Benched again, Jason Bay says “that’s just the reality of it” and “I just work here”

Jun 15, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT

Jason Bay Getty Images

Benched last night for the third time in six games Jason Bay offered up a very reasonable response when questioned afterward by reporters, noting that it’s tough to complain much about not being in the lineup when you’re hitting .207.

I’m a realist. I’m not playing that well. That’s just the reality of it. Had I been out there hitting .500, I think I’d have a little more reason to have a little more say. It’s the way it is.

Terry Collins sat Bay in order to get Willie Harris into the lineup versus Braves starter Jair Jurrjens, against whom lefties have fared much better than righties and Harris was 7-for-14. And it worked, as Harris went 1-for-2 with two walks and a stolen base while the Mets scored four runs in 5.1 innings off Jurrjens.

However, if Collins is now willing to sit Bay versus tough right-handed pitchers that’s actually a more extreme stance than simply benching him for a few games, as it means regular time on the bench. Adam Rubin of ESPN New York asked Bay whether he felt Collins’ usage of him had changed, to which Bay replied: “I just work here.”

And for quite a while longer, too. Bay is making $16 million this season and is also under contract for $16 million in 2012 and 2013, with a $17 million option or $3 million buyout for 2014.

1. halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:19 AM

“I just work here.”

Lol! Spoken like a typical Mutt. I swear, that place must be poison to any ballplayer that team signs. Great players, like a Johan Santana, sign with them and are never the same.

I wonder if that team is just jinxed…

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Just happen to agree with this. Players go from professional athletes to clock-punchers when they sign on the dotted line with the Metropolitans. Course, if they played hard and were injured they’s have the crack Mets medical team attend to them. Oh…..that’s it.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Dude, I swear, I have never seen anything like this in my life with a baseball team. Do you ever listen to Steve Somers on WFAN? Even though I live in Philly, I l have listened to WFAN for years because they they talk a lot of baseball. Steve Somers, a lifelong Mets fan, even think this team must be jinxed.

Never saw anything like it…

• yankeesfanlen - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Steve Somers is the ONLY program I listen to on FAN cause he’s so freakin’ funny.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Yeah, Len,

The Shmoozer is a great listen. Him and Francessa are two of the best sports interviewers I have ever heard. Either one of them could easily go national if they wanted to.

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:36 AM

As far as the current WFAN, none of these guys are good enough to have held Pete Franklin’s jockstrap. And as far as that guy who always sounds like he’s choking on a live duck, even though they call him Mad Dog Russo (Mad Duck Russo has more panache), the only time he ever made sense about anything was over Harvey Keitel’s car radio in Bad Lieutenant.

• revis24 - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:44 PM

“Mad duck Russo” hasn’t been on the WFAN in years. Someone should put down this “old gator”, his mind is mush.

• bennyblanco1 - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Do you spew hate in all your comments? Or does it just invole the Mets.

What do you want Bay to say? He is batting 207.

I have to agree that many players have put on a Met uniform and played far worse than their career average. But don’t lump Johan in there. He pitched well and often lacked run support. As well as lost a plenty of W’s due to the bullpen. Injuries happen.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:44 AM

It’s just Phils-Mets rivalry talk. Phillies are now on top, so this is the way it is.

You should be enraged by Bay’s comments if you are a Mets fan. “I only work here” is nothing any fan wants to hear. If it was in Philly, we would be demanding this guy’s release.

• Alex K - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:35 AM

Yes, he does spew hate in all his comments.

• bennyblanco1 - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM

I feel empathy for the guy. He cant figure out whats wrong and must be taking a huge toll on him mentally.

The I just work here comment does not bother me and I am a Met fan. If you notice I rarely comment on anything else. Its gotta be killing him inside when that average flashes on the scoreboard. What would you like him to say that he hasnt already said? He’s working on it. He’s in the cage and taking his swings. But he’s confidence is shot.

No one could hae predicted this type of dropoff in prodiction, I dont care where he plays half of his games. He seems like a good dude and I just wish him well and hope he finds his swing.

• Paul Zummo - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Dude, you have an unhealthy obsession with the Mets. You would think three (going on four) division titles in a row, a world championship, and a couple of pennants would have dulled that inferiority complex, but I guess not.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Don’t give me that, Paul. Mets fans for years always talked crap about the Phillies when we were bad. I heared it all the time.

Now the Phillies are in control. Sit back and like it.

Like the great Chris F. once said, take your medicine and like it.

And if you were truely a Mets fan like you have stated, you would not like what Jason Bay said either. I hope the NY media shreds him for these comments.

• Phillies Homer - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:48 AM

I don’t think there was that much hate in bicepts reply, although I agree he is a pretty pessimistic individual…

But, being a Phillies fan — you just know more about your rivals than say, the Indians, Angels or teams in other leagues, etc…

We see first hand the signings the Mets have made, which at the time, may have struck a little fear in us Philly fans. And when about 90% of the signings have turned into washed up has beens, you can’t help but to comment on it… and to, perhaps, insinuate that a “jinx of being a Met” could have occurred.

Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion! And you can’t say, that if roles reveresed that Halladay/Lee/Ibanez etc… all played awful and costed the Phillies a lot of other players… that you wouldn’t comment on it?

• Paul Zummo - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:50 AM

PH, it’s not as much of a jinx as it is being strapped with a terrible GM who didn’t make a good signing or trade after the 2005-06 off-season. Mercifully Minaya is gone, and the last remnants of his ineptitude is relegated to being a platoon guy. At the very least they’re not playing Bay every day just to justify the contract, a mistake they too often made over the past couple of seasons.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Phillies Homer,

Pessimistic is probably the wrong word to describe the Bicepts.

I’m more like Jason Bay. “I’m a realist.”

• Phillies Homer - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:04 AM

bicepts, you were inconsolable when the Phillies offense was sporting out a lineup with Mike Martinez, Wilson Valdez, Dane Sardinha, and Ben Francisco.

A “realist” would say… eh, these guys aren’t the starters… I’ll wait to complain about the Phillies offense when everyone is healthy and they still aren’t producing.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Phillies Homer,

That is not entirely true. They still were fielding a team of Rollins, Howard, Polonco, and Victorino. With the exception of Polonco, none of the other healthy regulars were hitting a lick. Watching bad baseball game after bad baseball game will drive the most dire fan to the brink of jumping off a bridge.

I was a “realist” about the offense at the time. They stunk!! And everyone knew it.

I tell it like I see it. I don’t like to sugar-coat anything with the Phillies just because they are my favorite team.

2. cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Ooof, that’s a lot of dough for a guy riding pine. WTF happened to this guy? He was once among the best and now he’s little better than a platoon player? At least he won’t starve and be homeless in the cold Canuckistan winter.

I wonder how much of his troubles are lingering concussion issues or if it’s that injured rib cage from grapefruit league action this spring.

• Alex K - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:39 AM

He’s abandoned Canada. He’s now an American citizen. But you can have him back.

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I think he’s suffering from a prion-vectored neurological disease related to Die Vloek van der Geitbok, which was brought to Chicago from Indonesia by a former brain-eating native who had become a reality television star. It is likely that the disease spread from Chicago to New York via home sex videos that made their way onto YouTube and adjusted to the New York environment by becoming louder and more obnoxious.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I like the prion related cause. That’s about the only sensible reason to change your citizenship FROM Canadian to anything else.

If Mr. Bay, the pride of Trail, British Columbia (famous for athletes, bears, avalanches, and snow mobile accidents that involve heads rolling around like soccer balls), decides to change his citizenship back to Canadian we’ll happily take him back. Then I predict, once The Stain has left him, he’ll magically transform back into an excellent baseball player and can alternate DH and 1st base with Adam Lind on the Jays.

Until then its Die Vloek van der Geitbok for him.

3. Paul Zummo - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Luckily Bay was Minaya’s last mistake. I thought the contract would go bad in a couple of years, but I never would have imagined he would have flamed out this quickly.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Dude, he flamed out more like “instantly” it was as if he put on the uniform and went directly into a deep depression.

4. bobwsc - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:34 AM

send him back to the Sox, Mets take Drew in return, put Bay in left and Crawford in right – everyone wins.

• Jack Marshall - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Sure. Even with his slow start, JD gets on base and makes the plays in right, which Carl doesn’t have the arm to play…and Crawford’s OBA is still under .300.

Don’t let reality get in the way of irrational Drew-hate, by all means.

• 24missed - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Thanks for the offer, but the Mets can keep Bay. No Drew-hate here, lotsa lovin’. That guy gets clutch hits ~ grand slam memories, anyone? ~ and those plays in right are totally underrated. Keeping Carl in left with those guns and speed is a perfect fit. So, please, keep the Bay. At least the bench is toasty.

5. visnovsky - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Omar Minaya, the gift that keeps on giving.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Most of the AAA guys on the mets roster, who are doing surprisingly well, are Minaya guys as well. I’m not saying he was great, because he wasn’t. But if you are going to blame him for the mistakes, someone should point out the good stuff too.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I hear Philly is looking for a RH bat. Trade?

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:15 PM

No way. We’re not that desperate.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS