Russell Martin scratched again, looking like DL candidate

Jun 13, 2011, 6:43 PM EDT

That can't be good for his back AP

Russell Martin returned Sunday after missing four days with back stiffness, but he wasn’t able to give it another go tonight, as the Yankees scratched him and started Francisco Cervelli behind the plate in the series finale against the Indians.

It makes one wonder if Martin might go on the disabled list within the next 24 hours.  Even if he might be capable of playing through his back problems, it doesn’t look like he’ll be an asset in the process.  He’s currently in a 2-for-32 slump that’s seen him drive in just one run since May 25.

The Yankees, though, have been very patient so far.  One reason for that, perhaps, is that Jesus Montero is in no position to come up and battle for time behind the plate.  The team’s top prospect is hitting .289 for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, but that comes with just four homers and a 50/12 K/BB ratio in 201 at-bats.  He’s going the wrong way, too, having hit .365 in April, .269 in May and just .130 in 23 at-bats so far this month.

So if the Yankees do decide to place Martin on the DL, odds are that Gustavo Molina would be called up to back up Cervelli.

1. proudlycanadian - Jun 13, 2011 at 6:49 PM

The Yankees should have traded Montero when everyone thought that he was a great hitting prospect.

• bigharold - Jun 13, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Do you ever get tired of dogging the Yankees?? Are you still PO’d that they signed Jimmy Key? What gives, .. perhaps it’s time to move on?

• proudlycanadian - Jun 14, 2011 at 9:21 AM

It is often difficult for me to get tired of making comments about the spawn of Darth Vader. I do not love New York and the New York media.

• bigharold - Jun 14, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Well I can say that the staff here on the bridge of the Death Star have nothing but nice things to say about Canada. Not you, .. just Canada.

2. deathmonkey41 - Jun 13, 2011 at 7:04 PM

This definately weakens the line up. As for Montero- he’s just over the legal drinking age- I wouldn’t write him off yet.

3. cur68 - Jun 13, 2011 at 7:45 PM

I think you gotta go with Molina. He’s got the pedigree, man. I mean he’s an faux Molina, true, but just on the name alone…

In all seriousness, the Yankees need Martin to be healthy for the balance of the season. Best thing for right now is Cervelli with either Montero or Molina as back up and Martin getting his back worked on and rested for the next 15 days.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 13, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Even though he didn’t hit, Molina was actually really good behind the plate. I thought the pitching staff responded to him and I believe he even threw a few guys ou. When it comes down to hitting, Cervelli and Molina are 6 of one and half dozen of the other. I think it would benefit Montero to be catching a majority of the time in the minors. If Martin is going to be out for an extended period of time, it might be a time to be up Jesus for a look-see.

4. pisano - Jun 13, 2011 at 8:20 PM

It’s looking like the 2011 Yankees are in the same boat as the 2010 Red Sox. When a team gets a rash of injuries it’s tough to compete.

• bigharold - Jun 13, 2011 at 9:33 PM

True but it will also give you an inkling as to how good ones farm system and by extension their DH is too.

Injuries wasn’t an excuse last year for the RS nor should it be for the Yankees this year. If the Royals or DBacks are complaining about injuries I get it but the big boys have no such excuse.

• bigharold - Jun 13, 2011 at 9:57 PM

“… and by extension their DH is too.” I meant GM. No typo just a view into my ability to multitask. I was watching the game.

• pisano - Jun 13, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Good point Harold, but as you and everyone knew going in to the season they were weak on starting pitching and now the bullpen is in trouble. Position players are going down and some of the regulars like Swisher and a few others aren’t producing, it could make an easy run for Boston. Lets hope not.

• bigharold - Jun 13, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I’m pretty hopeful. As Madden pointed out today, .. everybody needs BP help. Everybody could use another decent starter too. So that puts the Yankees in the same position as most team,. even the RS.

I think the Yankee farm hands can hold down the fort and hopefully I’m right but at some point the Yankees will find out one way or the other. Frankly I love a good fight so I like the position the Yankees are in. I’d truly hate it if the Yankees were 10 games in front by the end of Mat then just pulled away.

5. cup0pizza - Jun 13, 2011 at 10:01 PM

It was a matter of time before Martin pulled a labia. So glad he isn’t a Dodger anymore.

6. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 13, 2011 at 10:35 PM

The worst part about this is that if he is hurt and cant play in the All-Star game Joe Mauer will start. Martin is one of the Yankees leading for their position that has an argument for it. Mauer has played in 8 games all year.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5483)