Jun 15, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
At this rate the Marlins will announce next week that Josh Johnson won’t be returning until 2015.
Johnson was initially expected to miss just a couple weeks with shoulder inflammation when Florida placed him on the disabled list in mid-May, but manager Edwin Rodriguez admitted Monday that they were no longer expecting Johnson back before July and last night the Marlins transferred him to the 60-day disabled list, ruling out a return before the All-Star break.
Rodriguez explained the move by saying that Johnson has yet to start building back his arm strength and will need multiple bullpen sessions followed by multiple rehab appearances before potentially being ready to rejoin the rotation, but not explained is why his timetable has gone from two weeks to two months (and counting) without the presence of a significant setback.
Was he misdiagnosed at the time on the initial DL stint? Did he suffer a major setback that simply wasn’t explained by the team? And if the answer is neither of those things, then how does one of the best pitchers in baseball go from sitting out a couple weeks with shoulder inflammation to being placed on the 60-day DL?
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)