Jun 13, 2011, 10:54 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Yankees have announced that Jeter was diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain of his right calf. He will be reevaluated tomorrow.
10:18 PM: According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, the Yankees have sent Jeter for an MRI on his sore right calf.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said his gut feeling is that Jeter will not play Tuesday and added “obviously we’re worried about him.”
It sounds like any hopes of Jeter reaching 3,000 hits on this homestand are out the window. At least for now.
9:04 PM: Marc Carig of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that Jeter was diagnosed with a sore right calf.
8:59 PM: The chase to 3,000 hits is temporarily on hold.
Derek Jeter left tonight’s game against the Indians after flying out to right field in the top of the fifth inning. He was replaced by Eduardo Nunez to begin the bottom-half of the inning, though the exact nature of the injury isn’t yet clear.
Jeter collected hit No. 2994 with a leadoff single in the first inning.
We’ll pass along an update on his status as soon as it’s made available by the team. It’s worth noting that Jeter hasn’t been on the disabled list since suffering a dislocated shoulder in 2003.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 16
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)