Jun 14, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
File this under one of those things that should have been obvious but wasn’t. Or at least wasn’t because I never thought about it: researchers did a study of baseball players and found that players who classify themselves as morning people do better in day games and night owls do better in night games. There’s more subtlety and detail to that in the article, but that’s the gist.
To be honest, though, I’m not certain that being a “night person” or a “morning person” is as bright distinction as most people make it out to be. I was most definitely a night person until I became a father, after which staying up until 2AM and sleeping late wasn’t an option. Sure, you change habits — I started drinking coffee when I was 33-years-old and I force myself go to bed earlier now — but I’d easily have to classify myself a morning person when it comes to effectiveness these days, even if I still long for the time when I could stay up late and sleep late. I think that in this people act like they act with a lot of things: they choose what they like and then claim that was the only option available to them.
Neat study anyway.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)