Jun 15, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Benched last night for the third time in six games Jason Bay offered up a very reasonable response when questioned afterward by reporters, noting that it’s tough to complain much about not being in the lineup when you’re hitting .207.
I’m a realist. I’m not playing that well. That’s just the reality of it. Had I been out there hitting .500, I think I’d have a little more reason to have a little more say. It’s the way it is.
Terry Collins sat Bay in order to get Willie Harris into the lineup versus Braves starter Jair Jurrjens, against whom lefties have fared much better than righties and Harris was 7-for-14. And it worked, as Harris went 1-for-2 with two walks and a stolen base while the Mets scored four runs in 5.1 innings off Jurrjens.
However, if Collins is now willing to sit Bay versus tough right-handed pitchers that’s actually a more extreme stance than simply benching him for a few games, as it means regular time on the bench. Adam Rubin of ESPN New York asked Bay whether he felt Collins’ usage of him had changed, to which Bay replied: “I just work here.”
And for quite a while longer, too. Bay is making $16 million this season and is also under contract for $16 million in 2012 and 2013, with a $17 million option or $3 million buyout for 2014.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 8
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 34
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 3
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)