Jun 14, 2011, 9:11 PM EDT
UPDATE: So much for that. Orlando Cabrera just broke up the no-hit bid with a clean single to center field with one out in the eighth.
I have a feeling this won’t be the last time we track a no-hitter in progress for Verlander.
9:05 PM: We have a no-hit bid in progress tonight, as Justin Verlander has held the Indians hitless through seven innings. The Tigers currently lead the game 4-0.
Verlander has walked one, hit a batter and struck out 10 while throwing 52 out of 99 pitches for strikes.
Of course, he already has two no-hitters in his career, including one on May 7 against the Blue Jays. Only Cy Young, Bob Feller, Larry Corcoran, Sandy Koufax and Nolan Ryan have pitched more than two no-hitters.
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 0
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 21
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)