Jun 14, 2011, 5:20 PM EDT
Usually this stuff is done before 4PM on a game day, but as of 5PM, the decision on whether or not Derek Jeter is going on the DL has still not been made. The hitch: Jeter is apparently trying to talk his way out of going, because, well, he’s Derek Jeter and Derek Jeter can’t miss games because he’s the captain and all of that:
“I’m still pleading my case. I don’t know,” Jeter said. “I haven’t done this before. We’re waiting to talk to the doctor. Obviously if it was up to me, I’d rather not [go on the disabled list].”
Other reports from New York beat guys has Jeter saying that it’s OK if he has to miss a few games because the Yankees can survive being down a man or two for a few days. Which is something of a dubious assertion, because most managers do not want to be shorthanded, especially when playing in an NL park.
Your task: decide whether Jeter’s determination not to go on the DL, combined with his blowing off the importance of them being shorthanded for a few days while he rests, is indicia of a determined gamer or a me-first guy. Because I could see it from both perspectives, really.
The bigger question: when was the last time there was so much sturm und drang over a freakin’ trip to the DL?
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP
- CFT: Three Navy football players to be charged with rape