Jun 13, 2011, 10:54 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Yankees have announced that Jeter was diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain of his right calf. He will be reevaluated tomorrow.
10:18 PM: According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, the Yankees have sent Jeter for an MRI on his sore right calf.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said his gut feeling is that Jeter will not play Tuesday and added “obviously we’re worried about him.”
It sounds like any hopes of Jeter reaching 3,000 hits on this homestand are out the window. At least for now.
9:04 PM: Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Jeter was diagnosed with a sore right calf.
8:59 PM: The chase to 3,000 hits is temporarily on hold.
Derek Jeter left tonight’s game against the Indians after flying out to right field in the top of the fifth inning. He was replaced by Eduardo Nunez to begin the bottom-half of the inning, though the exact nature of the injury isn’t yet clear.
Jeter collected hit No. 2994 with a leadoff single in the first inning.
We’ll pass along an update on his status as soon as it’s made available by the team. It’s worth noting that Jeter hasn’t been on the disabled list since suffering a dislocated shoulder in 2003.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)