Jun 14, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
File this under one of those things that should have been obvious but wasn’t. Or at least wasn’t because I never thought about it: researchers did a study of baseball players and found that players who classify themselves as morning people do better in day games and night owls do better in night games. There’s more subtlety and detail to that in the article, but that’s the gist.
To be honest, though, I’m not certain that being a “night person” or a “morning person” is as bright distinction as most people make it out to be. I was most definitely a night person until I became a father, after which staying up until 2AM and sleeping late wasn’t an option. Sure, you change habits — I started drinking coffee when I was 33-years-old and I force myself go to bed earlier now — but I’d easily have to classify myself a morning person when it comes to effectiveness these days, even if I still long for the time when I could stay up late and sleep late. I think that in this people act like they act with a lot of things: they choose what they like and then claim that was the only option available to them.
Neat study anyway.
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 0
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 40
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 49
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 29
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)