Jun 14, 2011, 3:15 PM EST
Kyle Drabek secured a spot in the Blue Jays’ rotation coming out of the spring training, one-hit the Twins for seven innings in his first start, and had a 3.30 ERA through five outings.
And then everything fell apart for the 23-year-old prospect acquired from the Phillies in the Roy Halladay trade, as Drabek posted a 7.38 ERA with a .314 opponents’ batting average and more walks (35) than strikeouts (28) in 43 innings spread over his next nine starts.
He failed to make it out of the first inning against the Indians on June 1, allowed five runs to the Royals on June 7, and got knocked around by the Red Sox for three homers and a total of eight runs Sunday. And today the Blue Jays decided they’d seen enough, optioning Drabek back to Triple-A with a 5.70 ERA and 48/52 K/BB ratio in 73 innings.
There’s no doubt that Drabek has impressive raw stuff, as he averaged 93.4 miles per hour with his fastball and flashed a potentially dominant low-90s cutter, but with a league-leading 52 walks and 10 wild pitches in just 73 innings he’s clearly not yet polished enough to thrive against big-league hitters. He’ll likely be back in the second half, perhaps for good.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)