Jun 14, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
Usually this stuff is done before 4PM on a game day, but as of 5PM, the decision on whether or not Derek Jeter is going on the DL has still not been made. The hitch: Jeter is apparently trying to talk his way out of going, because, well, he’s Derek Jeter and Derek Jeter can’t miss games because he’s the captain and all of that:
“I’m still pleading my case. I don’t know,” Jeter said. “I haven’t done this before. We’re waiting to talk to the doctor. Obviously if it was up to me, I’d rather not [go on the disabled list].”
Other reports from New York beat guys has Jeter saying that it’s OK if he has to miss a few games because the Yankees can survive being down a man or two for a few days. Which is something of a dubious assertion, because most managers do not want to be shorthanded, especially when playing in an NL park.
Your task: decide whether Jeter’s determination not to go on the DL, combined with his blowing off the importance of them being shorthanded for a few days while he rests, is indicia of a determined gamer or a me-first guy. Because I could see it from both perspectives, really.
The bigger question: when was the last time there was so much sturm und drang over a freakin’ trip to the DL?
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)