Jun 14, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
With the Cubs tied for the second-worst record in baseball at 26-39 “fans and the media have begun to wonder if Mike Quade’s days as manager may be nearing an end,” according to Sahadev Sharma of ESPN Chicago.
Quade went 24-13 down the stretch last season after taking over for Lou Piniella, but all the friendly press about his turning the team around has disappeared with this year’s awful, drama-filled start.
General manager Jim Hendry gave Quade a vote of confidence yesterday, pointing out that he “didn’t flip a light switch from last year to the beginning of this season and start managing differently or handling people differently.”
Of course, Hendry is on the heat seat himself with the Cubs just 184-204 since the beginning of 2009 and he removed the “interim manager” tag from Quade by signing him to a two-year contract in mid-October.
Hendry, who’s been the general manager since mid-2002, called the Cubs’ poor play “my responsibility” and added: “I certainly wouldn’t dump any of that on Mike Quade. He’s certainly going to do a fine job here.”
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 8
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 3
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)