Jun 13, 2011, 1:42 PM EDT
Jason Marquis was injured and terrible last season, going 2-9 with a 6.60 ERA in 13 starts, but now that he’s healthy and pitching well the 32-year-old impending free agent told Bill Ladson of MLB.com that he wants to remain with the Nationals beyond this season.
Oh, and he’d like a multi-year contract:
Anybody would want a multi-year deal. That’s how the game works. I don’t think anyone would turn down a four for a one. I would love to stay here. I think we have a good thing going here. There are so many good guys, it would be a shame to not be a part of it. It has to be mutual on both sides. Whether it’s now or at the end of the season, we’ll figure something out.
Marquis is about two-thirds of the way through a two-year, $15 million deal and the Nationals have gotten 140 innings of a 4.90 ERA for that money, and even his current 3.67 ERA in 13 starts comes with a mediocre 47/23 K/BB ratio in 81 innings that suggests it’ll be tough to sustain. After giving the Nationals zero value for their $7.5 million last year and so-so value at best for their $15 million overall, what are the odds he’s willing to take a pay cut to stick around?
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)