Jun 15, 2011, 10:47 AM EST
At this rate the Marlins will announce next week that Josh Johnson won’t be returning until 2015.
Johnson was initially expected to miss just a couple weeks with shoulder inflammation when Florida placed him on the disabled list in mid-May, but manager Edwin Rodriguez admitted Monday that they were no longer expecting Johnson back before July and last night the Marlins transferred him to the 60-day disabled list, ruling out a return before the All-Star break.
Rodriguez explained the move by saying that Johnson has yet to start building back his arm strength and will need multiple bullpen sessions followed by multiple rehab appearances before potentially being ready to rejoin the rotation, but not explained is why his timetable has gone from two weeks to two months (and counting) without the presence of a significant setback.
Was he misdiagnosed at the time on the initial DL stint? Did he suffer a major setback that simply wasn’t explained by the team? And if the answer is neither of those things, then how does one of the best pitchers in baseball go from sitting out a couple weeks with shoulder inflammation to being placed on the 60-day DL?
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 121
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (369)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (126)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)