Jimmy Rollins issues some words of warning for Derek Jeter

Jun 14, 2011, 8:04 PM EDT

Jeter Rollins

Derek Jeter is eligible to return from the disabled list as soon as June 29 against the Brewers. He’ll certainly make it his mission to be ready by then, but Jimmy Rollins tells Jayson Stark of ESPN.com that the calf injury could linger for the rest of the season.

“The best advice I can give Derek is, ‘You’re going to get healed in the offseason.'”

And Rollins should know. He strained his right calf muscle last April and was limited to just 20 games over the first three months of the season while serving separate month-long stints on the disabled list. It wasn’t until the offseason did he have the opportunity to heal completely.

“I don’t even think about my calf injury anymore,” Rollins says now, 14 months after he suffered a Grade 2 strain of his calf while running simple wind sprints before a game last April. “But all last year? That was No. 1 — before anything, before I stretched, before I hit, before I looked at who was pitching. It was, ‘How’s my calf?'”

“When you think you’re good, you’re not even close,” he said. “Still take more time. … No matter what your mind thinks, your muscles don’t speak English.”

Granted, these are somewhat different situations. Rollins was diagnosed with a Grade 2 strain while Jeter’s is a Grade 1, which is considered the least severe. Still, this is a troubling scenario for a 36-year-old shortstop who currently has the lowest batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage and OPS of his career.

1. proudlycanadian - Jun 14, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Does this imply that Jeter might miss the All Star game? His absence might help the AL.

2. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 14, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Who cares about Jeter on the DL. Its not like he is having a huge season or even an average season. Sorry Yanks fans, but he has stunk it up this year.

3. paperlions - Jun 14, 2011 at 8:49 PM

“Derek, don’t become a chronic problem like me.”
    –Jimmy Rollins

• Jonny 5 - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Why didn’t you call me PL?!?! Lol!! C’mon, not even out of curiosity?

4. mvpolamalu - Jun 14, 2011 at 8:49 PM

@proudlycanadien not only would it help the team, but it would make it better. Not all damn Yankees

• macjacmccoy - Jun 14, 2011 at 9:59 PM

its not that I disagree with your comment but isnt helping the team and making it better pretty much the same thing? And Polamalu gets injured alot. Just saying.

5. nocryinginbaseball07 - Jun 14, 2011 at 10:58 PM

“Derek, don’t become a chronic problem like me.”
    –Jimmy Rollins
    _______________________________________

Really. What??

• paperlions - Jun 15, 2011 at 7:28 AM

If you don’t know what the joke refers to (and it isn’t Jimmy Rollins), I’m not going to explain it.

6. FC - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:24 AM

“Still, this is a troubling scenario for a 36-year-old shortstop who currently has the lowest batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage and OPS of his career.”

And yet leads the votes for All-Star Short Stop. It’s like the Gold Glove. A popularity contest. Derek Jeter is first-ballot Hall of Famer no doubt. But All-Star each year should be: what have you done for me lately? And lately Jeter has not done enough, he shouldn’t even BE on the Ballot, he’s been in a quagmire since the 2nd half last year.

Ave. R – HR – RBI – SB
    Asdrubal Cabrera .297 41 12 43 9
    Derek Jeter .260 39 2 20 7

Seriously, Cabrera should be leading, not Jeter! There are several shortstops that have done more than him THIS year.

7. nocryinginbaseball07 - Jun 15, 2011 at 7:09 PM

No, please do explain. I’m new here.

1. H. Pence (2143)