Jun 14, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
With the Cubs tied for the second-worst record in baseball at 26-39 “fans and the media have begun to wonder if Mike Quade’s days as manager may be nearing an end,” according to Sahadev Sharma of ESPN Chicago.
Quade went 24-13 down the stretch last season after taking over for Lou Piniella, but all the friendly press about his turning the team around has disappeared with this year’s awful, drama-filled start.
General manager Jim Hendry gave Quade a vote of confidence yesterday, pointing out that he “didn’t flip a light switch from last year to the beginning of this season and start managing differently or handling people differently.”
Of course, Hendry is on the heat seat himself with the Cubs just 184-204 since the beginning of 2009 and he removed the “interim manager” tag from Quade by signing him to a two-year contract in mid-October.
Hendry, who’s been the general manager since mid-2002, called the Cubs’ poor play “my responsibility” and added: “I certainly wouldn’t dump any of that on Mike Quade. He’s certainly going to do a fine job here.”
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)