Jun 13, 2011, 4:47 PM EDT
Kerry Wood took less money to return to the Cubs as a free agent this offseason and has pitched well with a 2.25 ERA and 21/10 K/BB ratio in 24 innings setting up Carlos Marmol, but now a blister on his right index finger has forced him to the disabled list.
Wood has been pitching through the blister for a couple weeks, mostly successfully, but hasn’t appeared in a game since Wednesday. He’ll be eligible to come off the DL next weekend.
Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that the Cubs are swapping a pitcher for a hitter while putting Wood on the shelf, activating Jeff Baker from the DL to replace him on the roster. Baker has been out since late May with a groin injury.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)