Jun 13, 2011, 5:31 PM EDT
Sandy Alderson refused to classify it as a setback, but the Mets general manager did reveal that Johan Santana felt discomfort in his surgically repaired shoulder while throwing off a mound on June 3 and has slowed his rehab timetable.
Santana hasn’t thrown off a mound since then, although he also hasn’t been examined by a doctor (which seems like a relatively good sign).
Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger reports that he’s been long-tossing at the Mets’ spring training complex and could get back on a mound at some point later this week.
For now the June 3 issue seems like merely routine soreness following surgery, although even small setbacks (or hiccups or whatever Alderson would approve of calling it) decreases the odds of Santana rejoining the Mets’ rotation by the end of July.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)