Jun 15, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
Setting aside the notion that a question — “Prince Fielder Open to the Cubs?” — is not a “report,” is it not the case that Prince Fielder not ruling out a potential team in his upcoming free agency is not news?
News would be if a soon-to-be free agent said “Though I will be a free agent and thus truly free to join any team of my liking that is likewise interested in my services at a fair rate, I must announce now that I will not be considering the Chicago Cubs, for they offend my sensibilities.”
A guy, when asked, saying that he will not rule out a team is simply being sensible and/or polite to the reporter.
But hey: ESPN got a “report” out of it, and that’s worth some page views.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)