Jun 14, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
Injuries have played a big part in the Indians losing 14 of 19 games to see their AL Central lead vanish, but it sounds like they’ll have Travis Hafner back in the lineup soon.
Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that Hafner took batting practice yesterday and is scheduled to begin a minor-league rehab assignment today at Double-A, putting him on track to return from the disabled list as soon as this weekend.
Hafner has been out since mid-May with a strained oblique and hit .345 with five homers and a .958 OPS in 32 games prior to the injury. Bastian notes that the Indians are 8-16 without him in the lineup and have hit just .224 with 3.2 runs per game during that time while starting six different players in the designated hitter spot.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)