Jun 14, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
Frank McCourt scrimped and saved — wait, no he didn’t; he borrowed — to make payroll at the end of May. He is said to be fine for the mid-June payroll due tomorrow too, so good for him. That business with the Manny Ramirez payment coming due at the end of the month, however, makes things dire, one would think.
Yep: according to Bill Shaikin, the Dodgers have “no chance” to meet the June 30 payroll unless that Fox contract is approved. That according to a person “familiar with McCourt’s finances but not authorized to discuss them.”
So, it may take a month longer than expected, but barring an unexpected court ruling in the next two weeks (a) barring Jamie McCourt from objecting to the Fox deal; and (b) ruling that Major League Baseball has no right to approve or disapprove of Dodgers financial decisions, McCourt is going to lose his team at the end of the month.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)