Deep Thoughts: Prince Fielder free agency edition

Jun 15, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT

Prince Fielder AP

Over at ESPN Chicago there’s a big story up titled “Report: Prince Fielder Open to Cubs?”

Setting aside the notion that a question — “Prince Fielder Open to the Cubs?” — is not a “report,” is it not the case that Prince Fielder not ruling out a potential team in his upcoming free agency is not news?

News would be if a soon-to-be free agent said “Though I will be a free agent and thus truly free to join any team of my liking that is likewise interested in my services at a fair rate, I must announce now that I will not be considering the Chicago Cubs, for they offend my sensibilities.”

A guy, when asked, saying that he will not rule out a team is simply being sensible and/or polite to the reporter.

But hey: ESPN got a “report” out of it, and that’s worth some page views.

1. halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:35 PM

It would be wise for Milwaukee to resign this player in the off-season. If you want to be able to compete, you have to. I don’t know what their finances are like, but I think that ownership needs to dig into their own pockets to make it happpen. Especially, if this team winds up going back to the American league. You need all the offense you can get.

• SmackSaw - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:46 PM

You think? Thank you, Captain Obvious.

• halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:50 PM

That’s General Obvious to you, big man.

• uberfatty - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:06 PM

They should re-sign if the price/years are right. I don’t think MKE can stomach a 7/180 type deal that I’m sure he will be looking for, especially if they stick in the NL (which is likely the case). They don’t have that big of a payroll.

Now, if he signed for something lik 5/100 or 6/120, and MKE goes back to the AL – I’m all for it.

• skipperxc - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Unfortunately for the Crew, they offered 5/100 over the offseason and were flatly rejected. I’d love to have him back but there’s only so much you can pay the man.

• uberfatty - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Now, if he signed for something like 5/100 or 6/120, and MKE goes back to the AL – I’m all for it.

2. pbsenerchia - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:36 PM

… aaand, now, so did you. Just sayin’.

3. Jonny 5 - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:37 PM

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:59 PM

I pick Sir Albert and there’s only one way to resolve this: cage match!

• Jonny 5 - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:01 PM

You’re on Little man!!!

• paperlions - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:06 PM

I’m not sure there is a winner to be had considering the salary each will command, but…I would take Pujols because he gives you defensive value, can play multiple positions, and is a good base runner. Fielder is all bat and only bat, horrible on the bases and horrible in the field…fat guys don’t tend to age particularly well, and once they start a decline it tends to be very fast.

The Brewers would be better advised to use money to sign some of their young pitching than to overpay for a hit-only player that is likely to age poorly and is a great DH candidate.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:33 PM

36 year old Albert
        32 year old Fielder

Hmmm? which one is better? I have to go with #2.

• paperlions - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Why? You haven’t given any reasons for you position. Fielder is fat, bad at fielding and bad at running. He alternates good years and bad years. Fat guys age very badly, in general, they fall off the map, and do so at a relatively young age. Fielder already only does one thing well, and he does it very well….Albert still does pretty much everything well. He’s just a better player, always has been.

Besides, the argument isn’t who do you want in 5 years, it is who do you want for the next 5 years.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Why? It’s all there for you to look at if you look, but I guess I can point it out..

4 year age diff. + Prince
        5 errors this season vs. 1 + Prince
        22 errors since 09 vs. 12 + Prince
        Back problems vs. None + Prince
        Getting better vs. getting worse + Prince
        Right now, who’s got the better bat? + Prince
        Who does Jonny think will be all washed up first? +Prince

• paperlions - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Errors? Seriously? You want to check who has the most assists and put outs (which are confounded for 1B, but still not meaningless)? Pujols fields so many more balls than fielder that a few errors per year are irrelevant compared to the 100 or so extra outs (balls that are singles past “Fielder”) that Pujols converts each year….seriously, that is the size of the difference in singles/doubles past the 1B position with Pujols vs Fielder playing. Last year Fielder had 86 assists and had a career high of 99; Pujols had 157 with a career high of 185. Pujols also averages more than 100 extra PO/year, many of which are 3 unassisted plays. In short, Pujols converts 100s of batted balls/year into outs that are hits past Fielder.

Go look at Fielders history. He has had 2 very good years, and a very good start to 2011, and then a bunch of okay to solid years. When you have 5+ years worth of data, it is best not to use the last 2 weeks to base your decision on a 5 year investment.

You want to find a link to Pujols having a back problem for me? Thanks.

• thefalcon123 - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:09 PM

Albert’s WORST season: 5.8 WAR
      Prince’s BEST season: 6.4 WAR

Prince’s career best OPS+ 166
      # of Time Pujols has topped that: 7

Albert’s weight: 230
      Prince’s weight: 275 (and he’s 4 inches shorter)

Prince’s most similiar players through current age: Darryl Strawberry, Eddie Murray, Juan Gonzalez, Jose Canseco, Kent Hrbek,

Albert’s most similiar players through current age: Jimmie Foxx, Frank Robinson, Ken Griffey Jr, Lou Gehrig, Hank Aaron.

I’m not saying Prince Fielder isn’t an excellent player, I’m saying you’re batshit insane if you would pay Prince the same amount of money as Albert.

• Jonny 5 - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:22 PM

“5 or more years”

I totally see Prince being worth more in 5 seasons. Actually more like 3 seasons. Sir Albert just seems a little fragile lately. Plus Prince is 4 years his junior.

As I said “If I had to give a contract to either “The Prince” or “Sir Albert” for the same money, and for 5 or more years. I would pick “The Prince” every single time.”

• Paul Zummo - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:49 PM

I was wondering what Omar’s been doing with his time off. Nice of you to comment here.

• spindervish - Jun 15, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Is this really that crazy given the parameters he chose? I mean you can disagree, but “batshit crazy”? Omar Minaya? You’re that confident Pujols isn’t already in some level of decline and will continue hitting like he has prior to 2011 for the next 5 years?

Prince is a stud man, and he’s only like 27.

4. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM

ESPN is notorious for stuff like this. That being said, I dont understand why the Cubs would would sign someone else to a huge free-agent contract. Have they not learned from their past mistakes on this. Hello Fukudome, Soriano, Ramirez, Bradley, etc…etc…, Fielder is big (read fat) enough that he will not age gracefully and a long term contract will just come back to bite them in the ass just like the aformentioned ones i noted above.

5. Jonny 5 - Jun 15, 2011 at 6:20 PM

PL, Albert has 5 years to prove me wrong. I know what you’re saying though, if it were 3 years and not 5 or more, there would be no question at all. He would be the obvious choice.

6. raysfan1 - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:27 PM

I would flat out love it if some player said, ““Though I will be a free agent and thus truly free to join any team of my liking that is likewise interested in my services at a fair rate, I must announce now that I will not be considering the Chicago Cubs, for they offend my sensibilities.”

Three legends off to Cooperstown