Jun 14, 2011, 4:52 PM EST
Indians pitching prospect Jason Knapp will miss the remainder of the season and possibly part of 2012 after undergoing surgery to “stabilize and tighten” his right shoulder, according to director of player development Ross Atkins.
Knapp, who was arguably the centerpiece of the four-player package the Indians received from the Phillies for Cliff Lee in mid-2009, previously had surgery to remove “loose bodies” from his shoulder shortly after the trade and was limited to just nine starts last season.
He’ll be shut down for at least six weeks with the goal of being fully healthy in time for spring training, at which point Knapp will likely report to Single-A as a 21-year-old.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)