Jun 13, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
We learned in late April that Livan Hernandez is the target of a federal probe related to money laundering on behalf of convicted Puerto Rican drug trafficker Angel Ayala Vázquez. Today the Washington Times has a report, based on court transcripts and other official records, fleshing out the alleged scenario:
Now the target of a federal money-laundering investigation, Mr. Hernandez is suspected of being a “straw buyer” for Ayala-Vazquez, according to a high-ranking law enforcement source. A straw buyer purchases items for others in their own name, allowing the proceeds from illegal activities such as drug trafficking to be hidden.
The 63-page indictment said the conspiracy by Ayala-Vazquez and his co-defendants used the “straw buyers” to purchase real estate, cars and businesses to make their drug profits appear legitimate.
The story has more details, none of which change the initial reports, it seems, but which do at least shed more light.
One would think that even if no criminal charges spin out of this against Hernandez — he could be a dupe, after all, or the testimony implicating him could be false — that, at the very least, the government could go after Hernandez for serious financial penalties for having financial dealings with drug traffickers.
So, no, not good.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 0
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 61
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 29
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (156)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)