Jun 13, 2011, 10:54 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Yankees have announced that Jeter was diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain of his right calf. He will be reevaluated tomorrow.
10:18 PM: According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, the Yankees have sent Jeter for an MRI on his sore right calf.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said his gut feeling is that Jeter will not play Tuesday and added “obviously we’re worried about him.”
It sounds like any hopes of Jeter reaching 3,000 hits on this homestand are out the window. At least for now.
9:04 PM: Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Jeter was diagnosed with a sore right calf.
8:59 PM: The chase to 3,000 hits is temporarily on hold.
Derek Jeter left tonight’s game against the Indians after flying out to right field in the top of the fifth inning. He was replaced by Eduardo Nunez to begin the bottom-half of the inning, though the exact nature of the injury isn’t yet clear.
Jeter collected hit No. 2994 with a leadoff single in the first inning.
We’ll pass along an update on his status as soon as it’s made available by the team. It’s worth noting that Jeter hasn’t been on the disabled list since suffering a dislocated shoulder in 2003.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 56
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Report: Pete Rose bet on baseball as a player, not just as a manager (148)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- First-ever female baseball player added to MLB’s international registration list (104)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)