Jun 14, 2011, 12:48 PM EST
Speculation last month that the Mariners were close to calling up top prospect Dustin Ackley proved wrong, but now Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times writes that the former No. 2 overall pick may make his much-anticipated debut Monday.
Projecting call-ups is tricky at this point in the season because the service time ramifications aren’t set in stone, but Baker guesses that he’ll arrive on June 21, on the road against the Nationals.
Selected one pick after Stephen Strasburg in the 2009 draft, Ackley successfully transitioned to second base and is hitting .297 with nine homers and a .902 OPS in 64 games at Triple-A, posting a .415 on-base percentage with more walks (54) than strikeouts (38).
Adam Kennedy and Jack Wilson have been splitting time at second base, so Ackley’s arrival means the Mariners may look to unload Wilson’s contract and move Kennedy to third base, where he’d take playing time away from the struggling Chone Figgins.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)