Jun 13, 2011, 4:47 PM EDT
Kerry Wood took less money to return to the Cubs as a free agent this offseason and has pitched well with a 2.25 ERA and 21/10 K/BB ratio in 24 innings setting up Carlos Marmol, but now a blister on his right index finger has forced him to the disabled list.
Wood has been pitching through the blister for a couple weeks, mostly successfully, but hasn’t appeared in a game since Wednesday. He’ll be eligible to come off the DL next weekend.
Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that the Cubs are swapping a pitcher for a hitter while putting Wood on the shelf, activating Jeff Baker from the DL to replace him on the roster. Baker has been out since late May with a groin injury.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 23
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 66
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)