Jun 13, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Brian Matusz was being counted on to anchor a young Orioles rotation after throwing 176 innings with a 4.30 ERA as a rookie last year, but instead he missed the first two months of the season with a strained intercostal muscle and hasn’t looked very impressive since coming off the disabled list.
Matusz failed to make it out of the second inning yesterday and afterward manager Buck Showalter had some pretty harsh criticism for the 24-year-old left-hander:
He had a good statistical return but he just wasn’t able to defend himself today–running game and stuff-wise. He’s telling us he feels fine. Just not a whole lot coming out right now.
Showalter was especially peeved about Matusz allowing four stolen bases to Rays runners:
He keeps telling us he can read them. It’s been a challenge for him. Maybe we’ll be able to get his attention a little bit more.
Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun speculates that “get his attention a little more” could involve bumping Matusz from the rotation, but it seems likely that he’ll get at least another start or two before that happens.
Rays manager Joe Maddon believes the Rays were beating up on an injured pitcher, saying: “I think there may be something not quite right with Matusz. I’m certain he’s not feeling 100 percent.”
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)