Jun 13, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
I’m torn about the Mavericks winning a title. On the one hand, hey, great for them! On the other hand, this is only going to increase the “baseball should totally let Mark Cuban buy a team!” chorus that happens every time a current owner so much as farts out of key. Oh well, here’s what else went down:
- Realignment? Eliminating divisions? Hurm.
- A key break in the Bryan Stow beating case.
- Elvis Andrus lollygaged the ball around the infield. He lollygaged his way down to first. He lollygaged in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes him? A lollygagger!
- Pablo Sandoval catching? Hmm, he might want to gain some weight for that …
- Colby Rasmus’ father runs his mouth again.
- Johan Santana could be back by late July. Not sure that I’d actually pitch him, but hey, the Mets aren’t my team.
- More carnage for the Giants. Freddy Sanchez goes down and Bill Hall enters the picture.
- Jason Heyward hits off a tee; later the tee publicly questions Heyward’s toughness.
- It’s not getting better for Aroldis Chapman.
- Things got chippy between the Indians and Yankees over the weekend.
- Somebody asked former Mets hitting coach Howard Johnson about benching Jason Bay, so he offered his opinion. No word on whether someone yelled “Howard Johnson is right!”
- Mark Ellis may have lost his job.
Now, hockey, please, finish this non-baseball nonsense off, OK?
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)