Jun 13, 2011, 4:47 PM EDT
Kerry Wood took less money to return to the Cubs as a free agent this offseason and has pitched well with a 2.25 ERA and 21/10 K/BB ratio in 24 innings setting up Carlos Marmol, but now a blister on his right index finger has forced him to the disabled list.
Wood has been pitching through the blister for a couple weeks, mostly successfully, but hasn’t appeared in a game since Wednesday. He’ll be eligible to come off the DL next weekend.
Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that the Cubs are swapping a pitcher for a hitter while putting Wood on the shelf, activating Jeff Baker from the DL to replace him on the roster. Baker has been out since late May with a groin injury.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)