Jun 13, 2011, 2:20 PM EST
Last night Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reported that Ryan Zimmerman could return from the disabled list as soon as Tuesday and today he confirmed it via team source, writing: “Now it’s definite.”
Zimmerman, who’s been out since mid-April with an abdominal injury that required surgery, went 8-for-21 (.381) with four extra-base hits and a 1.054 OPS while rehabbing in the minors.
He was off to a great start prior to the injury, hitting .357 with a 1.022 OPS through eight games, but Jerry Hairston Jr. and Alex Cora have struggled to replace him at third base, combining to hit just .255 with two homers and a .648 OPS since April 10.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)