Jun 14, 2011, 12:29 PM EDT
The Astros have announced that they have fired pitching coach Brad Arnsberg. He is being replaced by an interim: Doug Brocail, who if you put a gun to my head I probably would have guessed was still pitching mopup duty for someone out west because I tend not to track guys like Doug Brocail very well.
The reason cited for his dismissal was “philosophical differences,” which given that Brad Mills is pretty secure in his job as manager — and should be, frankly — is likely true. It’s usually managers who are themselves on the firing line who use or allow their coaches to be used as scapegoats.
Still, it ain’t all philosophy. Houston has one of the worst pitching staffs in all of baseball. Overall, they give up more runs a game than every other team. On an ERA basis they’re second to last, ahead of only the Cubs. They have up a decent amount of runs to the Braves over the past four days, and that should be enough to have anyone fired, but I’m assuming there is more of a season-wide assessment at work.
As for the exact nature of the philosophical differences, I have an insider who tells me that it was really a grand thing about free will vs. determinism, and that Arnsberg was really fixated on all of that Pierre Simon Laplace stuff, which just drove Mills batty.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 9
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (83)