Jun 14, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Injuries have played a big part in the Indians losing 14 of 19 games to see their AL Central lead vanish, but it sounds like they’ll have Travis Hafner back in the lineup soon.
Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports that Hafner took batting practice yesterday and is scheduled to begin a minor-league rehab assignment today at Double-A, putting him on track to return from the disabled list as soon as this weekend.
Hafner has been out since mid-May with a strained oblique and hit .345 with five homers and a .958 OPS in 32 games prior to the injury. Bastian notes that the Indians are 8-16 without him in the lineup and have hit just .224 with 3.2 runs per game during that time while starting six different players in the designated hitter spot.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)