And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

Jun 15, 2011, 5:21 AM EDT

Cleveland Indians v Detroit Tigers Getty Images

Tigers 4, Indians 0: If often seems like the game Justin Verlander is playing is unfairly easy when the game everyone else is playing is so damned hard. A no-hitter into the eighth, a two-hit shutout with 12 strikeouts overall.

Rays 4, Red Sox 0: James Shields with a five-hit shutout. Carl Crawford‘s return to Tampa Bay was probably a lot like seeing your ex at a party: your joy at seeing her is inversely related to the figure she cuts as she walks into the room. If she looks like a million dollars and has a suave and swarthy young man on her arm, you don’t want to see her. If she’s not at her best and is attached to a frumpy and disheveled older gentleman, well then, let’s go say our hellos.  Carl Crawford was 0 for 3 with a strikeout in his return to Tampa Bay, so I assume that because of that the Rays crowd greeted him more and more warmly as the night went on, even going to far as to engage the older gentleman accompanying him in conversation, offering him a subtle reminder that his date once had it much, much better.

Angels 4, Mariners 0: Five hit shutouts must have been contagious last night, because Jered Weaver had one too.

Mets 4, Braves 3: Jose Reyes continues to be ridiculously good, going 3 for 5, stealing two bases and scoring twice, and Jair Jurrjens has his worst outing of the year (5.1 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, 5 BB). But really, with all of those Mets on base, it should have been way worse for Atlanta.

Nationals 8, Cardinals 6: St. Louis had a 6-1 lead after five innings and blew it, primarily on the power of Miguel Bautista imploding for five runs in two-thirds of the six-run seventh inning. Only one of the Nats’ runs came on an extra base hit. The rest were singles, fielder’s choices, wild pitches, and other small stuff.

Pirates 1, Astros 0: Just your standard six-pitcher shutout, with Jeff Karstens leading the way (6.2 IP, 3 H, 0 ER). Let’s be charitable to the Astros too and give new pitching coach Doug Brocail credit for the nice showing by Bud Norris and the pen. No I don’t believe he had anything to with that, but if we as a group are going to believe that midseason coaching changes matter, let’s go all the way with the charade.

Phillies 9, Marlins 1: Chris Volstad fooled no one (5.2 IP, 10 H, 8 ER). Cole Hamels fooled many (7 IP, 3 H, 1 ER).  For Philly, it was mostly a homer-fest, with four guys in red pinstripes going yard, Domonic Brown doing so twice.

Yankees 12, Rangers 4: Curtis Granderson hit a two-run homer and a two-run single. Pretty much everyone else for the home team hit too. I suppose that they were inspired emotionally by Derek Jeter‘s tragic death.  Wait, what? You mean he didn’t die?  He just went on the disabled list? Hmm. I guess I need to actually read the news stories instead of merely gleaning their emotional tone when trying to determine what happened.

Blue Jays 6, Orioles 5: Adam Lind walks off with an 11th inning homer. He also led off the Jays’ scoring with an RBI double in the first.

Reds 3, Dodgers 2: The Reds have gotten great starting pitching over the last week and a half or so, and Johnny Cueto‘s outing last night continued it, as he allowed only a single unearned run in seven innings.

Giants 6, Diamondbacks 5: San Francisco jumped out to a 5-0 lead but the snakes clawed back. Wait: snakes don’t have claws. That makes no sense. Anyway, the comeback came a bit short.

Rockies 6, Padres 3: According to the game story, Jim Tracy held a closed-door meeting before the game, the Rockies won and all is right with the world.  I always wondered what would happen if baseball teams were run like British Parliament. If, say, after the closed-door meeting the team came out and performed lackadaisically, would that be akin to a no-confidence vote and would the general manager have to dissolve the team, the manager resign and elections be held?  And what the hell is a Chancellor of the Exchequer anyway?

Cubs 5, Brewers 4: Starlin Castro had three hits, including a walkoff hit in the 10th inning, capping the Cubs’ comeback from a 4-1 deficit in the eighth. Aramis Ramirez had a two-run bomb in the eighth to tie it up at 4.

Royals 7, Athletics 4: From the AP game story:

Kansas City pitcher Danny Duffy didn’t see much need to celebrate his first victory in the major leagues. His teammates thought otherwise and gave the Royals rookie a milk shower.

I hope that wasn’t a euphemism.

White Sox vs. Twins: POSTPONED:  The rain cooled about half-past three to a damp mist, through which occasional thin drops swam like dew. Gatsby looked with vacant eyes through a copy of Clay’s ECONOMICS, starting at the Finnish tread that shook the kitchen floor, and peering toward the bleared windows from time to time as if a series of invisible but alarming happenings were taking place outside. Finally he got up and informed me, in an uncertain voice, that he was going home.

1. curr68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 6:49 AM

One time I pooped in the shower.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 15, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Cur,
      Is everything been okay with you recently? You don’t seem to be acting like yourself. Has the consistently poor play of the Blue Jays finally exacted a toll you can no longer pay? Are you drowning yourself in bottle and after bottle of Crown Royal to numb the pain? Me and some of the other posters are worried about you.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:11 AM

That’s not Seisenta y ocho—note the double r. It’s somebody trolling as cur68 to poke fun at him.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Morning! Thanks for the concern and the props lads. That up there is the literary stylings of a certain bo-sox fan. Apparently I angered him over . . . well I don’t know what, but I’m sure he’s got a real good reason for his behavior. I think he’s off his meds, po lil fella.

But never mind him. I’m here for the baseball, lit-ri-choor and debate not random mental illness discussions. The Jays did indeed win last night. Craig does young Adam Lind little service. If anyone wants to see the HUGEST home run ever hit to right field at Roger’s Center you should check out that walk off, 11th inning blast. 5th deck. I think it bounced off God.

The Jay’s should have won that game easy but their bullpen is gassed and Mike McCoy, their back up short stop and utility infielder, wasn’t available to pitch. Only 3 days rest you see. In fact, since the balance of the team (not counting pitchers) was playing on 5 days rest as they basically dozed from Thursday to Tuesday AM (aside form McCoy who had a perfect 9th against the Sox on Saturday), they should have pummeled the Orioles.
        Game 2 tonight. Edge of your seat stuff, eh?

• missthemexpos - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Can’t remember if the lid was open for the game last night, but if it was, Lind’s blast just might have bounced off the observation deck of the CN tower. Did they give an estimate on the distance?

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:37 AM

All I heard was 5th deck. If I had to guess I would say over 500 feet but it had just started to level off and dip when it hit the wall. Man, don’t hang a breaking ball in front of that guy.

• professor59 - Jun 15, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Officially, it was 404. But it was over the 328 sign and those darn seat got in the way.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Jun 15, 2011 at 7:37 AM

Cole Carlton continued his mastery of the National League. Since that first horrendous start, on a cold rainy and otherwise lousy night in early April, Lefty II is 8-1 with a 2.05 ERA, a .197 BA against in 88 innings, and 88 K/16 BB ratio. Does anyone still think there is any chance the Phillies do not win the NL East comfortably?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jun 15, 2011 at 7:40 AM

That should be 9-1, not 8-1 since the first start. The offense is finally starting to come around. Lets sweep this double header today!!

• mercyflush - Jun 15, 2011 at 7:51 AM

well, KK is pitching the first game (or as I like to call him, BB BB). Here’s hoping we get good Kendrick instead of normal Kendrick.

Doc vs. Anibal tonight is a great matchup. Then I expect Lee to dominate tomorrow night (he’s been on quite the roll lately and has actually been great at home all year. All his troubles have been on the road).

3 out of 4 vs the Marlins is what I expect, but I’ll take a sweep if it happens.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I’d do with late 2007-early 2008 KK.

• wlschneider09 - Jun 15, 2011 at 7:54 AM

Looks a lot more like Cole Viola to me. The way he uses that change is vicious, he has so many hitters out on their front foot swinging so badly. The last time I saw a lefty changeup artist make hitters look so consistently bad was Frankie V. in his glory days.

Maybe Johan Santana? But I think even he never looked as good as Hamels does right now.

• bleedgreen - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:16 AM

If everyone can stay healthy, then yeah. They should walk away with it. If they can score 5 runs a game average from here on out, I don’t even think the BoSox can take them out in the Series.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:17 AM

Chicks dig the long ball, right? The Phightins just need to mix up long and small ball to keep the pitchers guessing. Stellar pitching is great to have and all, but I like days when the outcome is a foregone conclusion once in a while, too. Way to go boys. It’s time for a seafood smorgasbord, and a feast of Gator feesh is on the menu.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Good morning Mr. Hair. Didn’t see your by-line yesterday. Waddup?

Concur re. ‘Uncle Craigy’. Juuuust a little weird. I see your Philthys won last night. I must say, when your offense shows up, they sure like to make a splash, don’t they? A serious case for young Mr. Hamels to be considered the top dog of that rotation, eh? Pwned ‘em.

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:09 AM

The underside of the strange attractor retreats in the distance and the Feesh now have a splendid view of the Mutts’ derrieres – reminds me of the time I got stuck in the front position of a six-man dogsled in Quebec and had to sit there watching a bakers’ dozen Husky rectums bobbing up and down in front of me, black blobs on white backgrounds, occasionally ejecting a bolus which the succeeding mutts kicked back like a foozball until the last one booted it into my lap.

Rumor has it that the Feesh will be changing their name to the Lampreys shortly because of how badly they suck right now. I watched as much of it as I could stand last night, which wasn’t a lot. How bad is it? The Feesh homepage “highlight” video was entitled “RBI sac fly.” These guys couldn’t have looked more burned out and disengaged if they had dragged their bats from the on deck circle to the plate. They’re playing about as poorly as the Mermaids dance, if such a thing is possible. I don’t want to denigrate Cole Hamels – the guy is lights out this season, as any idiot can see – but the Feesh don’t even look like they’re trying. Chris Volstad looked like he wanted to show his pal Ricky Nolasco that he could get shelled like a cachihuate too – don’t wave no weewee at me, buddy. Flat Eddie seems to have adapted the strategy of spelling his boolpen by sacrificing his starters.

And at the plate? That single run has become something of a Feesh trademark during this summer of discontent (Cowboy Junkies reference there, Canadians!). It’s as if to say that that one measley run per game at least verifies their existence even if it isn’t enough to validate it. It’s their existential statement, you know? Reminds me of that great Stephen Crane poem:

A man said to the universe:
        “Sir I exist!”
        “However,” replied the universe,
        “The fact has not created in me
        A sense of obligation.”

Anyway, if you’re playing so badly you could hardly consider yourself a “feast,” Ut. In my Retched Rekap yesterday, I described the Feesh as a “snack” for the Feelies – kinda like those smoked salmon fins at the seafood end of the deli counter I like to call omega popsicles, just not nearly as nutritious.

• Phillies Homer - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Old Gator, I don’t think I have ever not enjoyed one of your posts…

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Then you cannot possibly be a Republican.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Gator has done it again. Brilliant stuff re dog-sledding. That imagery is terrific.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Okay, Gator. Your anchovies are appetizers for a cheesesteak feast. That better?

• Utley's Hair - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Seisenta y ocho, I’ve been kinda busy here at work and elsewhere. Besides, I’m trying to lay low a bit, since these guys actually expect me to get stuff done once in a while. Believe it?

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Ut: yeah, that’s more like it. But the idea of anchovies with Velveeta….queso blanco, maybe. Hard to imagine how Velveeta could stick to soybean oil.

The dogsled imagery is the one hunnert percent twenty-years-ago-but-can-see-it-all-now-like-it-was-yesterday truth. And how cold is Mont Ste. Anne in February? At least the damned things were frozen solid by the time they bounced into my lap. And of course you couldn’t let go of the grips on either side of you to swat them away or you’d tumble right out of the stupid sled. I had collected a dozen of them by the time we stopped at the little chalet for pea soup with ham Quebecois, though you can imagine how much of an appetite I had left.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:57 AM

“In his past six outings he has a 1.64 ERA and has allowed just eight runs in 44 innings.”

Nice…….

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:34 AM

I think if Manuel is making one mistake with this team, it’s that he’s not using Antonio Bastardo enough in pressure situations. It’s not that I think he’s a good picture, I just just like hearing people say, “Bastardo”

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Make that pitcher instead of picture- not that I didn’t think you’d be bright enough to figure that out, but I thought I’d point it out before the grammar police did. I’m only halfway through my XXL coffee this morning- so you must excuse me.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Hey! And I thought I was the only one to like that guy’s name. “Antonio Francisco Bastardo”. He sounds like a really bad dictator. Kind of guy who buries his enemies out behind the presidential palace and drinks Cuervo out of their skulls.

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Cur, you gotta read The Autumn of the Patriarch or, at the very least, rent Bananas from Netflix. It is not well known, but Bananas is actually Woody Allen’s adaptation of the Garcia Marquez classic, and it is a persistent favorite here in La Republica Platinosa de Macondo for that reason.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Morning there Gator. I laughed and laughed when I saw your suggested reading. I have actually heard of The Autumn of the Patriarch when, back in January of this year, I was doing a bit of research. Not wishing to appear ignorant when commenting on this here board, my research was on where in tarnation the City of Macondo was!

I’ve a STACK of leisure reading waiting for me come October when I either graduate of chuck all this research crap and go back to work. Both One Hundred Years of Solitude & Autumn of the Patriarch are on the heap.

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Well in that case I suppose you ought to read Cien Años de Soledad first. With the possible exception of Blood Meridian, The Sea of Fertility and The Bear Comes Home, it is the only postmodernist meganovel written during my lifetime that is so perfect and ultimately so sickly hilarious that you can’t tweenk a comma out of it without bringing the whole thing crashing down on (in?) your head. And the opening sentence has to be the greatest opening sentence in all of Spanish literature, here translated (more or less) for your convenience:

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Come on now, you just can’t beat that….

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Oops, that accursed “post comment” button again….

I would have posted the opening sentence of Autumn of the Patriarch too but it’s about twenty pages long or some such thing. GGM uses “God damn you” as a punctuation mark….but let me know when you’re ready to read it and we’ll take that voyage of discovery together, you know, like in Fitzcarraldo….

• spudchukar - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM

You seem especially on your game today OG, too bad your Pheesh cannot duplicate your efforts. From hauling ships over mountains to the unheralded verse of my favorite poet, a tip of the hat.

War is Kind.

3. Utley's Hair - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Uncle Craigy? How disturbing does that sound? Around here, there was a whackjob they called Uncle Eddie, who paid boys for their used underwear—oh, and something about pizza boxes.

4. kander013 - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:32 AM

The Great Gatsby, Delmon Young’s favorite book. Makes sense to me.

5. royhobbs39 - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:38 AM

As a Nationals fan, it is a shame the poor record is distracting from the strong bullpen perfomrances as of late. Rodriguez, Clippard, and Storen are all supporting near 2.0 ERAs or lower. I would like to see what happens to the team ERA in the later innings. Zimmerman looked a little shaky in his first game back starting off with 2 Ks. Also, keep an eye on the team as a whole. You are looking at a recent 9-5 run against the Giants, the D’Backs, the Phillies, the Cards, (and the Padres). All teams at or near the top of the standings. Hopefully Zimmerman will hit like he was doing in the minors and hopefully Livan will elude federal indictment. While other teams are losing players, the Nats seem to be heading in the other direction. Throw in the revenue from the shopping mall food court and keep an eye out for a possible pickup late in the season.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:41 AM

“You are looking at a recent 9-5 run against the Giants, the D’Backs, the Phillies, the Cards”

That’s called teams playing down to their competition, although I am sure the scientist Paperbag will probably attribute it to coincidence or have some other scientific reasoning for that stretch. ;)

• royhobbs39 - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:49 AM

The Natinals have an upcoming run against the O’s, the Mariners, the White Sox, the Pirates, the Cubs, (and the Angels). Lets hope they do not play down to their competition. ;)

• Jonny 5 - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:40 AM

The Nats will top the Mets by the end of the season. Then true despair will fall upon Mets as the NY media has it’s fun…

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:21 AM

I firmly believe the Nats will come in second place in the NL Least next year. I may even stop calling it the NL Least next year, because I think they will do so well they may even give the Phillies some competition, unlike the Braves, Marlins and Mutts have done during the last 4+ years of Phillies dominance in the division.

• paperlions - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Chris, if you can’t be bothered to understand that just about anything can happen in small sample sizes in baseball, I’m not gonna try to explain it to you.

You firmly believe a lot of things that don’t make much sense. According to you, some player play poorly because they lack pride, by extension 2006 Ryan Howard must have had more pride than 2011 Ryan Howard…I mean, how else could you possibly explain the difference in performance?

• Ari Collins - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Fiorentino does not understand baseball. Case in point: the Mets (who have been outscored by 10 runs this year) finishing above the Braves (who have outscored their opponents by 38 runs and stand 4.5 games ahead, tied for the wild card).

• natstowngreg - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:59 PM

If your theory were true, the Nats would be leading the NL East.

6. halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Dom “the Bomb” Brown really was treating the baseball badly last night. The second homerun that he hit into the second deck is still waiting to come down. After he hit it, the camera showed JRoll telling Uncle Charlie how in awe he was of Bomb Brown’s power.

This kid has been something to watch so far. Playing him everyday is starting to pay off.

I hope Hamels’ back is OK, though. Has to be a small, slight concern.

7. uyf1950 - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:23 AM

The Yankees on again off again offense was on last night after being off on Monday. Baseballs a funny game. Basically the same group of guy’s with a completely different result. But hey, who am I to complain and on top of that the Red Sox finally lost a game. Only 1.5 games back after a somewhat lackluster 10 days or so and a performance for the ages by the Red Sox. I’d say that’s not bad. But that’s just my opinion.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Or you could say that the Red Sox are in first by 1.5 games after a 2-10 start to the season…and that’s pretty bad.

• uyf1950 - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:49 AM

Chris, my friend you could say that. But why would I, when you already have. And since the Red Sox were expected to lead the division by, do I have to say it again, all the “so called” experts them being in 1st place should not be unexpected. In fact what should have been noteworthy is that it took them nearly 9 weeks to get there. But there is not sense in crying over “spilt milk”.
        BTW, I’m surprised that you neglected to mention the Red Sox only 2 wins during that 12 game start to the season was against the Yankees. Now there is no need for you to say it because I have. All of the above is just my opinion.

Before I get off the topic of this blog I want to add an addendum to my original comment. That is the performance of the Yankees LF their $500,000 left fielder Brett Gardner batting .282 with a .362 OBP and .787 OPS pretty good value for the Yankees at basically the league minimum. That’s just my opinion as well.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:19 AM

When it comes to the Bronx Bombers, I choose to always look at the glass as half empty.

• uyf1950 - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:28 AM

Chris, my friend. Look at the glass anyway you like. But it’s been filled with champagne on 27 occasions.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Did you really just go “27 championships” on me? Damn.

• Ari Collins - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:56 PM

Rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for the house in blackjack.

But I totally agree with you about the standings. The last 10 games or so have been no indictment of the Yankees. They’ve been playing great. They just lost ground to a team playing insanely great for a stretch.

• uyf1950 - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Chris, come on. Your earlier reply about seeing the glass half empty just opened the door real wide for my earlier reply. One I couldn’t resist about the champagne. I don’t believe I’ve ever brought up the Yankees past titles here at least not the one’s going back to the beginning. But you reply offered me a once in a lifetime opportunity one that I couldn’t resist.

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:41 AM

uyf- I think we’re at least seeing the 15 day Yankees. Nunez decided he’ll be doing this for a while and might as well do a little more and actually audition for things that might eventually come his way. Swish is hitting again and for some reason last night became a manifestation of the old circular lineup. What causes all this?
      Perhaps Klapisch actually has an answer:
      And, once again I’ll complain about interleague interrupting what is an exciting season.

• uyf1950 - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM

My friend it’s unfortunate the Nunez’s development is going to be hampered by Jeter’s contract. No way Nunez sees regular action until at least 2013, unless Jeter has extend stays on the DL or decides to “retire” earlier then expected. That’s just my opinion.

• deathmonkey41 - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I’m hoping that Nunez develops into something, but right now, he just looks like Alfonso Soriano without the power. I think he needs to learn patience at the plate- we have enough guys that go up there hacking at everything.

8. Jonny 5 - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:28 AM

“Homer-Fest”

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:33 AM

I hate when they write stuff like this…

“The Phillies cannot afford to lose Hamels, who is 9-2 with a 2.49 ERA this season and establishing himself as one of the best pitchers in baseball.”

Really? Why not? I mean, I love Hamels too. But they would still have Doc, Lee and Oswalt. Let’s not be so stupid to think that losing Hamels would give any of the scrubs in the NL Least a chance.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I long for re-alignment and the Jays to go to the NL East. They’d do much better there…

• Jonny 5 - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM

I’d love to be able to, but I can’t write off the Braves if Philly lost Hamels. Take away his wins, or half of them, and the Braves are in first place. And Hamels plays well vs. the Braves. I’d say they probably squeek out in first place without Hamels but dude, the Braves are in a heated match for the WC spot still even with dealing with the Phillies regularly, and Uggla turning out to be a dud. Not bad.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:17 AM

The Braves are pitching so far over their heads it isn’t even funny. Jair is going to come back to earth, being that he is a full 2.5 runs lower than last year’s ERA and I think 09 was a fluke. Hudson is pitching like a 36 year old who had TJ surgery a few years back. DUI-erek Lowe is what he is…a middling 4+ ERA guy. Hanson is the only guy in that rotation I’m afraid of…in my opinion, he is the closest thing to the next Clemens with have seen in the past decade.

And for all the frigging grief the Phillies offense has received, they are 7th in runs while the Braves are 11th.

Fear not the Braves my friend. Fear NO ONE in the pathetic NL Least.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:46 AM

LOL!!! High fives baby… but really last season it was NL east teams and the WS champs in the end there, and the Braves are tied for 2nd most wins in the NL with the Phillies in first. The NL east is not EASY!!!!!

9. Jack Marshall - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Lost in Shields’ terrific performance was the fact that 44-year-old Tim Wakefield had as good a knuckler working as he has ever had, gave up one earned run in 7 innings, and threw more pitches in a game than he has in 8 years. AND will still probably lose his slot in the rotation to Andrew Miller anyway.

There is no justice.

10. sportsdrenched - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Craig left out of the Royals-A’s Game that Franchy walked TWICE! (and gunned down a runner at the plate. )

11. ditto65 - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:39 AM

I don’t believe that their has been enough Yankees coverage lately, so I bring you Jorge Posada, Version June.2011.

He is batting .444 in his last 10 games and is providing stellar defense at first (ok – it was one diving grab, and the flip to CC wasn’t the best), allowing Girardi to comfortably give Tex breathers as DH.

We hear about Jorge when he is a hot-head, but ignore him when he contributes.

I also believe there exists a correlation between the manifestation of Grumpy Jorge and his son’s medical condition – which recently required an 11th operation.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I don’t know why Jorge would be all grumpy because his son’s sick enough to warrant 11 operations!!! If it were 12, maybe I could see it, but 11?

But seriously, I hope everything works out for the Posadas. We’re pulling for him—the tyke, that is, and not Jorge, since he’s a dreaded Yanker, and all. :P

12. APBA Guy - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Sigh.

Make that 13 out of the last 14. The new, interim manager is 1-4. This time the A’s had help, courtesy of an atrocious call at 3rd by ump Mike Estabrook who called Escobar safe as he slid into Sizemore’s tag. The extra out led to two runs in the KC 8th.

Not that the A’s need the help, what with Cahill’s continuing descent into his rookie year performance. He was gone after 4 and 1/3. And he’s the A’s number 1 starter. Next week’s trip to Philadelphia, instead of the great pitching duel between the old Masters and the young wannabe’s, is looking like a potential 3 days-off for the Phightin’s.

Worse still, this mess ‘o a team has to play cross-bay rivals Los Gigantes in two days. That could be really ugly. And humiliating.

• Utley's Hair - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:40 PM

That manager shift doesn’t seem to be panning out, does it?

• APBA Guy - Jun 15, 2011 at 3:37 PM

“Small sample size” but who’s optimistic?

13. spudchukar - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Granted the Nats, didn’t make much of a dent into the “batted balls”, but with defense “The Riot” was displaying and the collective inability to throw the object orb over the dish last night it mattered little. Garcia, the pitcher, overcame various “rollers with eyes”, “dying quails” and “sundry boots”, but the extra work forced his pitch count up and he lasted only 6 before, the so-called bullpen came to the rescue. In Hollywood the cavalry shows up just in time to save the wagon train. In St. Louis it is slightly different. We send in Gabby Hayes, and/or Jingles.

We are fine if it is the eighth or ninth, cause our rookies Sanchez and Salas are conjuring up miracles and remain unsullied, however before the Latino Duo can truncate any rallies, it is time for the “Wild Bunch”, and this group would make Peckinpaugh pee. The ringleader, is Batista, the pitcher, or so he says, a quieting influence in the young pen, I am informed by the Red Bird announcer. I have an idea, lets make him a coach, or insist his compatriots wear blinders when he is called upon, because he is the quinessential “do as I say” not “do as I do” dude. And do-do is the net result. His performance has been dreadful. Leftie specialist, Travis Miller was next. He used to be Mr. Automatic, well he still is but in a slightly different capacity. Automatic Ball One, Ball Two, etc, you get the idea. We have actually have two Leftie Specialists, but in name only, as Numero Dos is a carbon copy. Tallet. His name implies ability. Don’t believe names. He wasn’t called on last night, but matter not the result would have been similar.

Finally we have the “The Clanton Boys”, young, wild, red-necked gun-slingers. Bullet-Proof and dangerous. Sometimes experienced hurlers are called “crafty”, well we have two who are the antithesis Thought is NOT part of their make-up. These two prefer the Neanderthal approach. The only question that enters either’s crested-cranium is “When”. “Where and How” are unnecessary complications. “Command” is a lexical item that might as well be Swahili, cause no commentator would ever use it in conjunction with either Motte or Boggs.

It has been a glorious season so far in St. Louis, with one surprize after another, but when it comes to “middle relief” or defense at SS the play has been far too predictable. Since Theriot has been so good offensively, his failures with the glove, have been glossed over. Last night however, he committed 4 errors, but either the “Official Scorer” was family, Cajun, or lead to and fro games by a German Shepard, he was only charged with two. Single-handidly, and perhaps that might have been a better approach, cause two hands sure didn’t work, he provided the spark that the Nats hitters couldn’t. And then it was “turned over to the middle-relievers” which is a euphemism in St. Louis for inevitable loss.

Add Andrew Brown to the growing list of first-year names that have aided the Cardinal cause. Since Memphis has become the well-spring for so much emerging talent, can we not try a New Six for our relief corps. Radical, yes but I would rather give 6 unproven youngsters a chance, then stick with the Sextet we currently employ. En Masse, the exit of the posse Batista, Miller, Tallet, Franklin, Motte, and Boggs. At least the outcome would be unknown.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Spuddy; It pains me to see you in so much angst. Now if your boys played by AL rules they’d have an extra hitter and could afford some of that ham fisted defense you describe as part time DHs. I realize nothing I type will change your opinion but just dare to dream. Who would be your DH, how many fewer strike outs would you see and how much more offense would you add to your team when your mind wanders down the little used trail of your DH imagination? It’s good isn’t it?

• spudchukar - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:43 PM

My mind wanders into enough dark corners of its own with out guidance from an Inuit Guru, espousing the grandeur of an ancient sacrificial rite, more commonly known as the DH. Keep it in the AL if you must, but proselytizing its expansion will bring forth more loathing similar to yesterday’s rant. It troubled me to include you in the “simple mind” category yesterday, and I considered that as I vented, but the expansion of said rule would lead to the downfall of Western Civilization so I carried on knowing I might be trampling on your snow-covered moccasins. I am very fond of Canada, having spent many days searching for cold beer to carry out, across your wonderful country, almost exclusively in BC. However, no matter how much positive influence your more rational country has to offer us bone-headed Americans I am reminded that not all Canadian ideas are to be copied. For all your greatness, you also produced, Curling.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Ahhh, curling. Similar to the UKs fascination with darts, it takes a certain kind of person to engage in it. One baseball team for the entire nation and we fight like mad dogs to curl. With such capriciousness is it any wonder that my people produce greatness on a semi regular basis? We give the world Rush, Shatner, Twain, Margot Timmons and Leslie Nielsen. Along the way we also produce, like a big dude after a particularly suspect truck-stop burrito, Adams, F$%king Bieber, Dion and Anne Murray. The good with the bad and the sodding cringe-worthy awful.

Well, hang on to your NL dreams my friend. I do believe my Beaverboys play the Reds, Braves & Cards in due course. You & I will have some opportunities to revisit this NL rule and how it affects the game. Now hurry hard & get your chores done; tonight the Canucks attempt to win their first Stanley Cup ever against the Hated Bruins and all manner of Baseball is being played as well. Salut!

• spudchukar - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:23 PM

I just checked back after reading about the divorce, so I promise more civility. But the real reason was remembering that I had failed to wish you good luck tonight. Almost nothing can take me away from the beloved Cards, but tonight, once the puck drops in Vancouver, I will be glued to the ice. Go Canucks.

P.S.- You forgot Avril, but no love for Young?

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Well, the post would be a wall of text if I got into it about all my likes and dislikes so I had to cut it short. I try to keep Lavigne out my thoughts as much as possible. She is the nation’s shame. As for the redoubtable Mr. Young, he is our shaggy nasal voiced god; our own home made Dylan.

Don’t spare the horses for me; I need the distraction at the mo. Nothing takes my mind off my troubles like a good NL v AL debate and since I like both sets of rules I can have it either way.

Goooooo ‘Nucks!

14. The Rabbit - Jun 15, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Overlooked in the “He helped his own cause” category: Matt Cain executed a beautiful bunt in the bottom of the 4th that scored Cody Ross from 3rd and advanced Crawford to 2nd.
    He was pitching well, too, until the implosion.
    On the other the hand, the D’Backs are playing like a major league team. Who would have thunk it?

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2858)