Jun 13, 2011, 7:40 PM EDT
It sounds like Chipper Jones may soon get his wish.
Jason Heyward will begin a minor league rehab assignment tonight with Triple-A Gwinnett, reports David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. It’s a rather surprising turn of events considering that Heyward just swung off a tee for the first time on Friday.
It’s not clear how long Heyward will spend in the minors, but O’Brien speculates that he could be back as soon as Wednesday or Thursday. It could just be a coincidence, but the Gwinnett Braves have a scheduled off-day on Wednesday. Either way, he’s close.
Heyward has been sidelined since May 22 with right shoulder soreness. The 21-year-old outfielder was batting .214/.317/.407 with seven homers and 14 RBI over his first 161 plate appearances before landing on the disabled list.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)