Mariners reliever Chris Ray is brewing beer for charity

Jun 14, 2011, 1:50 PM EDT

SAMSUNG

Mariners reliever Chris Ray was at the Fremont Brewing Company yesterday, helping brew a beer called Homefront IPA that will be sold at Safeco Field and around Seattle to raise money for the Operation Homefront organization that provides emergency financial assistance to the families of military personnel.

Kendall Jones of Washington Beer Blog wrote a good article about tagging along with Ray, who has been brewing his own beer at home since back in the minor leagues and plans to open a brewery in Virginia with his brother someday:

Talking with Chris, you immediately recognize that he’s serious about beer. He talks about the rhizomes they chose to grow their hops and the first year’s hop harvest. Albeit tight-lipped, he tells me about the company that is potentially going to build the brewhouse. We discuss Virginia’s archaic liquor laws and the obstacles those laws create for a small brewery. It is clear that he is very serious about opening a brewery. He’s not just some guy who likes IPA.

Ray told Jones that he sometimes brings his home brewed beer into the Mariners’ clubhouse, but “it’s pretty hard converting light beer drinkers.” For shame, Mariners. For shame.

1. skerney - Jun 14, 2011 at 2:09 PM

I love a good hoppy IPA, and I love Chris Ray because the Giants traded Molina for him.

• winkeroni - Jun 14, 2011 at 2:40 PM

An IPA or any beer loaded in hops is good for a man’s prostate. I heard that at a brewery so it must be true.

• skerney - Jun 14, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Goodbye prostate cancer, hello liver cancer!

• seattlej - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Don’t worry about the liver… if you’re an average American, diabetes, heart disease or a stroke will finish you off long before your liver gives out. Bottoms up!

2. Jonny 5 - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I too enjoy a good hoppy brew. IPA has a good balance. But really, I enjoy any good quality beer. Last night I saw Yuengling was 14.99 per case, and while i normally will get some Bass Ale, Warstiener, Smithwicks, or Harp. I couldn’t walk away from the Yuengling, which was 24 bottles for the same $ as a 12 of the other I named. And it was good. Much better than Coors, Miller, Or Bud….

• seattlej - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Yuengling is much better than Coors, Miller or Bud?

While certainly true, that’s like saying that Blanton is better than Kendrick, while ignoring the four other guys in the room…

• Jonny 5 - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Yeah it is. But you can buy Yuengling, Coors, Miller, or Bud for 15 bucks a case instead of paying 15 bucks + for a 12 pack of a more delicious beer (Bass Ale, Warstiener, Smithwicks, or Harp). That was the point actually.

And damn if it isn’t exactly like saying Blanton is better than Kendrick while ignoring the other 4 guys in the room. But only if you ignore where I talk about the good beer I normally buy.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3010)