The Marlins tell Logan Morrison to put a lid on it

Jun 14, 2011, 10:31 AM EDT

Logan Morrison AP

Marlins outfielder Logan Morrison is famously outspoken, both in interviews and on his Twitter feed. To date the Marlins have been wary but generally OK with it, but that changed last week after Morrison went on about how the team was upset after hitting coach John Mallee was fired:

Marlins left fielder Logan Morrison has been told to tone down his comments by president of baseball operations Larry Beinfest after Morrison’s reaction last week to the firing of hitting coach John Mallee. Morrison said he was told he can’t “point fingers at the owner, stuff like that,” after he said it was not “right” and not “just” that Mallee was dismissed last Wednesday.

I think the best part of this is that this story is appearing because Morrison is telling a reporter about how he’s been told not to talk.  Which, I presume, will lead to another instance of the front office talking to him, which he will then pass on to a reporter, followed by a …

1. kopy - Jun 14, 2011 at 10:33 AM

It was only a matter of time.

2. Jonny 5 - Jun 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM

But is it ever fair when a hitting coach is fired? I mean these guys are major league ball players here. I’m still kinda upset that Milt was fired from Philly. I thought he was doing all he could myself. It is nice to have a ball club where the players (employees) aren’t bashing on anyone for moves like that though. Positive environments equal positive results imo.

3. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Jun 14, 2011 at 10:43 AM

The Florida Marlins: Enemies of fun. Which may be why they can’t get anyone to come out to the ballpark.

4. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 14, 2011 at 10:47 AM

This immediately popped into my head:

time-paradox-divided-by-zero-demotivational-poster

5. skipp - Jun 14, 2011 at 10:57 AM

The MLB should freeze a players twitter account if they are hitting below the league average. Logan here is having a good year and doing better then average in most categories. As long as he’s producing he should be able to speak his mind (especially about his hitting coach). Obviously that’s a ridiculous comment, but it would be funny to see.

6. Old Gator - Jun 14, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Much as I sneer at the Feesh’s executive branch, given the slump he’s been in since he returned from the DL Morrison might be well advised to concentrate on his hitting instead of playing pirate radio. The Feesh are just coming off a 1-10 homestand that saw them nosedive out of serious contention and are batting .130 with RISP and Morrison grounded into a rally-killing 1-2-3 double play last night with the bases loaded and none out and the Feesh down by 3 at the time. Way to go. Hush now baby and swat at your whiffle ball till the stroke comes back.

• addictedzone - Jun 14, 2011 at 12:20 PM

he was 6 for 17 over the last four games since they let him out of twitter jail. Obviously he’s headed back to TJ now

• henryd3rd - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:55 PM

One of these day I shall do just that; but right now I up in NJ for a couple of weeks. I got tickets for the Yankees this week and then I’m off to Chicago to see them play the Cubs. This retirement thing is great

7. xmatt0926x - Jun 14, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Ugghh…. I guess I’m just old school when it comes to this stuff. Whether it’s fair what happened to the hitting coach or not, how about just staying off twitter once in a while because your a friggin’ man?? For gods sakes why do these athletes need attention so bad that they feel the need to tweet about every little thing all day and night? I just don’t get the need for any more attention than you already get as a pro athlete. I’m probably just venting because of my general dislike of the whole facebook and tweet thing to begin with. Come on people. Live a day in your lives where you don’t have to share every aspect of what your doing with the entire world! It’s great that your on vacation with the family or going out to dinner with the kids. Do you have to immediately reach for your phone and post it and share 5 pictures of it? Back in my day…….

8. henryd3rd - Jun 14, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Telling players not to be critical of the team in the press is a joke. The entire Marlin organization is a joke. They fired Fredi Gonzalez last year. How has that move improve this team? No one here in South Florida even cares about the “Feeeech”. Now that basketball season is over we can’t wait to see some football. By the way they’re moving into their new stadium next season and they have got to get winning soon or no amount of air-conditioned amenities are going to improve their attendance after the novelty wears off.

When was the last time a team opened a new stadium and management had to take out advertisements to get people to come a year in advance of the opening? Stupid! Plus the location of that new stadium will make commuting to and from the games a headache.

Couldn’t happen to a better group of lying, money grubbing, underhanded people. And I am not talking about the players; but I am talking about management.

For the record I’m a Yankee fan and I love baseball; so I do go to games but that new stadium will not be on my to do list. Location, location, location!!!!!

• Old Gator - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:34 PM

That stadium really looms on the skyline now, especially from the west. If you’re driving eastbound, it becomes visible on the Dolphin Expressway as soon as you come over the Red Road overpass, and gets bigger and more grotesque the closer you get. It’s just too weird looking to fit into the tropical ambiance of our beloved Macondo. It looks less like a stadium than the battle helmet of the space monsters from Predator.

• henryd3rd - Jun 14, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Management misled, lied and finally they screwed the citizens of Miami with that stadium deal. Now they think by running ridiculous ads in TV and print people will be conned into coming out and supporting that sorry excuse of a baseball team. Why should they give their heart and soul to a team that’s been blown up twice once they achieved their goal as World Series Champions?

Would New Yorkers still support The Yankees if after each Championship the team was blown and and they started from scratch? Hell No! Same here in South Florida. The residence have long memories and all those fireworks displays, rock concerts after games and giveaways are the only reasons that fans still come out; but not in droves. Loria and Sampson have conned a lot of folks; but thankfully the folks here have caught on are trying and staying away. Plus its too hot to be sitting in the sun sweating one ass off and watching lousy baseball. Seems like Gonzalez and Girardi seem to be doing quite well in their new managerial positions.

• Old Gator - Jun 14, 2011 at 8:07 PM

You would have enjoyed some of my tirades and exposes about Macondo Banana Massacre Field stretching back a couple of years. I had the privilege of escorting Craig himself around the stadium neighborhood last spring (spring ’10) and noting how utterly devoid of comprehensive planning for the area the entire stadium project was. Yes, we got screwed royally by the deal – but I’m not reopening that can of tapeworms and leeches until the subject is the stadium itself. Ugh.

Well, at least we can slap each other on the backs for offloading Alvarez so decisively last month, can’t we? Show up at the Luna Star Cafe in North Miami (NE 125th opposite MOCA) some night and ask for me and I’ll buy you one of their many exotic beers.

9. thomas2727 - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM

The pressure is obviously getting to the Marlins.

They are 4-14 since the Scott Cousins/Buster Posey game. Including 1-11 in June.

Who is Logan Morrison again?

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2842)