Jun 14, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT
Fernando Rodney lost the closer role to rookie Jordan Walden in early April and hasn’t pitched particularly well as a setup man since, but now he won’t be pitching at all for a while after the Angels placed him on the disabled list with a back injury.
Rodney is eligible to come off the DL on June 24, but manager Mike Scioscia told reporters that the right-hander “has been dealing with this, on and off, for the last couple weeks.”
Rodney actually did his best work of the season during that time, but overall he has a 4.09 ERA and nearly as many walks (15) as strikeouts (18) in 22 innings while earning $5.5 million in the second season of a two-year, $11 million deal.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (81)