Frank McCourt has supporters in the Hispanic community too

Jun 15, 2011, 5:07 PM EDT

Frank McCourt

Remember that odd report last week about the African-American churches sending a letter to Bud Selig supporting Frank McCourt as owner of the Dodgers?  Well, according to Tim Brown at Yahoo! he’s getting support from the Los Angeles Hispanic community too. At least part of it.

The basis for that support? Not totally clear. McCourt and the Dodgers helped refurbish some sandlot fields and stuff and are described as having been good to the community — and somewhat more sensitive to the Hispanic market than previous Dodgers owners — but one still wonders whether that’s enough to go to bat for someone like McCourt.  But hey, what do I know about politics?

Still, it’s not like McCourt and the Dodgers have always been supportive of that community. Specifically the small businesses within it

1. halladaysbicepts - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I also hear that the Legion of Superheroes have come out in support as well. The only dissenting opinion of McCourt has come from Batman because, well, he doesn’t like anyone.

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Jun 15, 2011 at 5:17 PM

“We don’t like the commissioner, who doesn’t have a good track record with Latinos, butting in.”

I like this quote even though I don’t get it. Is this even partially true? It seems Selig should be pretty popular among Hispanic ballplayers, at the very least. I’m not going to defend Selig b/c he’s ‘The Man’ and I shall always rebel against said ‘Man’, but that quote just sounds absurd to me. I wonder if Hispanic Manny Ramirez gives two shits that he’s about to help cause McCourt to miss payroll this month and cause a Bud takeover.

• koufaxmitzvah - Jun 15, 2011 at 7:27 PM

I am sure “A good track record with Latinos” meant pulling the All-Star game out of Arizona.

3. tuftsb - Jun 15, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I assume that the NFL is anti-Hispanic, as there is no team in LA?

If this idiocy is what passes for the general Dodgers community, “I say, let ‘em crash!”

4. andrebeingandre16 - Jun 16, 2011 at 4:13 AM

as a Latino Dodger fan i will say frank mccourt does not have my support :)

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3015)