Jeremy Guthrie is funny

Jun 13, 2011, 7:05 PM EST

Jeremy Guthrie Getty Images

And he deserves better than a 2-8 record this season.

Jeremy Guthrie tweeted today:

I would like to formally wish @SimplyAJ10 luck in crossing the CA border 2nite. High powered immigration lawyer on flight just in case!

SimplyAJ10 happens to be teammate Adam Jones, and Guthrie is, of course, referring to the incident in Toronto last year when Jones was detained by customs officials as the Orioles went to play the Blue Jays.

So, best of luck to Jones and better luck to Guthrie, who has a 3.77 ERA to go along with his 2-8 record.  Jake Arrieta has somehow gone 8-3 for the same team while posting a 4.48 ERA in his 14 starts.

1. pjmitch - Jun 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Maybe he better worry about pitching instead of being a stand-up comic.

• Panda Claus - Jun 13, 2011 at 7:24 PM

He’s tanked a couple of games to be sure, but with the poor run support he’s received it’s surprising he can even have a sense of humor.

Guthrie is turning out to be the 2011 version of Kevin Millwood. Not great, but certainly not as bad as his record indicates.

• scatterbrian - Jun 13, 2011 at 7:27 PM

Oooh burn!!!

2. cur68 - Jun 13, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Leave Jeremy Guthrie alone. He can be funny all he wants. So long as he’s not laughing after his start against the Beavermen of Toronto, I shall look forward to his updates of his teammate’s troubles with the Canadian Border Authorities. They are as humorless, stern, small minded a group of people as any I have ever encountered and if they want to hang on to Adam Jones for a few days that is fine with me so long as they release him unharmed after the Orioles and Jays are done.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 13, 2011 at 9:06 PM

Unfortunately Jones has quite a reputation. “And then along came Jones. Tall thin Jones. Slow walkin Jones. Slow talkin Jones. Along came lean lanky Jones”. They needed time to decide if he was that Jones or possibly another person with the same name who was applying for refugee status. We do have another refugee from Baltimore on the Jays and a second one would not help.

• cur68 - Jun 13, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Damn. I had no idea he was THAT Jones. Well as soon as Sweet Sue vouches for him he’ll be fine. Providing its not that boy named Sue. Canadian Border Authorities don’t like that sort of confusion.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 13, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Can you blame them? It is difficult keeping up with all the Joneses.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 13, 2011 at 9:48 PM

You funny Canucks! I jest of course :-)

• jimbo1949 - Jun 13, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Maybe he did a Bouton and declared guns and marijuana at the border?

• cur68 - Jun 13, 2011 at 11:11 PM

I once bought a “Guns & Ammo” magazine in Montana where I’d been skiing. I declared it to the customs agent. Man you’da thought I threw down on the guy with a bazooka. NO sense of humor.

I hope Mr. Guthrie can keep his clearly well developed sense of the laughs in check when he reaches the border.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 14, 2011 at 8:27 AM

I quoted a 1950’s Coasters song last night and this morning I learned that the lead singer of the Coasters had died this week.It wasn’t planned. Had I but known, I would also have quoted Searchin, Young Blood, Charlie Brown, Yakety Yak and Poison Ivey.

• jwbiii - Jun 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM

“We do have another refugee from Baltimore on the Jays”

B.J. Ryan is off the payroll this year. . .

• NS_Export - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:30 AM

You call Canadian Border Authorities small minded? You should try being on the other side of that lineup, US Customs staff can be just as humorless and small minded.

3. ditto65 - Jun 13, 2011 at 9:29 PM

You can get, anything you want, at Alice’s Restaurant…

• proudlycanadian - Jun 13, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Just watch out for Officer Obie.

• Panda Claus - Jun 13, 2011 at 10:52 PM

If you asked Billy Joel, he’d have said “at my Italian restaurant” instead.

4. adeedothatswho - Jun 13, 2011 at 9:57 PM

What’s really interesting about his numbers is during the day, his numbers are simply terrible. During night games, his numbers are stellar. I’ve been following this strategy in fantasy to the tune of a 2.12 ERA, 1.00 WHIP and .228 BAA.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4846)
  2. M. Kemp (3442)
  3. J. Upton (2516)
  4. J. Kang (2479)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2460)
  1. C. McGehee (2439)