Jun 14, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
Usually this stuff is done before 4PM on a game day, but as of 5PM, the decision on whether or not Derek Jeter is going on the DL has still not been made. The hitch: Jeter is apparently trying to talk his way out of going, because, well, he’s Derek Jeter and Derek Jeter can’t miss games because he’s the captain and all of that:
“I’m still pleading my case. I don’t know,” Jeter said. “I haven’t done this before. We’re waiting to talk to the doctor. Obviously if it was up to me, I’d rather not [go on the disabled list].”
Other reports from New York beat guys has Jeter saying that it’s OK if he has to miss a few games because the Yankees can survive being down a man or two for a few days. Which is something of a dubious assertion, because most managers do not want to be shorthanded, especially when playing in an NL park.
Your task: decide whether Jeter’s determination not to go on the DL, combined with his blowing off the importance of them being shorthanded for a few days while he rests, is indicia of a determined gamer or a me-first guy. Because I could see it from both perspectives, really.
The bigger question: when was the last time there was so much sturm und drang over a freakin’ trip to the DL?
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)