Jun 15, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
Setting aside the notion that a question — “Prince Fielder Open to the Cubs?” — is not a “report,” is it not the case that Prince Fielder not ruling out a potential team in his upcoming free agency is not news?
News would be if a soon-to-be free agent said “Though I will be a free agent and thus truly free to join any team of my liking that is likewise interested in my services at a fair rate, I must announce now that I will not be considering the Chicago Cubs, for they offend my sensibilities.”
A guy, when asked, saying that he will not rule out a team is simply being sensible and/or polite to the reporter.
But hey: ESPN got a “report” out of it, and that’s worth some page views.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 61
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 56
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11