Great Moments in Perspective and Priorities: Nationals COO Andy Feffer

Jun 14, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT

Nationals Park

Nationals COO Andy Feffer on a new element to Nationals Park:

“I’ve been to stadiums and ballparks all over the country, and without a doubt I’ve never seen anything like this. I think it will become the iconic, defining element of Nationals Park, the thing people leave and say, ‘Did you see that?'”

If the top brass from my team said this, I would hope it would be in reference to championship banners, some new fantastic seats, or at least something on the scoreboard that truly enhances the fan experience.  But nope, he’s talking about a friggin’ food court.

Really.

1. JB (the original) - Jun 14, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Well, maybe if they added airline-style flip down trays (with indented cup holder) on the backs of the seats, they’d REALLY have something! *eye roll*

• Old Gator - Jun 14, 2011 at 11:31 AM

That makes me nervous. Let them put airline seat style flip down seatback trays in, and pretty soon they’ll start charging you for the beer and hot dogs.

2. nps6724 - Jun 14, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Anything that can take your attention away from actually watching the Nats play is a GOOD thing, no?

3. oldtimefamilybaseball - Jun 14, 2011 at 11:17 AM

You clearly have never eaten a Shake Shack hamburger, a food item so delicious as to make Rick Ankiel’s .547 OPS disappear.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM

It looks mighty tasty….I think I’m with the COO on this one.

• IdahoMariner - Jun 14, 2011 at 12:05 PM

ohmygodthatburgerlookstasty. Wow. I now have a very specific craving for a food that is approximately 2500 miles away. thanks, Craig, for sending me to that picture with your nefarious link. Skinny bastard, making me want a burger I can’t have. I see what that treadmill has done to you.

Sigh. Shake Shack.

• natstowngreg - Jun 14, 2011 at 1:41 PM

It had better be. Shake Shack is replacing Five Guys Burgers. Now perhaps you’re correct about Shake Shack burgers; I’ll have to test that premise sometime. But it’ll take a lot for me to believe they’re better than Five Guys burgers.

4. hank10 - Jun 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Would anyone expect anything more from the ‘Natinals’? Talk about waving the white flag on your franchise.

• natstowngreg - Jun 14, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Trying to improve the ballpark experience (and perhaps make a little more money to spend on players) is giving up on the franchise? Improving the ballpark and improving the team are not mutually exculsive.

5. APBA Guy - Jun 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Someone in DC said something so hyperbolic as to be completely detached from reality. Wonder how he got the idea that would work?

6. Jonny 5 - Jun 14, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Oh my god, I want that burger.

7. senatorsguy - Jun 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM

How dare he be concerned about the enjoyability of his team’s ballpark. No more hot dogs until they win a world series.

Slow news day?

8. JD - Jun 14, 2011 at 1:07 PM

“I’ve been to stadiums and ballparks all over the country, and without a doubt I’ve never seen anything like this.”

He’s clearly never been to Citi Field, where they’ve had the exact same food options for three years now.

9. royhobbs39 - Jun 14, 2011 at 1:33 PM

As a Nationals fan I already know they already have the element he is describing. It is called Ben’s Chilli Bowl. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon to wait in line for over an inning.

I tend to think after the story Craig linked to the other day…Could this be just another outlet for Livan to launder money? New headline “Nats sell 20,000 burgers at yesterday’s game. Attendance only numbers 15,000″

10. simon94022 - Jun 14, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Like so much commentary about the Nats, this story is a cheap shot. Feffer is not the Washington equivalent of Hank Steinbrenner. He was hired specifically to handle NON-baseball operations, such as food service at the ballpark. Just because the ignorant DCist blogger thinks that the Nats COO should be focused on the quality of the team on the field doesn’t mean his snark has to be regurgitated here.

• cur68 - Jun 14, 2011 at 2:26 PM

simon; couple three things,
      1) Why didn’t you go with ‘psymon’? Woulda been cooler. You can go with that, I won’t mind, but no criticizing my writing style if you do.

2) One of the big knocks this site gets is its East Coast Bias. In fact you’d think this blog was sponsored by a company called Phillyankeebo-soxmetscubraves Inc. some mornings. The Gnats news is a welcome diversion round these parts IMO.

3) Look at all the good press it generated for the Gnats? I mean, I WANT A BURGER from the Gnat’s Stadium now and before all I could have told you about that team is that they used to be known as the Montreal Expos (I miss them so) and Roger Bernadina is in the Best Shape of His Life (Really. He is. Only guy this side of Kung Fu Panda). Now I can tell you that you can have that delicious looking burger, too.

You should be thanking that “ignorant DCist blogger” and Craig for the press. We are all better for their efforts.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2843)