Freddy Sanchez to try to avoid surgery on bum shoulder

Jun 13, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

Freddy Sanchez injured AP

Sticking with the Giants, the San Jose Mercury-News is saying that, rather than opt to have surgery on his dislocated shoulder, Freddy Sanchez is going to try to go the rehab route.

This is really a play for this season, because surgery would end it and rehab has at least a shot at getting him back in uniform.  Over the long haul, though, he’s expected to need surgery due to the damage he did to it.

This is one of those deals where, if the Giants weren’t contenders, or if Sanchez was some hot up-and-coming dude, you’d probably want to do surgery now, but if there’s a chance that Sanchez can be back to provide depth and a potentially useful bat in a playoff push or in the playoffs themselves, the Giants owe to themselves to give it a crack.

1. dreadpiratesteve - Jun 13, 2011 at 10:57 AM

This one is tough. As a Giants fan, I want what’s best for the Giants to help them win. But as a Freddy Sanchez fan, I want what’s best for Freddy. I fear he may be seriously jeopardizing his what future he has left with this move. I know he’s a key for the team both with the bat and the glove but I’m afraid this season is a lost cause. Too many key components are on the shelf and I doubt we’ve seen the end of it.

Say it with me now:

SHORT-ER SEASON!!!
    SHORT-ER SEASON!!!

• tomemos - Jun 13, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Who in the West do you see keeping up with the Giants? The D-Backs? It is to laugh.

2. ciscosrams - Jun 13, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Please tell me in what way is this a “lost” season? The Giants are still in first place despite all these injuries. Panda is back and so will Fontenote. This is the type of team the Giants are. They have bench players that step up when needed

3. dreadpiratesteve - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I’m not throwing in the towel in any way guys. I’m simply saying last year everything went our way. This year baseball karma is coming full circle. Posey is done for the year, Freddy is likely the same now. I am not saying give up but I am saying that the magic of last year is unlikely.

tomemos: I totally agree. This is the worst division in baseball, even a crippled Giants team is a runaway favorite.

I would really like to see this trend of young players being brought up continue as well. Out with Burrell and in with Thomas Neal. Start fast tracking Gary Brown as well, that kid is lighting San Jose on Fire!

4. dreadpiratesteve - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I apologize if I sound negative. Posey and Freddy are two of my favorite Giants and losing both of them has put me in a foul mood. My wife won’t be in the same room as me.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5570)