Jun 14, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Kyle Drabek secured a spot in the Blue Jays’ rotation coming out of the spring training, one-hit the Twins for seven innings in his first start, and had a 3.30 ERA through five outings.
And then everything fell apart for the 23-year-old prospect acquired from the Phillies in the Roy Halladay trade, as Drabek posted a 7.38 ERA with a .314 opponents’ batting average and more walks (35) than strikeouts (28) in 43 innings spread over his next nine starts.
He failed to make it out of the first inning against the Indians on June 1, allowed five runs to the Royals on June 7, and got knocked around by the Red Sox for three homers and a total of eight runs Sunday. And today the Blue Jays decided they’d seen enough, optioning Drabek back to Triple-A with a 5.70 ERA and 48/52 K/BB ratio in 73 innings.
There’s no doubt that Drabek has impressive raw stuff, as he averaged 93.4 miles per hour with his fastball and flashed a potentially dominant low-90s cutter, but with a league-leading 52 walks and 10 wild pitches in just 73 innings he’s clearly not yet polished enough to thrive against big-league hitters. He’ll likely be back in the second half, perhaps for good.
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 9
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 42
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 61
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 30
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)