Holy crap, Adam Lind killed a baseball

Jun 15, 2011, 11:04 AM EDT

lind_adam

I mentioned Adam Lind‘s walkoff, 11th inning homer from last night’s Jays-Orioles game in the recaps. But I just now saw the highlight.

Mercy me, did he destroy that ball. He and Koji Uehara just seemed to silently tell one another. “Yep.”

Matt Wieters hit one a mile too, but I think Lind’s went farther.

Wow.

1. cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Did I not just tell you that? I do believe I scooped ya man!

2. boxchain - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Hit Tracker has Lind’s shot going 404 and Wieters’ going 418

• Chris St. John - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Yep, just looks farther because it’s 328 down the line at Rogers Centre. And the ball probably hit near its apex.

3. kopy - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Hit tracker only gives it 404 feet. It was a hell of a smash, but I think anytime a ball is hit with a lot of arch and angled close to the foul pole it looks tremendous because of high up it hits. It came off the bat at 107.6 MPH, which is obviously really fast, and it shows in the first angle of the broadcast.

4. losburrosinblue - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:33 AM

I think the story is told by the outfielders. The left fielder trotted back before completely giving up on Wieters shot. The right fielder can be seen in position in Lind’s shot. Maybe Wieters was farther, but Lind’s was a no-doubter.

• atworkident - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:34 PM

matt wieters hit his with one arm. matt wieters only swings with one arm to be fair to the pitcher. he also is really left handed but throws runners out with his right to give them a chance.

• professor59 - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Inigo Montoya would be proud.

5. APBA Guy - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:35 AM

That was a hanging mushball extraordinaire. I wonder why Uehara isn’t pitching for the A’s with that pitch in his arsenal. But really, how far would Adam Dunn have hit that pitch?

6. oikosjeremy - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I think Domonic Brown’s second home run last night, well back into the second deck in right, was at least as impressive as either of these. But then I would say that, as I’m a Phillies fan.

7. Utley's Hair - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Now, THAT’S the way to give up a walkoff.

8. yankeesgameday - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Dumb ass jumped on home plate like Kendry Morales.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:28 PM

yankeesgame'; As I watched him come home I thought the same thing. Note to all sluggers who hit a walk off; do NOT JUMP ON HOME PLATE.

• hoopmatch - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Announcers noticed it, too. One of them mentioned it.

• cur68 - Jun 15, 2011 at 12:59 PM

If he broke an ankle jumping I was gonna start referring to him as “Adams Lind”.

• missthemexpos - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:27 PM

I would have called him Adam Limp.

9. missthemexpos - Jun 15, 2011 at 1:44 PM

To prevent injuries, ground crews around the league should quickly bring out a large inflatable home plate anytime there is a walk off home run.

10. jimbo1949 - Jun 15, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Looked like Cano’s shot last night, a low liner, was in the stands before he could leave the box. Not far, but fast.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS