Derek Jeter is trying to talk his way out of going to the disabled list

Jun 14, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT

New York Yankees v Texas Rangers, Game 6 Getty Images

Usually this stuff is done before 4PM on a game day, but as of 5PM, the decision on whether or not Derek Jeter is going on the DL has still not been made. The hitch: Jeter is apparently trying to talk his way out of going, because, well, he’s Derek Jeter and Derek Jeter can’t miss games because he’s the captain and all of that:

“I’m still pleading my case. I don’t know,” Jeter said. “I haven’t done this before. We’re waiting to talk to the doctor. Obviously if it was up to me, I’d rather not [go on the disabled list].”

Other reports from New York beat guys has Jeter saying that it’s OK if he has to miss a few games because the Yankees can survive being down a man or two for a few days. Which is something of a dubious assertion, because most managers do not want to be shorthanded, especially when playing in an NL park.

Your task: decide whether Jeter’s determination not to go on the DL, combined with his blowing off the importance of them being shorthanded for a few days while he rests, is indicia of a determined gamer or a me-first guy. Because I could see it from both perspectives, really.

The bigger question: when was the last time there was so much sturm und drang over a freakin’ trip to the DL?

1. randall351 - Jun 14, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Me First!

2. steveflack - Jun 14, 2011 at 5:26 PM

How many times do you think Cal Ripken had to talk his way off getting rested? And yet, he’s a saint, and Derek Jeter is the anti-christ.

• clydeserra - Jun 14, 2011 at 5:47 PM

I don’t understand?

At the beginning of the streak, they probably just asked him, he said no, and that was that. In the middle and at the end, there was never a question.

As for Jeter, who is vilifying him? There are only a few roster spots, if he is out for a week, may as well put him on the DL to get a fresh body.

• marshmallowsnake - Jun 14, 2011 at 7:01 PM

When you play for the Evil Empire…and are the most recognizable player, then yeah, you are the anti-christ.

3. Mark Armour - Jun 14, 2011 at 5:38 PM

I suspect that this happens all the time. The only thing that is different is the media asking Jeter about it. I hate the Yankees, but have no problem with Jeter wanting to play. It is the team’s job to decide whether to put him on the DL.

4. yankeesfanlen - Jun 14, 2011 at 5:40 PM

See, I told you he was watching the Tonys!
    oh, poor, pitiful me!
    By tonnage, they re-paved my driveway today and used less blacktop than Beep-beep uses BS.

5. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 14, 2011 at 5:46 PM

I think the coverage on this is absolutely retarded. You pointed out earlier Craig how over the top some organizations-cough-ESPN-cough,cough-are handling it. If hes hurt and needs to go to the DL big deal, if not its even less of a deal. My question would be do the YANKEES want to put him on the DL so he can get his 3000th at home instead of in Chicago or Cincinnati?

• bloodysock - Jun 14, 2011 at 5:52 PM

DJ3K becomes DJ2DL

6. jamie54 - Jun 14, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Come on, it will be timed so that he gets #3000 at home. No ifs, ands, or buts, that’s how it will work out;

7. bigyankeemike - Jun 14, 2011 at 6:27 PM

“Come on, it will be timed so that he gets #3000 at home. No ifs, ands, or buts, that’s how it will work out”

OK that’s just plain silly.

Last year ARod came back too early from the same thing and hurt himself again. That’s why Jeter is going on the DL.

Personally (and I admit my Jeter love has waned dramatically these last two years), he could have made Cashman’s decision a hell of a lot easier if he just came out with it and said he was hurt. What people see as him being a “gamer”, I see as him being Jeter-first by wanting to play even though he can (and has) hurt the team.

Count Posada in that group for the first 45 days of the season as well.

8. schrutebeetfarms - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:08 PM

I’m sure this will result in about 100% thumbs down but after reading all the comments about Jeter the past few weeks on all these messaeg boards, I’ve come to this conclusion.

Most people talk about Jeter as if he’s no better than Alvaro Espinoza. Jeter has actally become under-rated after listening to all the ranting like people suggesting he is not a sure thing hall of famer. Lol sure.

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4754)