Jun 13, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
We learned in late April that Livan Hernandez is the target of a federal probe related to money laundering on behalf of convicted Puerto Rican drug trafficker Angel Ayala Vázquez. Today the Washington Times has a report, based on court transcripts and other official records, fleshing out the alleged scenario:
Now the target of a federal money-laundering investigation, Mr. Hernandez is suspected of being a “straw buyer” for Ayala-Vazquez, according to a high-ranking law enforcement source. A straw buyer purchases items for others in their own name, allowing the proceeds from illegal activities such as drug trafficking to be hidden.
The 63-page indictment said the conspiracy by Ayala-Vazquez and his co-defendants used the “straw buyers” to purchase real estate, cars and businesses to make their drug profits appear legitimate.
The story has more details, none of which change the initial reports, it seems, but which do at least shed more light.
One would think that even if no criminal charges spin out of this against Hernandez — he could be a dupe, after all, or the testimony implicating him could be false — that, at the very least, the government could go after Hernandez for serious financial penalties for having financial dealings with drug traffickers.
So, no, not good.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 3
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 17
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 213
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (212)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)