Jun 14, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Fernando Rodney lost the closer role to rookie Jordan Walden in early April and hasn’t pitched particularly well as a setup man since, but now he won’t be pitching at all for a while after the Angels placed him on the disabled list with a back injury.
Rodney is eligible to come off the DL on June 24, but manager Mike Scioscia told reporters that the right-hander “has been dealing with this, on and off, for the last couple weeks.”
Rodney actually did his best work of the season during that time, but overall he has a 4.09 ERA and nearly as many walks (15) as strikeouts (18) in 22 innings while earning $5.5 million in the second season of a two-year, $11 million deal.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million