Carl Crawford heckled in return to Tampa Bay, says Rays partied more than Red Sox

Jun 15, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT

Carl Crawford AP

Craig already wrote about Carl Crawford‘s return to Tampa Bay being like seeing an ex-girlfriend at a party, but it’s also worth noting that many of his ex-boyfriends didn’t treat Crawford all that well.

There was a solid amount of booing as he stepped to the plate for the first time, although eventually the rest of the crowd drowned it out with cheers and applause.

And as Crawford told reporters after the game, the crowd around him in left field was particularly harsh, calling him a traitor for leaving the Rays and mocking his poor numbers with the Red Sox.

Before the game Crawford was asked to compare his time in Tampa Bay with his early impression of Boston and replied:

It’s all baseball. But it’s a little different. It’s more a younger team [in Tampa], so it was more like party central all the time. [In Boston] it’s a little more calmer, a little more conservative. That’s probably the biggest difference.

That and about $100 million in payroll.

1. kellyb9 - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I’m shocked fans other than those in Philadelphia boo a player. Is this more widespread around the league or is it just Tampa and Philly?

• jimbo1949 - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:49 PM

I’m shocked he admitted hearing the fans(?) raggin’ on him. I thought one of the unwritten rules is: you never hear the boos, only the cheers.
      I’m positive that’s called Negative Reinforcement.

2. pisano - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I’ll bet if Boston had to do this over again Carl wouldn’t get 120 + mil per. I’m just sayin.

• Joe - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:05 PM

He doesn’t get “$120+ mil per” now.

Also – lotta season left. Lotta contract left for that matter.

• bignick1063 - Jun 15, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Carl is a very good player, but, I think he got more money than he is worth. $120M over 7 years is a huge commitment. That kind of contract should be going to a great player! I think the overall lack of big name free agents allowed Carl and Jayson Werth to get alot more money than would have normally been the case.

• Jack Marshall - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:07 PM

It’s too early to say that, but Crawford is lucky that the Sox have been so successful, because he’s been terrible. He’s not getting on base, and the only reason he has some walk-offs is that he’s had tons of people on base in front of him. He’s also not stealing bases, hard to do when you can’t get on, and his defense has been spotty. The odds are that he’ll have a great 2nd half, but if he doesn’t, yeah, that contract’s not going to look good at all.

• dan1111 - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:54 PM

In April he was horrendous, but since then his hitting has been in line with his career numbers.

However, the lack of stolen bases is strange. He hasn’t been caught that many times, but he has made far fewer attempts than one would expect, even given his early struggles to get on base. It can’t be put down to the team’s philosophy, either–Ellsbury leads the league in stolen bases. Weird.

• ltzep75 - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Crawford’s Splits to back up the above statement:

last 14- 286/311/524
        last 28 – 309/333/574

or

april – 155 /.204 /.227
        may – .304/ .328 /.482
        june – .283/ .306/ .500

So I’m pretty sure Theo isn’t about to jump of the zachem bridge anytime soon.

• heynerdlinger - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest that the Red Sox probably don’t evaluate their 7-year contracts based on 10 weeks’ worth of data.

3. shaggylocks - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Booo! Traitor! How dare you turn down that contract Tampa Bay offered you to go play for another team! Boooooo!!!! Hissssss!! You Judas! You…. what? What’s that? You mean Tampa didn’t offer him a contract? You mean he literally had no choice but to go to another team?

Oh. Right.

• indaburg - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Don’t be so simplistic. Fans here aren’t upset that he went to another team. We knew the Rays couldn’t afford to keep him and offering him a token contract would have been an exercise in futility.

Fans are upset that he went to THAT team. Had he gone to any team other than the hated Yankees or the equally hated Red Sox, he would have been welcomed back as a hero.

To top it off, the not-so-media-savvy Crawford says that “his heart belongs in Boston” and neglects to thank the organization and fans that supported him for 10 years during said press conference. Had he not added insult to injury, he might not have been booed by anyone his first at bat.

It’s kind of like your girlfriend dumping you for a rich douchebag, then saying, “My heart has always belonged to him.” B!tch. Forget you. In the words of the great philospher, Cee-Lo:

Yeah i’m sorry, I can’t afford a ferrari,
      But that don’t mean I can’t get you there.
      I guess he’s an xbox and i’m more atari,
      But the way you play your game ain’t fair.
      I pity the fool that falls in love with you
      (oh sh!t she’s a gold digger)

That said, had I been at yesterday’s game, I would have politely clapped for the many years he was here during his first bat. Then I would’ve booed him just like I boo any one wearing a Sox uniform.

• 24missed - Jun 15, 2011 at 7:27 PM

This is the same guy who took out a full page in the newspaper to thank the fans for all they have done for him. I also remember he held a barbecue for the organization as a thank you.

Kinda seems like some real nice gestures to me.

• raysfan1 - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Thanks, 24–was about to point that out myself.

4. 24missed - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I was shocked that the fans would boo him, too. Unbelievable. The guy isn’t even offered a job at his old place and should be treated so poorly? What was he going to do? Call it quits at 29 because they laid him off when there were other job offers? Give me a break.

I bet Boston would hire Carl over again in a heartbeat. Just a couple of months into his contract and his numbers have gone up dramatically. This is a big city to adjust to in so many ways, money or not. He’s Carl Crawford and he’ll be putting up Carl Crawford numbers and breaking records Carl Crawford-style in no time. No worries here about this guy.

Boston is also grateful they don’t have to face him ~ just ask any of the pitchers. Or Varitek.

5. Old Gator - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:16 PM

What’s being left unforgivably unsaid here is that returning to the Tropicana Dump is like seeing that your ex has gained two hundred pounds of ugly fat, is wearing a dress so ugly that the local thrift shop would have left it discreetly in the dumpster after paying you a buck for it out of pity, was used first as a tug toy by your pitbull puppy, then as a dishrag, and hasn’t been washed in years. Whatever nostalgia the sight of her might have inspired, it is lost in the tidal bore of relief you feel that you got out of that relationship when you did, even if the strange you doinked immediately after escaping from her gave you herpes.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:27 PM

This sounds like an analogy to a real life experience Gator. I’m sorry to hear that. ;)

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM

But only an analogy. Since I’m not Jungian, though, I can distinguish an analogy from an identity. On the plus side, I do not doubt that I have dodged a lot of microbial bullets in my long, sordid career, and even at my most hallucinogenically preconditioned, I never needed to carry a supply of paper bags to the bedroom. Luck? oh yeah.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I’m still trying to get my wife to Self Realization and Knowledge (along the Jungian line of thought). It seems all of the symptoms of not reaching this point yet are beginning to wear on me some. Or is it true females of our species will never reach this point therefore will always show the symptoms that tend to drive me nutty?

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Jesus Gator, I’m in the middle of a divorce. Are you predicting I’m going to get herpes in next year?

• Old Gator - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Not as long as you remain mired in the middle of your divorce. I do have some useful advice for you, though. Psychologically, the best way to survive a divorce is to imagine that you are already at the end of it even before you begin it. That, a reusable mylar condom and a small bowl of ethyl alcohol will take care the remaining hazards for you. Then again, there’s always lysine….

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Wait, I’m copying this down…where in tarnation do you get a mylar condom from anyhow? Never mind; I’ll make one with super glue and the leg off a heat resistant suit. Does it gotta be ethyl? Can I use methyl ’cause I know it’s handy to have a stiff drink on hand but sometimes blindness is a blessing. As for lysine; I’ll double my steak intake.

• raysfan1 - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:02 PM

When I got divorced, I dropped 40 pounds. Why? I ran. A lot. Everytime I found myself sitting around the house thinking “this sucks,” I’d go run. I was still thinking “this sucks,” but at least the subject of what was sucking changed. Better than blindness from methyl alcohol or a DUI from too much ethyl alcohol.
        Of course, once I started realizing that life was much better minus the crazy person in the house, I gained all that weight right back. The restauranteurs in Tampa definitely loved that [Bern's--unbelievable steaks, pricey though; Schiller's--German deli; Hugo's--Cuban; Lenny & Vinny's--best pizza; Jimmy Mac's--tough choosing between the best burgers in the area and the grouper].

6. RickyB - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM

To absolve Crawford of the blame by stating that the Rays didn’t even offer him a contract is a bit disingenuous. They didn’t offer him a contract because there was no point — they knew they couldn’t compete with other offers he would get, not because they didn’t want him. No, I don’t believe that Rays fan should boo him, but they would be a lot less likely to if he had gone to the Angels instead of a division rival.

7. Jonny 5 - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:26 PM

It just shows you how out of touch fans can be. Crawford wasn’t offered anything to stay. Not even an offer….

• kingbuccaneer - Jun 15, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Why they hell would the Rays even attempt at offering a contract when he’s getting offers for $142 and $110 million????

He’d laugh, piss on the offer and send it back with shit stains.

8. phillyaces - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Heckled by who the 25 rays fans that actually made it to the game.

9. Ace - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Carl Crawford’s OPS this season, by month. April: .431. May: .810. June: 861. His overall numbers sill look terrible because of that slow start, but he has been playing much better lately. He’s going to be just fine.

10. deathmonkey41 - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Lots of empty seats in that joint last night. The response that Crawford received reminded me of when Bob Uecker introduced the Indians for the first time in “Major League”.

11. ltzep75 - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I should also point out that Crawford took out a full page ad in teh paper thanking the tampa fans back in january. But yeah, totally classless guy.

12. DCBlueStar - Jul 6, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Funny, only one team was outted for beer and chicken.

Shut up, Benedict Crawford.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5121)