Jun 14, 2011, 9:35 PM EDT
UPDATE: Phil Mackey of 1500 ESPN in Minneapolis reports that Justin Morneau has been placed on the disabled list. Twins general manager Bill Smith classified it as “a short-term thing,” but Morneau’s left wrist will be immobilized for the next 10 days.
The Twins will not announce a corresponding roster move until tomorrow, but early speculation is that Tsuyoshi Nishioka could replace him on the active roster.
6:40 PM: Justin Morneau’s wrist hasn’t responded to a cortisone shot as hoped, and he’s likely to wind up on the disabled list, the Star Tribune’s Jim Souhan reported after talking to him in the clubhouse Tuesday.
Morneau took about 20 swings in the cage today, but obviously, he continued to battle some soreness. He also saw a hand specialist today, though the outcome of the examination isn’t yet known.
The only bit of good news for the Twins here is that Joe Mauer is due back this week to help replace Morneau in the lineup. Still, they really need both healthy and hitting if they’re going to climb back into contention in the AL Central.
With Morneau out, Michael Cuddyer figures to serve as the full-time first baseman. The Twins will remain short-handed in the outfield with both Jason Kubel (foot) and Denard Span (concussion) sidelined.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 17
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 39
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)