Jun 14, 2011, 7:31 PM EDT
Jake Peavy tossed a light bullpen session earlier today, after which he was cleared to make a minor league rehab start Thursday with Triple-A Charlotte. He is slated to throw around six innings or 90 pitches.
Peavy was placed on the disabled list last week with a right groin strain. If all goes well during his outing Thursday, he could rejoin the White Sox as soon as next week.
While the White Sox employed a six-man rotation prior to his injury, Peavy told Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune earlier today that he would be willing to return as a relief pitcher.
“(Cooper) said it’s certainly something they’ll talk about and discuss,” Peavy said. “Who knows? I just think we got five guys going pretty good right now. We’ve taken some heat about the six-man rotation. Are we doing the right thing or wrong thing? I’m just letting them know my end of the deal. I‘ll do whatever I can do to help.”
Peavy, 30, has never made a relief appearance during his major league career. In fact, his last relief appearance as a professional was in 2000 while pitching with Class A Fort Wayne in the Padres’ pipeline.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 7
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 30
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (202)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)