Jun 14, 2011, 7:31 PM EST
Jake Peavy tossed a light bullpen session earlier today, after which he was cleared to make a minor league rehab start Thursday with Triple-A Charlotte. He is slated to throw around six innings or 90 pitches.
Peavy was placed on the disabled list last week with a right groin strain. If all goes well during his outing Thursday, he could rejoin the White Sox as soon as next week.
While the White Sox employed a six-man rotation prior to his injury, Peavy told Mark Gonzalez of the Chicago Tribune earlier today that he would be willing to return as a relief pitcher.
“(Cooper) said it’s certainly something they’ll talk about and discuss,” Peavy said. “Who knows? I just think we got five guys going pretty good right now. We’ve taken some heat about the six-man rotation. Are we doing the right thing or wrong thing? I’m just letting them know my end of the deal. I‘ll do whatever I can do to help.”
Peavy, 30, has never made a relief appearance during his major league career. In fact, his last relief appearance as a professional was in 2000 while pitching with Class A Fort Wayne in the Padres’ pipeline.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)