Jun 14, 2011, 8:48 PM EDT
Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that right-hander Brian Gordon has signed with the Yankees after opting out of his contract with the Phillies.
But that’s not all. Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer passes along word from Brookover that Gordon is expected to start Thursday against the Rangers.
Brian Gordon? Who’s Brian Gordon? Glad you asked.
Gordon, a converted outfielder, made three relief appearances with the Rangers back in 2008, but has otherwise spent 14-plus years in the minor leagues. After putting up respectable numbers over the past two seasons as a reliever, the 32-year-old right-hander had a 1.14 ERA and 56/7 K/BB ratio over his first nine starts and three relief appearances with Triple-A Lehigh Valley this season. He posted a stunning 31/1 K/BB ratio over 19 2/3 innings with the club this month.
While it sounds like the Yankees have settled on Gordon for Thursday, they have also considered David Phelps or Hector Noesi for the assignment.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 50
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 62
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)