Jun 13, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
We learned in late April that Livan Hernandez is the target of a federal probe related to money laundering on behalf of convicted Puerto Rican drug trafficker Angel Ayala Vázquez. Today the Washington Times has a report, based on court transcripts and other official records, fleshing out the alleged scenario:
Now the target of a federal money-laundering investigation, Mr. Hernandez is suspected of being a “straw buyer” for Ayala-Vazquez, according to a high-ranking law enforcement source. A straw buyer purchases items for others in their own name, allowing the proceeds from illegal activities such as drug trafficking to be hidden.
The 63-page indictment said the conspiracy by Ayala-Vazquez and his co-defendants used the “straw buyers” to purchase real estate, cars and businesses to make their drug profits appear legitimate.
The story has more details, none of which change the initial reports, it seems, but which do at least shed more light.
One would think that even if no criminal charges spin out of this against Hernandez — he could be a dupe, after all, or the testimony implicating him could be false — that, at the very least, the government could go after Hernandez for serious financial penalties for having financial dealings with drug traffickers.
So, no, not good.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 40
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 47
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 27
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)