Jun 13, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
This is really a play for this season, because surgery would end it and rehab has at least a shot at getting him back in uniform. Over the long haul, though, he’s expected to need surgery due to the damage he did to it.
This is one of those deals where, if the Giants weren’t contenders, or if Sanchez was some hot up-and-coming dude, you’d probably want to do surgery now, but if there’s a chance that Sanchez can be back to provide depth and a potentially useful bat in a playoff push or in the playoffs themselves, the Giants owe to themselves to give it a crack.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)