Jun 13, 2011, 1:42 PM EST
Jason Marquis was injured and terrible last season, going 2-9 with a 6.60 ERA in 13 starts, but now that he’s healthy and pitching well the 32-year-old impending free agent told Bill Ladson of MLB.com that he wants to remain with the Nationals beyond this season.
Oh, and he’d like a multi-year contract:
Anybody would want a multi-year deal. That’s how the game works. I don’t think anyone would turn down a four for a one. I would love to stay here. I think we have a good thing going here. There are so many good guys, it would be a shame to not be a part of it. It has to be mutual on both sides. Whether it’s now or at the end of the season, we’ll figure something out.
Marquis is about two-thirds of the way through a two-year, $15 million deal and the Nationals have gotten 140 innings of a 4.90 ERA for that money, and even his current 3.67 ERA in 13 starts comes with a mediocre 47/23 K/BB ratio in 81 innings that suggests it’ll be tough to sustain. After giving the Nationals zero value for their $7.5 million last year and so-so value at best for their $15 million overall, what are the odds he’s willing to take a pay cut to stick around?
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 38
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 154
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (155)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)