The Diamondbacks do not want to move to the American League

Jun 14, 2011, 9:34 AM EST

Diamondbacks snake logo

I missed this yesterday, but apparently there had been a report that the Arizona Diamondbacks could be an alternate candidate to move to the American League in that whole move-the-Astros-to-the-AL realignment gambit.  Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports, however, that the Dbacks wouldn’t be terribly interested in that.  And, for that matter, Diamondbacks CEO Derrick Hall doesn’t think that they make as much sense geographically as some other team would.

Actually, that last part doesn’t make a ton of sense. Three of the four teams currently in the AL West are on the coast, so adding a team to that division that is closer to the coast would make less overall travel for the division as a whole than adding the Astros would. An AL West Houston team would double the number of trips to Texas for Seattle, Oakland and Anaheim. If you add Arizona, it’s just another stop on the way to California that the Rangers are making anyway. Not saying that travel is the be-all, end-all here — the Braves were in the NL West for 25 years or so — but it’s not nothing.

My guess is that this has a lot more to do with money. I bet that Arizona likes having the Dodgers and Giants fans — who swarm to Phoenix in the spring already — helping out at the gate when they come to town.  And you can’t blame him them for liking that.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jun 14, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Now tht I look at the D-Backs logo closely, it looks pretty cool. Perhaps Old Gator can identify it and tell us how many he has in his back yard.

• kopy - Jun 14, 2011 at 9:55 AM

It reminds me of the Walt Disney logo/script and how me and most of my peers growing up thought the “D” was some sort of strange backwards capital “G”. http://www.logoblog.org/images/walt_disney_logo1.jpg

• Jonny 5 - Jun 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Naaa, I’d totally appreciate a normal D, and/ or a better more realistic coiled rattlesnake myself. I never like the snake/ D hybrid myself. BTW I think thaty looks more like a pinelands Timber rattlesnake than a diamondback. But that’s just me..

2. jkcalhoun - Jun 14, 2011 at 9:47 AM

That humidor in Denver yearns for the challenge of neutralizing offense in the DH league.

3. takemytalentstosoutheuclid - Jun 14, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Has it been suggested anywhere that the Brewers just switch back to the AL? Geographically they are close to Minnesota and Chicago……

• kopy - Jun 14, 2011 at 9:59 AM

It has been suggested by someone else on HBT, which received a very favorable ratio of thumbs up. It’s my favorite suggestion too. I don’t think it will happen though as I haven’t heard anyone credible even mention it.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 14, 2011 at 10:02 AM

So we’re not credible around here? Are we incredible then? Or maybe just edible- that’s it- I like cake!

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 14, 2011 at 10:03 AM

Delicious, delicious cake. Much better than pie. Am I right? Of course I am.

• Alex K - Jun 14, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Guys, just know that ice cream is better.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 14, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Alex K- Ice cream is merely a delicious accompaniment- For example, you can have steak fries with your luscious steak, however the steak has to be there too or your just a heathen.
        Certain exemptions made be made for triple dip cones, however.

• cur68 - Jun 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Boys, boys, ice cream is cake’s best friend. Hell ice cream even makes pie a lot better, that’s why you see them together so much (ice cream’s soft hearted; just trying to make that ugly old pie feel better). I love me some ice cream and I love how easy ice cream is with everything. See ice cream is so easy it’ll do anything for kicks while not really needing to. Ice ream, you beautiful tramp of the desert world, I love you so…

• minnesconsin - Jun 14, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Brewers to AL Central, Royals to AL West is definitely the best idea I’ve heard floated — but again, it’s just been suggested in comments sections, for whatever that’s worth. This evens out both leagues with 15 teams apiece, and evens out all divisions with 5 teams apiece. The only thing I don’t like is that it makes the AL West even weaker than it already is.

The Brewers (first Seattle Pilots) were an AL expansion team and played in the AL for nearly 30 years before being jettisoned to the NL. Put them back where they belong, and leave teams like the Astros and D-backs where they’ve always been, in the NL. The argument that the D-Backs are easy to move because they have a short history is just weak — the Brewers have an equally short history in the National League.

• indyralph - Jun 14, 2011 at 11:46 AM

KC in the west is a non-starter. It’s a full two time zones different from all other teams in the AL west, and a long trip (closer to DC than LA) from any team. At least Houston would be near Dallas. Moving AZ to the AL means that an NL Central teams still needs to move to the NL West – Houston being the only one that makes. Why move two teams when you can just move one directly (Houston)? For the same reason, moving the Brewers anywhere is a non-starter. Second Brewers non-starter: the proximity to Chicago, which allows north suburban Chicagoans(?) to attend (invade?) more than 10% of Brewers home games. Bud Light is not giving that attendance boost up – no way, no how.

• indyralph - Jun 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM

That should be: Houston being the only one that makes “sense”.

• Alex K - Jun 14, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Len- Ice cream is just versatile. It is the best desert alone, and it makes other deserts better. Heck, it makes pie edible.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 14, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Silly cake eaters and their illusions of grandeur..

That is all.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 14, 2011 at 12:10 PM

And Ice cream goes with “EVERYTHING” It’s just “easy”.

• cur68 - Jun 14, 2011 at 12:29 PM

bubba likes easy … some Chunkey Monkey would go down easy right about now…

• Jonny 5 - Jun 14, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Chubby Hubby is my weakness. Chocolate covered peanut butter filled pretzels, mixed in PB fudge swirled vanilla ice cream. I mean, damn.

• Alex K - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:17 PM

See guys? Now you can’t stop thinking about ice cream. That’s why it is the Ruler of Desertland.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 14, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I believe I was one who suggested that. Move the Brew Crew back to the AL Central and move the Royals to the AL West.

4. quixoteswhore - Jun 14, 2011 at 11:12 AM

“My guess is that this has a lot more to do with money” …ha!, Mr. Calcaterra you usually don’t go so far out on a limb. Money makes the world go ’round…you know the song.

5. usuomojinga - Jun 14, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Since you’d then need to move an NL Central team to the West (which would probably be Houston anyway), it’s a wash geographically. If anything, it would favor moving Houston given the short trip to Dallas.

6. natstowngreg - Jun 14, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I’m still not seeing the big problem that would be solved by reordering the divisions.

7. dogsweat1 - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:52 PM

How about moving the Dbags out of the league?

8. Elwood Larf - Jun 14, 2011 at 4:21 PM

I do think that, geographically, the D’Backs make the most sense. I don’t think fans in Texas care all that much about Astros vs. Rangers to make it a real rivalry anyway, to say nothing of the fact that giving the Rangers and Angels one of the worst teams in baseball to kick around is going to sit well with the rest of the league. Houston’s recent style of play, however, offense first, defense last with an ace pitcher or two thrown in, does seem closer to an AL style of play. Arizona is a vastly improved club that could probably hold its own in the AL. Matchups against the Angels, Rangers and A’s would be interesting. Has anyone brought up the possibility of the Rockies moving to the AL? That would probably be the most interesting of all. Imagine Rangers-Rockies on TV every few weeks. I like that one.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3276)
  2. J. Kang (3106)
  3. C. McGehee (2820)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2803)
  5. J. Upton (2797)