Jun 14, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
With the Cubs tied for the second-worst record in baseball at 26-39 “fans and the media have begun to wonder if Mike Quade’s days as manager may be nearing an end,” according to Sahadev Sharma of ESPN Chicago.
Quade went 24-13 down the stretch last season after taking over for Lou Piniella, but all the friendly press about his turning the team around has disappeared with this year’s awful, drama-filled start.
General manager Jim Hendry gave Quade a vote of confidence yesterday, pointing out that he “didn’t flip a light switch from last year to the beginning of this season and start managing differently or handling people differently.”
Of course, Hendry is on the heat seat himself with the Cubs just 184-204 since the beginning of 2009 and he removed the “interim manager” tag from Quade by signing him to a two-year contract in mid-October.
Hendry, who’s been the general manager since mid-2002, called the Cubs’ poor play “my responsibility” and added: “I certainly wouldn’t dump any of that on Mike Quade. He’s certainly going to do a fine job here.”
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)