Derek Jeter goes on DL with calf strain

Jun 14, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT

jeter grimace Getty Images

6:00 p.m. EDT: After failing to talk his way out of the assignment, Jeter was placed on the disabled list by the Yankees, putting the chase for 3,000 hits on hold for at least 15 days.  Eduardo Nunez will take over as the team’s shortstop.  Ramiro Pena was called up to serve as a utilityman.

///

The official announcement isn’t supposed to happen until everyone gets settled in at the ballpark in hour or so, but everyone is saying that it’s likely that Derek Jeter will be placed on the disabled list today.  Jon Heyman says the Yankees are “strongly considering” it.  Most Yankees beat guys who have said anything have suggested that they would not be surprised.

It’s been some time since Jeter saw any DL time, but the danger in not doing it here is two-fold: (1) that the Yankees would be shorthanded in upcoming games against the NL in interleague play when you just know that Joe Girardi will want to get all double-switchy; and (2) more importantly, that the calf, if not completely rested and at least mostly healed, could become a chronic problem like Jimmy Rollins and some other players have had in recent years.

A third consideration — that the Yankees are really just gaming this so that Jeter can be back to get his 3000th hit in Yankee Stadium — is far to silly to be true, but far too delicious to be too mad at people for perpetuating in the first place.

1. itsacurse - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM

“My ovaries!”

2. bigyankeemike - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:14 PM

15 days from last night brings us to June 18. That’s a three game series at home (Brewers), then a six game road trip (3 games Mets, 3 games Indians), the 4 games at home (Devil Rays) before the All-star break.

Only 3 bad games there (Indians) – and how delicioso would it be if he did it at Madoff Park?

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Do what now?

• bennyblanco1 - Jun 14, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I am assuming he means Citifield. But I dont know why Jeter getting his 3000th hit playing the Mets makes it “delicioso” for him or Yankee fans.

• bigyankeemike - Jun 14, 2011 at 5:23 PM

See what happens when I don’t proofread? My bad.

I did mean that it would be a hoot if Jeter, should he not be able to get #3000 at home, got it at Citi Field. Met fan friends of mine still snicker over Seaver getting #300 at the Stadium (albeit with the Chisox).

And he’d be back June 28, not the 18th.

3. paperlions - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:19 PM

“could become a chronic problem like Jimmy Rollins” :-)

• cur68 - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:39 PM

‘Lions you beat me to it, damn your oily hide! Now I’ve got nowhere to go with my apostrophe joke. I did mention I was bored didn’t I?

• Jonny 5 - Jun 14, 2011 at 4:02 PM

PL, I have something to tell you. Call me @ 401-992-4029

• paperlions - Jun 14, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Hmmmm….yeah, that seems legit…but just in case….let me google that number….

• paperlions - Jun 14, 2011 at 6:49 PM

…and for those that didn’t notice, I was just making fun of Craig’s atrocious syntax.

4. Jonny 5 - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:20 PM

He so valiantly accepted a stint on the DL?? I do so need a fainting couch and some spirits posthaste!

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Yeah that’s for sure-you could have blown me over with a feather. Oh weel, he must have gone home early to watch the Tonys last night.

• cur68 - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Cuddling with Minka is more like it, lucky bastard.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:49 PM

cur- can’t get over your Minka fetish. He was waiting for best dramatic performance. Minka is always available.

• cur68 - Jun 14, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Len; the day I get over the likes of Minka Kelly is the day they’re throwing dirt on me. She is the living embodiment of ice cream, yes she is…

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 14, 2011 at 9:43 PM

OK, then this Mission:Impossible has been kicked up a notch for 15 days. You may have to have a moose suit at the border.

• cur68 - Jun 14, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Dude if Minka is on the menu I’m cleaning the shotgun and going moose hunting. This will be the most realistic moose suit you ever saw. I presume Jeets is going to be stuffed in the suit? Who’s gonna play the back end of that there hoss? Hey, if you bring Jorge too you could fill that moose suit out real nice like.

5. yankeesfanlen - Jun 14, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Whole new catagory for statheads- BBDL/LIAH

• phukyouk - Jun 14, 2011 at 4:42 PM

i get the Beep-Beep DL but not the other one

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 14, 2011 at 4:47 PM

Thanks for asking- Likes It At Home

• chadjones27 - Jun 14, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Can someone explain the “beep-beep”? I’m sure it’s some stupid nickname that maybe 5 people here are privy to. Much appreciated!

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 14, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Chad- Well, the legend varies, but it started as Beep-beep the Jete, which was then appropriated to Beep-beep I’m a Jeep (youtube it for further reference) meaning someone who is a get-out-of-my-way- I’m important. That it progressed to Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote, which I kind of like too.
        Hang aound a while and you’ll get the Know Your Universe nicknames, big prizes available, not available in NM and KS.

6. phukyouk - Jun 14, 2011 at 4:53 PM

nice! i hear Minka likes it just about anywhere.. i bet hes hit that 3000 times :_0

7. proudlycanadian - Jun 14, 2011 at 5:17 PM

To DL or not to DL the noble Captain. The New York media continues to milk this minor story.

8. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 14, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Who cares where Jeter gets his 3000th hit? 10 of the last 20 to get 3000 have done it at home, but for the ones who were on the road that didnt take anything away in the least from their accomplishment. I just dont get the emphasis put on Jeter needing to get it at home.

9. hep3 - Jun 14, 2011 at 7:42 PM

I am confused. Which will be the bigger event?

Jeter getting his 3,000th hit or Roger Clemens in the owner’s box at Yankee Stadium. Let’s ask Suzyn and Sterling.

10. Innocent Bystander - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:10 PM

It’s a ploy to give Posada more time before his release!

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate