Jun 14, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
Usually this stuff is done before 4PM on a game day, but as of 5PM, the decision on whether or not Derek Jeter is going on the DL has still not been made. The hitch: Jeter is apparently trying to talk his way out of going, because, well, he’s Derek Jeter and Derek Jeter can’t miss games because he’s the captain and all of that:
“I’m still pleading my case. I don’t know,” Jeter said. “I haven’t done this before. We’re waiting to talk to the doctor. Obviously if it was up to me, I’d rather not [go on the disabled list].”
Other reports from New York beat guys has Jeter saying that it’s OK if he has to miss a few games because the Yankees can survive being down a man or two for a few days. Which is something of a dubious assertion, because most managers do not want to be shorthanded, especially when playing in an NL park.
Your task: decide whether Jeter’s determination not to go on the DL, combined with his blowing off the importance of them being shorthanded for a few days while he rests, is indicia of a determined gamer or a me-first guy. Because I could see it from both perspectives, really.
The bigger question: when was the last time there was so much sturm und drang over a freakin’ trip to the DL?
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 3
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 23
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)