Baseball has apparently done some stuff to combat the dangerous shattering bats thing

Jun 15, 2011, 1:03 PM EDT

Colvin getting impaled

This article has a lot in it about woodworking and “slope of grain” and stress resistance and stuff and I really stop being sharp at around this time of the afternoon so I can’t really parse it too well.  But this seems like the upshot to me:

MLB employs TECO, a certification and testing agency for wood products, to inspect bats. And now that broken-bat incidents are being tracked and categorized, the data can be used to target specific teams, players and manufacturers. “It becomes very obvious what players are breaking the most multiple-piece failures,” Kretschmann said. “What teams are they on? What are the teams that are breaking a lot of bats? You can kind of pinpoint where you go.”

So baseball is apparently inspecting and confiscating dangerous bats that don’t conform to some standards that are mentioned in the article but which are hard to tell whether or not they represent a safe threshhold for bat shattering.

Progress I guess?  Hard to say. Unless you just ban maple bats, it seems like we’re just sort of spitballing.  If no one has been killed or blinded by a breaking bat in the next five years or so I suppose we can declare victory.

1. b7p19 - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:06 PM

“If no one has been killed or blinded by a breaking bat in the next five years or so I suppose we can declare victory.”

Yeah, I would call that a victory.

2. halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:07 PM

The only way that MLB can cut down bat breaking drastically is to remove Roy Halladay from baseball. His hard, heavy-handed pitches shatter more bats than the rest of MLB combined. He keeps the bat making industry a more lucrative business.

• RedHeadedBastard - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:23 PM

you are literally too stupid to insult

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Thank you. Anything else?

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:59 PM

No, I think RedHeadedBastard covered it nicely.

3. yankeesfanlen - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Where did these maple bats originate from anyway? (Well, I know maple trees)
    Mo makes the most broken bats throwing, Johnny Damon hitting. This does not make much sense, but I guess scientists could evaluate what happens.

4. natstowngreg - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:35 PM

New at Nationals Park last night. When a bat is broken, the out-of-town scoreboard shows a broken bat total for the season. Sponsored by Waste Management. Three broken bats last night, for a total of 14.

Then, they nail the Nats’ broken bats together and sell them at the Team Store.

• kopy - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:33 PM

I suppose they gotta do something with the broken bats. The Twins advertised last year (don’t know about this year) that the DNR would plant a certain number of trees for every bat broken by a Twins pitcher. It sounds nice, but they cynic in me is pretty sure that the DNR would have planted those trees anyway, and they just want good PR.

At work I was recently solicited a gift catalog. The catalog sold, among other things, bottle openers with handles made out of bats from MLB teams. I recycled the catalog after going online and learning the Twins’ openers were sold out, but I did giggle at the fact that 28 teams all had the same price, with a “trendy tax” resulting in higher prices for Red Sox/Yankees.

• clydeserra - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:57 PM

Dodgers bullpen catcher used to make them into lamps and sell them. I don’t think it was for charity.

5. Jason @ IIATMS - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:41 PM

**batglove** cough, cough.

Because the answer might really be that easy.

• Alex K - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:49 PM

If anyone didn’t see this coming then they just aren’t familiar with Mr. IIATMS’s work.

• b7p19 - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:45 PM

One guy gets stabbed in the heart with a broken bat and we aaaalllllll overreact…..

6. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Why can’t we wrap the maple in titanium? That wouldn’t shatter anything but the faces of the fans in the bleachers trying to catch a homerun.

• jimbo1949 - Jun 15, 2011 at 3:06 PM

or pitchers standing 55′ away.

7. hermitfool - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:41 PM

As long as bats are configured with thin handles and large barrels bats will shatter, whether they’re made of maple, ash, or bamboo.

8. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 15, 2011 at 3:39 PM

To bad this wasnt put in place before Sammy Sosa shattered his bat and all illusions of him as a power hitter.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3551)