Jun 15, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT
I’m not sure they’re all worthy of separate entries, but there’s plenty of Cardinals news today:
– Albert Pujols is making his fourth start and fifth appearance at third base in Wednesday’s game against the Nationals. It may not mean a whole lot to some, but that fifth appearance gives him third-base eligibility in a lot of fantasy leagues, making the game’s No. 1 property even more valuable.
– Allen Craig, who had been doing excellent work before going on the DL on Sunday with a left knee contusion, was found to have a small fracture in his kneecap, likely putting him out through the All-Star break. Craig has hit .336/.405/.523 with 23 RBI in 107 at-bats this year, so it’s a substantial loss. Still, he wasn’t going to play quite so much anymore because…
– The Cardinals confirmed Wednesday that Matt Holliday would come off the disabled list on Thursday. He’s been out since June 1 with a left quad strain.
– The team also revealed that rookie setup man Eduardo Sanchez was sent home Wednesday for a shoulder examination. The hope is that he merely has some inflammation, leaving him day-to-day. Still, the Cards will want to be careful with the 22-year-old. Sanchez, who was briefly the team’s closer last month, has a 1.88 ERA in 28 2/3 innings.
– Finally, the team sent down third baseman Matt Carpenter today to make room for Kyle McClellan, who is coming off the DL to start against the Nationals. Carpenter was 1-for-15 during his brief stay.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)