James Shields halts Boston’s nine-game winning streak

Jun 14, 2011, 9:37 PM EDT

James Shields Getty Images

After three straight series sweeps and 30 runs in their last two games, the Red Sox were shut down by the Rays’ James Shields on Tuesday, getting blanked for the sixth time this year in a 4-0 loss.

For Shields, it was his third shutout already this season.  The Cardinals’ Jaime Garcia entered the day as the only other pitcher with multiple shutouts.  He has two.  Justin Verlander also notched his second tonight in a win over the Indians.

The Red Sox had their best chance to score in the first, when they had first and third with one out and the bases loaded with two outs.  However, Carl Crawford, in his first at-bat in the Trop since leaving for Boston over the winter, grounded out to first to end the rally.  Crawford finished the game 0-for-3. He was left on deck when the game ended.

Adrian Gonzalez went 3-for-4 for Boston, but he saw his streak of nine straight games with an RBI end with Boston’s winning streak.

With the victory, the Rays improved to 3-0 against the Red Sox this season.  They’re 3 1/2 games back of Boston in the AL East.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jun 14, 2011 at 9:49 PM

That’s the program. Let the Rays handle the BoSox, we’ll do everything else.

• aceshigh11 - Jun 14, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Yes, because you guys clearly aren’t up to handling Boston in any way, shape or form.

8-1.

• cur68 - Jun 14, 2011 at 11:15 PM

What, you want the Blue Jays to do it? Hell they have trouble with the Orioles. Took a moon shot in the 11th to beat that fearsome crew.

No, someone has to challenge the Sox and I think the Rays are going to be up for the job. Way better pitching than anyone else so their bullpen has more rest. They got them lively bats and that travel day theme stuff rolling for them. I like the Rays to catch the Sox. I’m hoping that with the Orioles playing a little worse tomorrow, and,with Ricky Romero dealing, the Beavermen close up some more on the Yankees. Now all I need is for the Rangers to be who I thought they were.

Sorry Len, gotta take the Rangers against your boys tomorrow. Trouble is, they’ve shored up the D at SS and might have added more lumber at leadoff. They could be tough.

• aceshigh11 - Jun 14, 2011 at 11:46 PM

The Rays have our number this year. They’re still a great team.

• raysfan1 - Jun 14, 2011 at 11:48 PM

I like you way of thinking, Cur. About baseball that is. I’ve seen your posts about foisting Justin Bieber off on us poor Americans. That’s just cruel. I have a 13-year-old daughter, & I do not deserve such auditory torture.
        Now, Shania’s a different stury–she can come here & stay just as long as she likes!

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:52 AM

Hands off Shania. F%^king Bieber is yours; our border guards have strict instructions not to let him back in the country. Him & Celine Dion.

Sorry about the effect he’s having on your daughter. Mine’s 15 and had mercifully decided she’s ‘too old for that kid anymore’. On the one hand I’m happy; no more ‘Bieber fever’ round here. On the other hand she’s decided Colin Farrell is ‘McDreamy’. This according to her mother who has thus far declined to explain what a ‘McDreamy’ is.

• raysfan1 - Jun 15, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Maybe we can force Bieber onto an unsuspecting 3rd country.
        “McDreamy” is a nickname for a character on Gray’s Anatomy–a show that my wife and daughter gave up on because I am merciless with heckling all TV shows centered around medicine, at least ones that do not bother with trivial things like getting medical facts straight. Anyway, that nickname has no morphed into meaning any attractive male.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Hey, I’m in the same boat. They tried to get me interested in “Scrubs” and I flipped when I saw that wrong-way-round x-ray in the opening credits. I mean, get that right for Pete’s sake; it’s not rocket science. I was summarily banned form watching all Med-Drams, hence my ignorance of Grey’s Anatomy and shows of that ilk. I did develop a certain sympathy for Dr. Cox though. Reminded me of some people I know.

Thanks for the explain re. McDreamy. I thought it was some sort of McDonald’s dessert.

• bobwsc - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:28 AM

everything else? the yanks will be looking up at the Rays and Sox by season’s end.

2. dirtyharry1971 - Jun 14, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Nice game Shields, total domination!

3. raysfan1 - Jun 14, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Woohoo! Go Rays!

4. deathmonkey41 - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Big Papi is going to be angry about not getting a hit last night, he’ll probably double up on the juice…I mean “Dominican milkshakes” tonight.

• bobwsc - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:17 PM

yea, two people love that. let me guess – you gave yourself a thumbs up using firefox, then internet explorer?

5. oldpaddy - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Tim Wakefield is an animal! 44yrs old and 119 pitches!

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3379)