LeBron James = Alex Rodriguez

Jun 13, 2011, 3:44 PM EDT

LeBron James AP

LeBron James was the most talented player to enter the NBA since Michael Jordan or maybe even since Wilt Chamberlain. Yet he’s now gone eight seasons without winning it all. When his Cavs reached the Finals in 2006-07 and lost to the Spurs, he was absolved of the blame. He was just 22, and his teammates were outclassed.

King James, though, was fairly criticized after the Eastern Conference Finals loss to the Celtics in 2009-10 and he’s getting far worse this time around. His passive play was at times shocking to watch. James should be able to carry a team when he’s on. In the Finals, it looked like he was waiting and hoping someone else would do the heavy lifting.

Alex Rodriguez was the most talented player to enter MLB since Willie Mays or Mickey Mantle? The Babe? No position player can make as much of a difference on the field as a basketball superstar can on the court, but A-Rod was put into a position that allowed him to win right away. His Mariners reached the postseason in his second full season.

Those talented Mariners, though, couldn’t get over the hump. A-Rod took the money and ran to Texas, yet failed to reach the postseason in his three seasons there. After first working to get himself traded to Boston, he ended up with the Yankees instead, making annual postseason visits an expectation.

And A-Rod flopped after an exceptional ALDS against the Twins in his postseason debut with the Yankees in 2004. He struggled in the latter games as the Red Sox came back from a 3-0 deficit to beat the Bombers in the ALCS. Then in the team’s next three postseason series, all losses, he drove in one run in 13 games. Manager Joe Torre went so far as to drop him to the eighth spot in the lineup.

A-Rod finally redeemed himself in 2009, hitting .365 with six homers and 18 RBI in 15 games as the Yankees won the World Series.

LeBron will likely follow a similar path to a championship.  He will have his moment in the sun.  Though it’s worth wondering if he’ll play second banana to Dwyane Wade when it happens.

1. steveflack - Jun 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM

So, does that make Dwayne Wade=Derek Jeter?

• cur68 - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:15 PM

I think so, yes. Wade has the class and LeBron, well, he’s a bit ham fisted with the public perception isn’t he? “Take my talents to South Beach” indeed! He puts the ass in class for that bit of mismanagement. You could easily say the same about Jeter and ARod.

• cur68 - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Thinking even more about the comparison, I do believe that James has the better play off #’s than Wade but will carry the blame, much like ARod had some of the better playoff numbers as well but was blamed even when out performing Jeter and friends.

• CJ - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:22 PM

If you’re going to look at it off the court, yeah, I’d agree. However, I think if any of the top 5-10 players in the NBA are underrated, it’d be Wade. James has taken over the headlines nationally but isn’t even the best player on that team, Wade is.

And there is NOTHING about Jeter that’s underrated.

• CJ - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:25 PM

“And there is NOTHING about Jeter that’s underrated.”

…except for the fact his underratedness is underrated.

• cur68 - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:26 PM

I bow to your superior knowledge of the subject CJ. I was assuming James was the best player on The Heat based on the amount of press he receives. How ironic then that Wade has the better #s. Analogy fail, then.

I don’t believe anyone said Jeter was underrated; under criticized was defiantly implied though. He should bear way more blame than ARod for certain playoff losses.

• CJ - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:19 PM

agree to disagree. When it came playoff time, Wade’s the better player, regardless of the numbers. Besides, who has the better numbers between Jeter and A-Rod?

• Alex K - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:20 PM

LeBron is the Heats best player. Heck, LeBron is the best player in the NBA.

• iluvarod007 - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:37 PM

AROD is the best. stop hating on the best player in baseball bc he is better than Jeter

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Yes, and just like Derek Jeter, Wade won’t be taken to task for his multiple mistakes late in games that likely cost them the Finals.

• Glenn - Jun 13, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Something that has quietly passed under the radar – Jeter’s career post-season numbers are now lower than his career regular season numbers. Mr Clutch hasn’t been so clutch in recent years. Of course, his lifetime regular season numbers are all-time great, so there is no great shame in post-season number being lower.

2. nfugitt - Jun 13, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Worth noting that most of A-Rod’s teammates from 2004-08 were garbage in the postseason too. And sometimes they’d be way worse than him.

For example: Jeter in the 2004 ALCS that was all A-Rod’s fault: .200/.333/.233 A-Rod’s line in that series? .258/.378/.516

ALDS in 2007. One that got Joe Torre fired 3 years after he should have been:

Team ERA: 5.89
    Jeter: .176/.176/.176
    Posada: .133/.235/.200
    Giambi: .250/.250/.250
    UNCLUTCH LOSER A-ROD: .267/.353/.467

• ssazz - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Hm, to illustrate your point that most of Alex’s teammates were “garbage” in the post season’s between ’04-’08 (even though they didn’t even make playoffs in ’08) you highlighted a couple of specific series, and then seemed to focus the contrast specifically between Alex and Jeter. Hm?

Any particular reason why you didn’t highlight, say, the 2005 ALDS? :

Jeter
      .333/.348/.619

A Rod

.133/.435/.200

Or the 2006 ALDS, for that matter?

Jeter
      .500/.529./938

A Rod
      .071/.133/.071

I guess you could call Derek’s numbers “garbage” in those years, or you could just not mention them? Either way. You certainly wouldn’t want to mention that in the playoffs between ’05 – ’07 Jeter hit 3 HR’s to Alex’s 1 HR, over that three year span. And Derek wasn’t the highest paid player in the game hitting in the clean up spot during those years. Alex appropriated the “choke” designation during those years because that is specifically what he did. Jeter or Jorge, or whoever else might’ve had a down series over that span and then contributed to those losses, but Alex did nothing. (plus, aside from having both good and bad postseason series over that span, Jeter and Jorge had already done it. Alex was the one talking about how nobody feared Jeter when they came to Yankee Stadium back when he was with the Mariners. So when it came time to do what Derek had already done, Alex found it wasn’t so easy afterall, even in the prime of a HoF career)

Alex wasn’t considered the only reason they lost in 2004 either, I’ve never heard that argument anyway. It was a team wide collapse, and he (and Matsui) were most of the reason they were even up 3-0 in the first place. Nah, I don’t think there was any discussion of Alex being a Bond’s like choke artist (Pirates era Barry, that is) in the ’04 offseason. That all started to develop over the next three years while Alex, who admits it now himself, was choking completely.

Thankfully, he turned that all upside down in ’09!!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:10 PM

The reason he mentioned them is that Jeter never got the blame for performing badly in the post season. From the ’03 to ’08 stretch, it was Arod Arod Arod all the time. There were some series, that you highlighted, were Jeter did well*. Some he did not. No one cared about that though because (stealing a FJM word) he was fill with pinstripitude that transcended what Arod could do.

*99% of the series failures were the fault of the pitching. Holy crap look at some of those 5 game series. IIRC the Yanks had more pitching lines of 3IP or less than quality starts during that period. It was terrible.

• ssazz - Jun 13, 2011 at 6:44 PM

Well, Alex wasn’t with the Yankees in ’03, but other than that you kind of addressed your own complaint. It was “Arod, Arod, Arod” all the time because other guys were just having normal fluctuations, no player is going to always hit in every playoff series or game. But after the collapse in ’04, Alex never did anything, period, over the next three postseasons. (again, he cops to this, not even sure why it’s an issue)

I do agree on the pitching though, and it’s an excellent argument for those that point out Jeter never won without those great staffs and bullpens of the late 90′s/early 00′s. He didn’t. (but he also played damn well in some of the series they did lose) To me the number one culprit for the ’04 collapse was Big Stein himself. Why he ever ran Pettitte out of town, especially after the way he pitched in the playoffs in ’03, I will never understand. Let alone, to bring in total stiffs like Kevin Brown to try and replace him. If Andy had been able to take the ball in one of those final ’04 games against the Sox I like to think he would’ve at least done better than Brown… ugh.*

*I don’t begrudge saying that the Sox might’ve beaten him anyway, once they turned the corner in that one I’m not sure they could’ve been stopped.

3. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:05 PM

I don’t buy it Matt. The “waiting around for someone else to do something” isn’t really possible in baseball as it is in basketball, simply because there are designated times when you are up there and by definition tryign to do something. A-Rod can’t really take himself out and ask that Ramiro Pena take over or something. He struggled against good pitching in the postseason for a while. I don’t think it’s analogous to being constantly on the court, in the flow of the game, and refusing to take shots or force action.

4. Alex K - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:06 PM

So LeBron is histoy’s greatest monster? I mean, that what A-Rod is, right?

5. sportsdrenched - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Ugggh. Why did I even click on this?

6. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:12 PM

You missed another distinction: ARod has used steroids and Lebron has not.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Arod GOT CAUGHT using steroids, and LeBron did not. That is the real distinction. The rest is just supposition…

7. halladaysbicepts - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Matthew,

Never try to make a comparison between another sport and baseball. You look foolish.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Yeah, it doesn’t really work. In basketball a transcendent player can carry a team in a series. Can’t really happen in baseball.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Exactly. It’s not even comparative. Sh*t reporting, I would say. Ridiculous, I say really is the case here.

Matt, don’t incorprorate other sports into a baseball conversation. We don’t want to hear it.

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Foolish? As opposed to how you look every single day in this space? Just because one article misses doesn’t give you license to be an ass about it. Enjoy your free content and criticize the piece, if you have to, but your attack on a writer, and calling his work “sh*t” is classless.

Given that it’s Matt’s show, I think he can make decisions about what content to post irrespective of your feelings, Bicepts. There are many times that a comparison between sports is apt and useful. While I don’t think this is one of those times, your claim to speak for “us” is ridiculous. If you don’t want to read the article, don’t click on it. Not every piece is tailored to your obviously very specific demands.

But what I find most hilarious is your claim that you don’t want to read about comparisons like this. Really? Then why did you click the link? Just ignore and move on. Nobody forced you to read it, and no one is making you pay for the privilege.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Common Man,

You are an a-hole, truely. Everyone that reads this blog know this to be the case. If you don’t agree with my opinion to a particular article, why do you continue to respond with such venom? Don’t you get it by now? We don’t agree on most baseball subjects…move on. Seriously, you are weak. Stick with your bs sabermetrics and leave me alone.

Get it, a-hole….you don’t own this blog. I will continue to give my opinion how I see fit.

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Nor do you own it, Bicepts. And nor do you speak for those who read it. You speak for yourself. That’s all.

I respond to you because I find your tone and your sense of superiority and entitlement offensive. And I find your opinions reactionary and often ill-informed. And I don’t think your particular viewpoints should be left unopposed. This can be a friendly comments section where ideas are exchanged respectfully. But you don’t seem to value that. So be it. You get what you give.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:22 PM

You know what, Common Man, here is what I find ofensive about you. You have your own “blog” and that you perform your “in-depth” studies about baseball and such. And you are coming on another blog to state your disaproval about me? Why? Are you that insecure about yourself that you have to continue to belittle me? I’ll tell you what the problem is. You know I know baseball, period. And that I like to talk baseball the right way and it does not fit into your little “Sabermetric” formula. And guess what? I don’t care.

My comments in this blog were not directed at you, they were directed at Matt for the bs comparison. If you write something that another person disagrees with and they have a comments section, you are entitled to respond.

• Alex K - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:25 PM

I don’t think your an a-hole Common Man….I think you’re hilarious. Keep on keepin’ on.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:35 PM

I find it ironic that “The Common Man” is criticizing somebody else for having an air of self entitlement. Talk about pot calling the kettle.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:37 PM

[Bicepts],

You are an a-hole, truely [sic]. Everyone that reads this blog know [sic] this to be the case….Don’t you get it by now? We don’t agree on [all] subjects…move on. Seriously, you are weak. Stick with your bs and leave [everyone] alone.

[edits courtesy of El Bravo]

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:41 PM

Good Doctor,

The Common Man is an idiot, plain and simple. He tries to discredit me because he’s probably some 16 year old sabermetrician who was offended by what I said (2) weeks ago about sabermetrics and wants to continue to attack when he deems fit, in his opinion.

In reality, his baseball knowledge is small in comparison to my own. He knows it, and he’s jealous.

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I don’t comment here because I feel insecure, Bicepts. I comment here because I love the community that Craig, Aaron, Matt, and Drew have put together here. I’m a huge fan of HBT, and it’s my primary source for baseball news, because it’s constantly updating all day (also, I’m secretly jealous of all of them, who have parlayed a real paying job out of something I continue to do mostly for free because I love it). Having my own site doesn’t preclude me from commenting here. I come here because I love the conversation, which I don’t often get on my own site.

I don’t believe that there’s a “right way” to talk about baseball. There’s a way that I talk about baseball, and that’s a way that resonates with a lot of people on the internet. But there can be lots of different conversations about baseball going on at once, and nobody has to feel left out. I don’t think you have to believe in the stats that I believe in, but I do think you should be able to argue respectfully for whatever evidence you want to use to make a point. And I don’t see you willing to do that.

Actually, I don’t think you know much, Bicepts, beyond your preconceived notions of how the world works and that everyone agrees with you or at least should. And that everybody who doesn’t sucks or is a liberal. It’s your attitude I object to, not your stats. We are all entitled to respond to anything on this blog, provided we do so responsibly. Thus, while you can say whatever you want (within reason) I am entitled to continue telling you that your responses are classless and ignorant whenever they are. Which is almost always.

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Oh, and Bob. I forgot about Bob.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Common Man,

???????

• scatterbrian - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM

What is a “bicept”?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Common Man,
        It is kinda lame that you advertise for your own blog in your screen name. You should look into changing that.

• Alex K - Jun 13, 2011 at 8:58 PM

You realize Common Man has been commenting on Craig’s blogs for many, many years, right? Also, from time to time he is linked.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 13, 2011 at 9:38 PM

So that somehow makes it less lame to advertise ones blog in ones own handle? It just burns me when people are so damn hypocritical. Sure sometimes ‘Bicepts can be blunt and a bit over the top, but the people who criticize him take it so seriously and come back at him the same way. Then try to act all high and mighty about it. Also, people need to realize that much of it is banter. I have found that Americans take things so seriously and need to lighten up.

• Alex K - Jun 14, 2011 at 8:52 AM

It’s not lame in the first place. It’s not like he’s putting links to his posts in the body of the comment. That is lame.

Bicepts brings out the worst in people. The general tone of a lot of his comments is hateful. Hate breeds hate.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:45 PM

…and by “we”, bicepts means himself/herself and drmonkeyarmy. I would never ever be lumped into the same pronoun as these two rabble-rousing ducksnorts. That said, this analogy barely works, but I see the reason you made the link Senor Pouliot.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:46 PM

I’m glad that we are converting you into our line of thinking.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:53 PM

This is one of the more dumb comparisons I have ever seen. Matt, instead of comparing A-Roid to one of his peers on a baseball blog, you compare him to someone who is not even in his sport. Weak.

8. scatterbrian - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:30 PM

“No position player can make as much of a difference on the field as a basketball superstar can on the court…”

This is where you should have said to yourself, “wait, this is pointless” and stopped.

But congrats! You got my click.

9. aceshigh11 - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I loathe LeBron James and his whiny, arrogant narcissism as much as the next guy, but the spectacle of all these people declaring him a failure at 26 years old is absurd.

The Heat with their “Big Three” came within two games of winning it all in their first year together…they’ll undoubtedly be back.

If LeBron is still without a championship in 10 years, then we can discuss how much of a failure he is. Give it a rest already.

• cur68 - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Hmm…’failure’ isn’t a term anyone used there aces. Perhaps it’s more a poor public perception that was bandied about in the same vein as our young friend Alex Rodriguez. Neither has been called a failure, either by Mathew or any commenter as yet. In fact some of these comments are down right complimentary of ARod and a bit critical of Jeter. As for Mr. James’s similarity to Mr Rodriguez, I think all are in agreement that both seem to lack a certain talent for their public image?

• aceshigh11 - Jun 13, 2011 at 7:12 PM

I know…my post was more of a generalized rant following the finals commentary from last night.

But yeah…LeBron and A-Rod are both piss-poor when it comes to image management…and it makes me laugh and laugh…

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:50 PM

This is true, but I find it fun to knock Lebron off his self-created pedestal a bit. He really does think he’s the greatest. This is fine if you are using that as the motivation to actually be the greatest, but it seems he uses this mentality off the court more than on the court, which makes people dislike him and want him to fail. The thing is, in basketball, power shifts like this can and do bring instant returns. James just isn’t good enough to do it. See Shaq, year 1 in Miami = ring. See Garnett, year 1 in Boston = ring. One big signing can give you instant success in bball, Lebron just wasn’t good enough. He CLEARLY is good enough to get a ring someday, but not this year and I’m elated about it.

• aceshigh11 - Jun 13, 2011 at 7:11 PM

That’s a great point about the “first year” effect in basketball, actually.

That honestly changes my opinion a bit…well done!

• Alex K - Jun 13, 2011 at 9:01 PM

It was actually Shaq’s second year in Miami when they won.

10. Jonny 5 - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:41 PM

“LeBron James was the most talented player to enter the NBA since Michael Jordan or maybe even since Wilt Chamberlain.”

What-everrrrr. He couldn’t even carry Magic Johnson’s jock. Not that b-ball players wear them, and if they did, Magic wouldn’t. That’s how badass he was on the court. Nothing like this mamby pamby “RINGLESS leader” is.

11. chargerdillon - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:56 PM

This just goes to show that most baseball people and baseball fans really are stupid. 23 comments of mostly A-Rod haters.

One thing to remember A-Rod has won a championship.

Be jealous that A-Rod can cheat in baseball and maked hundreds of millions of dollars
    Be jealous that A-Rod can cheat on his wife and still pull a hotter more successful woman than any of you any night of the week
    Be jealous that A-Rod can do all these things and still get paid and still have more people talking about him than most great baseball players who will never make as much money as him, pull as much trim, or even cheat as much as him

Be jealous, or better yet, get a life

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Nice. You call everyone stupid and then make the stupidest argument on the comments board yet. That takes actual effort to do so bravo!

• scatterbrian - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Jealousy is not the emotion that comes up when I think of cheaters. YMMV.

And seriously, are dudes jealous that A-Rod cheated on his wife? If you are, just get a divorce.

12. thefalcon123 - Jun 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM

World Series rings:
    Alex Rodriguez: 1
    Albert Pujols: 1
    Willie Mays: 1
    Hank Aaron: 1
    Barry Bonds: 0
    Ken Griffey Jr: 0
    Mike Schmidt: 1
    …ect, ect ect

Let’s not rush to shit on a guy with a .925 career postseason OPS because he only has one ring. And before everyone ignores sample size and chides him for having some bad series: Willie Mays had a career .660 postseason OPS.

13. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Arod took the most money and ran to Texas like any good American is supposed to do. LeBron turned down more money in other cities to go play in DWade’s shadow, where he remained during the playoffs.

So, at least Alex accepts the burden of being The Guy on his team.

Criticism of his postseason play is largely unwarranted. He has a .925 postseason OPS, and was pretty spectacular in playoff games except for the 13 games between 2005 and 2007. Let’s remember, the Yankees probably don’t play the Red Sox in 2004 if not for ARod’s series against the Twinkies that year.

Torre was a bad manager during those years, destroying the careers of many a middle reliever and only supporting guys who won with him in 1996-2000. If a player wan’t on those teams (i.e., Arod) Torre didn’t give a hoot. That is why we all remember those mid-aughts series for ARod choking more than we remember suspect pitching and general lineup malaise.

14. yankeesfanlen - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Well, now that I’ve stopped by to observe this mish-mash group of thoughtful observations, I can only add-
    LEAVE AROD ALONE!

• cur68 - Jun 13, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Len- I just knew, knew, #$%^&& knew, you were going to say this…

15. fugewes - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:35 PM

This is stupid. You list the resume and then just kind of tack on his ring and his postseason numbers from 2009.

2009 happened and comparing LeBron to A-Rod is ridiculous.

16. edyeno - Jun 13, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Absolutely STUPID headline. Complete muckraking. Don’t you think the average baseball fan is tired of bloggers and so called sports analysts telling us how hated ARod is? You writers appear like Donald Trump asking for Obama’s birth certificate. I watched a game a week or so ago from Los Angeles and many of the fans shown when he was up to bat were cheering for him. I’ve been to yankee Stadium and heard nothing for cheers for him. The continual rant about everyone hating him is just old and tired.

17. bigxrob - Jun 13, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Lebron has a tattoo that says “the chosen one”.
    I don’t recall A-rod ever being that arrogant.

18. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 13, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Lebron and ARod have have some things in common: In their public lives they are both overpaid prima donnas with enormous egos who get paid a ridiculous amount of money to play a childrens game. Neither on of them desevre to be described as a “hero” or “role model” (but I tend to believe that about all sports people, no matter the sport). And lastly, both should be required to work in a real job and earn a real paycheck (again, i think this of all pro athletes) to show them how easy and enormously fake their reality is.

• addictedzone - Jun 13, 2011 at 7:01 PM

To be fair, ARod is the highest paid player in baseball at 32 million. Lebron is only the 22nd highest player in the NBA at 14.5 million.

You may be dismayed at what they are paid, but even Dan Gilbert knows that he pocketed a lot of money when LeBron was on the Cavs. I suspect the owner of the Heat is also dismayed this morning. Not because the Heat lost, but because he missed out on one more home date on Tuesday night to pad his pockets even more than he already has with Lebron on his team. No need for Heat management and their pockets to worry about next season though. They’ve already sold out the entire season ticket package for the year.

19. sasquash20 - Jun 14, 2011 at 12:34 AM

LeFraud is a joke. He stinks. He has no heart, no balls, no class, and no spine. The things he said after the lose only cement what a selfish, loser he is. Hes not the best player in the league and he never will be. Oh and Wade is a chump as well. He bitches every 2 seconds looking for a foul, and hes a classless dirty player. Go back and watch his antics in these playoffs, Celtics fans know what I’m talking about. I wish Peirce would have punched him in his face. The 2 of these stiffs along with the 6 foot 10 inch Marshmellow man need to man up if they want to get any respect.

On to Gayrod and Jeter. Gay rod can take his stats and stuff them. He was juicing longer then he said. Like Bonds he was a very good player who didn’t need to juice, but decided to get selfish and did his part in destroying the integrity and history of the game. I have no repect for Gay rod or any of those Juice guys. Jeter I have made respect. Hes a hard worker, who lays it on the line and always has. Also I hate the Yankees, but if I was a NYer I would root for them over the gayest team in sports the Mets. How can anyone that is not gay and from NY root for the Mets.

• Alex K - Jun 14, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Grow up.

• cur68 - Jun 14, 2011 at 9:09 AM

sasquash; what a wonderfully cogent and erudite piece of writing. Takes me back to my youth & our Jr High gym teacher. Lets call him Mr. Squash. He was also a raging intolerant homophobe and a racist too boot. Odd, isn’t it how the 2 conditions go together? Late in my 2nd year under his tutelage he failed to come to work for a week. Then the shop teacher took over his duties for the rest of our sweating season. It seemed Mr.Squash had run off and left his family. He took his neighbor with him and they went off to ‘be together’. His neighbor, it turned out, was a semi-retired fireman on disability named Carl. Carl was from out east by way of Jamaica. Those crazy kids just fell in love and that was that.

One day Squash, I hope you find your Carl and go far away from us. You’ll be happier too. No more trying to hide your feelings behind a veritable stream of anti-gay slurs, you can finally relax and be a much happier person. We on HBT will also be happy. Happy you are far away with your hot Carl.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 14, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Kind of strange, or at least multi-national for a Canadian to purloin the plot from “American Beauty”.
        Oh, well, it works.

• sasquash20 - Jun 14, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Take it easy tinkerbell

• sasquash20 - Jun 14, 2011 at 2:19 PM

The Mets are a hated rival of the Phillies which happen to be the team I root for. The Gayrod thing is just funny. So all you fruitcakes stop being such bitches. You cry when someone says fag or whatever. Stop taking everything so to heart. I really don’t care one way or the other about gays. Whatever makes you happy. I just know all Mets fans happen to be gay.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 14, 2011 at 2:35 PM

S20- To know for such a fact that all Mets fans are gay must have taken years of intensive research.
        Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

• cur68 - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Len; I agree. He can do all the ‘research’ he likes and we won’t judge him at all. In fact he should just go ‘research’ himself the stupid motheresearcher.

20. mrznyc - Jun 14, 2011 at 9:13 AM

They’re both arrogant jerks – That’s the comparison

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (3984)