Jun 13, 2011, 7:40 PM EDT
It sounds like Chipper Jones may soon get his wish.
Jason Heyward will begin a minor league rehab assignment tonight with Triple-A Gwinnett, reports David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. It’s a rather surprising turn of events considering that Heyward just swung off a tee for the first time on Friday.
It’s not clear how long Heyward will spend in the minors, but O’Brien speculates that he could be back as soon as Wednesday or Thursday. It could just be a coincidence, but the Gwinnett Braves have a scheduled off-day on Wednesday. Either way, he’s close.
Heyward has been sidelined since May 22 with right shoulder soreness. The 21-year-old outfielder was batting .214/.317/.407 with seven homers and 14 RBI over his first 161 plate appearances before landing on the disabled list.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 114
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (129)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)