Jun 14, 2011, 9:11 PM EDT
UPDATE: So much for that. Orlando Cabrera just broke up the no-hit bid with a clean single to center field with one out in the eighth.
I have a feeling this won’t be the last time we track a no-hitter in progress for Verlander.
9:05 PM: We have a no-hit bid in progress tonight, as Justin Verlander has held the Indians hitless through seven innings. The Tigers currently lead the game 4-0.
Verlander has walked one, hit a batter and struck out 10 while throwing 52 out of 99 pitches for strikes.
Of course, he already has two no-hitters in his career, including one on May 7 against the Blue Jays. Only Cy Young, Bob Feller, Larry Corcoran, Sandy Koufax and Nolan Ryan have pitched more than two no-hitters.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)