Jun 13, 2011, 10:54 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Yankees have announced that Jeter was diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain of his right calf. He will be reevaluated tomorrow.
10:18 PM: According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, the Yankees have sent Jeter for an MRI on his sore right calf.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said his gut feeling is that Jeter will not play Tuesday and added “obviously we’re worried about him.”
It sounds like any hopes of Jeter reaching 3,000 hits on this homestand are out the window. At least for now.
9:04 PM: Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Jeter was diagnosed with a sore right calf.
8:59 PM: The chase to 3,000 hits is temporarily on hold.
Derek Jeter left tonight’s game against the Indians after flying out to right field in the top of the fifth inning. He was replaced by Eduardo Nunez to begin the bottom-half of the inning, though the exact nature of the injury isn’t yet clear.
Jeter collected hit No. 2994 with a leadoff single in the first inning.
We’ll pass along an update on his status as soon as it’s made available by the team. It’s worth noting that Jeter hasn’t been on the disabled list since suffering a dislocated shoulder in 2003.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)