Jun 14, 2011, 8:04 PM EDT
Derek Jeter is eligible to return from the disabled list as soon as June 29 against the Brewers. He’ll certainly make it his mission to be ready by then, but Jimmy Rollins tells Jayson Stark of ESPN.com that the calf injury could linger for the rest of the season.
“The best advice I can give Derek is, ‘You’re going to get healed in the offseason.'”
And Rollins should know. He strained his right calf muscle last April and was limited to just 20 games over the first three months of the season while serving separate month-long stints on the disabled list. It wasn’t until the offseason did he have the opportunity to heal completely.
“I don’t even think about my calf injury anymore,” Rollins says now, 14 months after he suffered a Grade 2 strain of his calf while running simple wind sprints before a game last April. “But all last year? That was No. 1 — before anything, before I stretched, before I hit, before I looked at who was pitching. It was, ‘How’s my calf?'”
“When you think you’re good, you’re not even close,” he said. “Still take more time. … No matter what your mind thinks, your muscles don’t speak English.”
Granted, these are somewhat different situations. Rollins was diagnosed with a Grade 2 strain while Jeter’s is a Grade 1, which is considered the least severe. Still, this is a troubling scenario for a 36-year-old shortstop who currently has the lowest batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage and OPS of his career.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)