Jun 14, 2011, 9:11 PM EDT
UPDATE: So much for that. Orlando Cabrera just broke up the no-hit bid with a clean single to center field with one out in the eighth.
I have a feeling this won’t be the last time we track a no-hitter in progress for Verlander.
9:05 PM: We have a no-hit bid in progress tonight, as Justin Verlander has held the Indians hitless through seven innings. The Tigers currently lead the game 4-0.
Verlander has walked one, hit a batter and struck out 10 while throwing 52 out of 99 pitches for strikes.
Of course, he already has two no-hitters in his career, including one on May 7 against the Blue Jays. Only Cy Young, Bob Feller, Larry Corcoran, Sandy Koufax and Nolan Ryan have pitched more than two no-hitters.
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 34
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)