Jun 13, 2011, 4:16 PM EST
Now that Dayan Viciedo has successfully made the transition from range-impaired third baseman to passable right fielder at Triple-A the 22-year-old prospect told Scott Merkin of MLB.com that he’s “ready” for another chance with the White Sox.
And general manager Ken Williams apparently agrees, telling Merkin that “it would be awfully interesting to have him in this lineup” and “he’s obviously got some things he still needs to work on, but I would have no qualms about bringing him here.”
Now the only question is how the White Sox could create an opening in the lineup for him.
Alex Rios and Adam Dunn are slumping, but big contracts mean they aren’t going anywhere. Coming into the season there was speculation about Viciedo replacing Carlos Quentin in right field, but now Quentin is leading the White Sox in homers and ranks eighth among AL hitters in OPS.
All of which seems to point to Juan Pierre as the odd man out since he’s gone from light-hitting to no-hitting, batting just .259 with a .628 OPS while being thrown out on half of his steal attempts. Replacing Pierre with Viciedo–by way of Quentin shifting to left field–would be a defensive downgrade, but with Viciedo hitting .313 with 10 homers and an .877 OPS in 61 games at Triple-A the swap would also dramatically change the White Sox’s lineup.
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 3
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 3
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 26
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)