Jun 13, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Hanley Ramirez batted second or third in the Marlins’ lineup for each of his 47 starts prior to landing on the disabled list with back problems, but Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports that he’ll return from the DL tomorrow as Florida’s leadoff man.
Ramirez has been out since May 30 and the Marlins have dropped 13 of 16 games, falling to third place in the NL East at 32-32.
Prior to his being shut down with back pain so severe it kept Ramirez from being able to tie his shoes the Marlins were winning despite his hitting just .210 with four homers and a .615 OPS that’s 275 points below his career norm.
Ramirez told Spencer that his back “is better now” and explained that he’d be fine leading off, saying: “I love it. Anything for the team. It doesn’t matter. I’ll be 9, 8, 7, I just want to be out there.” About half of his career starts have come in the leadoff spot, where Ramirez has hit .311 with a .925 OPS while scoring 333 runs in 400 games.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 10
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)