Jun 13, 2011, 4:47 PM EDT
Kerry Wood took less money to return to the Cubs as a free agent this offseason and has pitched well with a 2.25 ERA and 21/10 K/BB ratio in 24 innings setting up Carlos Marmol, but now a blister on his right index finger has forced him to the disabled list.
Wood has been pitching through the blister for a couple weeks, mostly successfully, but hasn’t appeared in a game since Wednesday. He’ll be eligible to come off the DL next weekend.
Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that the Cubs are swapping a pitcher for a hitter while putting Wood on the shelf, activating Jeff Baker from the DL to replace him on the roster. Baker has been out since late May with a groin injury.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 10
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 31
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)