HBT Daily: Now let’s declare some NL teams dead

Jun 14, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT

Yes, one of the dead ones was my NL Central Pick. We're just gonna have to deal with that.

And yes, there’s video of my worst-ever death declaration inserted in here to mock me, so that’s fun too. Brightside: man, seeing that video makes me realize that I’ve lost a good bit of weight in the last year!

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. Jonny 5 - Jun 14, 2011 at 11:51 AM

The Nats come out on top of the Mets by season end. And I was 17-18 year old stud in 92. Well I thought I was anyway…. In my bada$$ gold chevy Nova …. Bench seat…. Oldsmobile mags…… Ahhh the memories of that complete and total wreck that was abused by me every day of it’s miserable life until it puked out it’s final breath of noxious fumes one fateful day… Wonderful memories….

2. jamie54 - Jun 14, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Is Tiffany getting better or is she still as absolutely YOWZA as ever? Man. As you say, Padres DONE, that’s easy. Dodgers SB DONE also, Rockies underperformed and maybe have a run in them. Hard to think Giants will have back to back runs like last year but seem to be class of the division.

3. xmatt0926x - Jun 14, 2011 at 1:05 PM

The Mets have intrigued me all season and I’ve actually defended their potential several times on this site despite my hatred for them. It’s all about Pelfrey and Dickey. If those two ever settled down and had a consistent stretch then I really think te Mets could compete. Niese looks very good and the offense is the best in the division by far. It’s ironic actually. You know Wilpon wants to sell sell sell but the team is hanging around right now. What does he do by the trade deadline if they are within 5 games or so? Can you trade Reyes and Wright knowing you’ll alienate an already skeptical fanbase who you need to fill your new park? But if you don’t you may lose Reyes for nothing if you can’t sign him under your expected lower payroll next season. It should be interesting.

4. Max Power - Jun 14, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I’ll never be over Macho Grande.

5. bleedgreen - Jun 14, 2011 at 1:15 PM

I don’t think any team is really dead if they’re < 8 games out. Remember last year, when the Phils were 8 games out in the beginning of August? They ended up being 6 games up at the end of the season. Thats WITH dropping a game or two to the Brave's in the last series of the season. So in actuality, they made up 14 games. It could have been 16.

Granted that requires a team to be good and make good acquisitions as the Phils did in July of last year. I don't see the Astros or the Mets or the Nats competing for the division or even the WC, but if the Nats can play better, they could take 3rd place in the division. Thats a pretty good season for them, and a good sign overall, especially if they can get Harper up and some experience in september, and get strasburg back and work him in.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 14, 2011 at 2:15 PM

The Phillies were 7 games out at the most last year, and that was on July 22. By August 1st, they were only 2.5 back. And that was a different scenario…everybody knew(or at least smart people like myself knew) that the Phillies were far and away the more talented team and just needed to flip the switch.

• spudchukar - Jun 14, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Can I use you as a reference, on my Mensa club application?

• bleedgreen - Jun 14, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Regardless of 1 game difference, my point stands. They made up 13 games in 2 months. Hell, the Phils made up 6 games on the Braves between Sept 1st and Sept 15th last year. Thats ridiculous. You don’t know who’s going to get cold or hot. What if Tim Hudson tears a rotator cuff and Jurjens blows out his elbow? They could easily just fall by the wayside and lose 4 of 5 straight while the Mets win 4 of 5 and end upend be 1.5 games apart going into a 3 game series with each other.

Will it happen? Probably not. But to say 1 team is dead completely when they are < 10 games out before the all star break is just silly.

6. cur68 - Jun 14, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Craig; lost weight, yes but lets face it; the new specs are slimming, too.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet