Jun 13, 2011, 4:47 PM EDT
Kerry Wood took less money to return to the Cubs as a free agent this offseason and has pitched well with a 2.25 ERA and 21/10 K/BB ratio in 24 innings setting up Carlos Marmol, but now a blister on his right index finger has forced him to the disabled list.
Wood has been pitching through the blister for a couple weeks, mostly successfully, but hasn’t appeared in a game since Wednesday. He’ll be eligible to come off the DL next weekend.
Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that the Cubs are swapping a pitcher for a hitter while putting Wood on the shelf, activating Jeff Baker from the DL to replace him on the roster. Baker has been out since late May with a groin injury.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)