Jun 13, 2011, 7:40 PM EST
It sounds like Chipper Jones may soon get his wish.
Jason Heyward will begin a minor league rehab assignment tonight with Triple-A Gwinnett, reports David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. It’s a rather surprising turn of events considering that Heyward just swung off a tee for the first time on Friday.
It’s not clear how long Heyward will spend in the minors, but O’Brien speculates that he could be back as soon as Wednesday or Thursday. It could just be a coincidence, but the Gwinnett Braves have a scheduled off-day on Wednesday. Either way, he’s close.
Heyward has been sidelined since May 22 with right shoulder soreness. The 21-year-old outfielder was batting .214/.317/.407 with seven homers and 14 RBI over his first 161 plate appearances before landing on the disabled list.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 329
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (329)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)