Jun 13, 2011, 10:54 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Yankees have announced that Jeter was diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain of his right calf. He will be reevaluated tomorrow.
10:18 PM: According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, the Yankees have sent Jeter for an MRI on his sore right calf.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said his gut feeling is that Jeter will not play Tuesday and added “obviously we’re worried about him.”
It sounds like any hopes of Jeter reaching 3,000 hits on this homestand are out the window. At least for now.
9:04 PM: Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Jeter was diagnosed with a sore right calf.
8:59 PM: The chase to 3,000 hits is temporarily on hold.
Derek Jeter left tonight’s game against the Indians after flying out to right field in the top of the fifth inning. He was replaced by Eduardo Nunez to begin the bottom-half of the inning, though the exact nature of the injury isn’t yet clear.
Jeter collected hit No. 2994 with a leadoff single in the first inning.
We’ll pass along an update on his status as soon as it’s made available by the team. It’s worth noting that Jeter hasn’t been on the disabled list since suffering a dislocated shoulder in 2003.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)