Jun 14, 2011, 9:35 PM EDT
UPDATE: Phil Mackey of 1500 ESPN in Minneapolis reports that Justin Morneau has been placed on the disabled list. Twins general manager Bill Smith classified it as “a short-term thing,” but Morneau’s left wrist will be immobilized for the next 10 days.
The Twins will not announce a corresponding roster move until tomorrow, but early speculation is that Tsuyoshi Nishioka could replace him on the active roster.
6:40 PM: Justin Morneau’s wrist hasn’t responded to a cortisone shot as hoped, and he’s likely to wind up on the disabled list, the Star Tribune’s Jim Souhan reported after talking to him in the clubhouse Tuesday.
Morneau took about 20 swings in the cage today, but obviously, he continued to battle some soreness. He also saw a hand specialist today, though the outcome of the examination isn’t yet known.
The only bit of good news for the Twins here is that Joe Mauer is due back this week to help replace Morneau in the lineup. Still, they really need both healthy and hitting if they’re going to climb back into contention in the AL Central.
With Morneau out, Michael Cuddyer figures to serve as the full-time first baseman. The Twins will remain short-handed in the outfield with both Jason Kubel (foot) and Denard Span (concussion) sidelined.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 5
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 92
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (92)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)