Mitt Romney, Red Sox fan, didn’t know the Rays have a dome

Jun 15, 2011, 9:16 PM EDT

Former Massachusetts Governor Romney reacts during first New Hampshire debate of the 2012 campaign at St. Anselms College in Manchester Reuters

Presidential hopeful Mitt Romney is hosting a fund raiser in downtown Tampa, Florida on Thursday and decided to kill some time by taking in the Red Sox vs. Rays game Wednesday night at Tropicana Field.

The former Massachusetts governor and self-proclaimed Red Sox fan told reporters that he didn’t want any political questions for the evening, but that he’d be happy to “talk some baseball.”

So the reporters and Romney did talk baseball, and while doing so revealed that the 64-year-old Republican knows next to nothing about the current state of the sport. At least, he never watches it.

Romney was asked for his thoughts about Tropicana Field, an indoor stadium in St. Petersburg that the Rays have called home since 1998, over 12 years. His response, via Marc Topkin of the St. Pete Times:

“It’s cool – I had no idea,” Romney said. “I thought I was going to be in sweltering heat, but instead it’s cool, and a responsive and warm crowd.”

Romney “had no idea” that the Rays, who share a division with his beloved Red Sox, played in a dome.

Now, he’s a busy guy. Running a whole state is surely a demanding job and a presidential campaign must require a torturous schedule. But the Red Sox and Rays will meet 19 times this season and nine of those meetings will take place at The Trop. The Red Sox, in fact, have played over 100 games at Tropicana Field since its opening. And yet Romney didn’t know that the Rays have a dome.

Could it be that a politician is telling people that he’s one thing (an avid Red Sox supporter) and actually is not? What an outrage. What an uncommon occurrence. Be kind to each other in the comments.

1. O.Handwasher - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Doesn’t that make him the quintessential Red Sox fan? Who cares what somebody else’s pahk looks like?

• Glenn - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:43 PM

I think that makes him a quintessential politician, not a Red Sox fan. I think we can match our fan base’s knowledge up against anyone’s.

• hystoracle - Jun 16, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I think it makes him an idiot.
        The dome has been there for a LONG time. And the Rays have been playing there for 12 years now – including a hosting a playoff series against Boston a couple years ago.

• nudeman - Jun 16, 2011 at 12:59 PM

He’s a fraud. There isn’t a single thing about him that’s authentic, including the color of his hair and his ever changing opinion on healthcare, the economy, war and just about everything else.

I’m just surprised he didn’t ask “when did MLB dump the aluminum bat?”

• gugurich - Jun 16, 2011 at 1:58 AM

So a quintessential Red Sox fan only sees the home games and those played at Yankees Stadium? Are you sure you know what quintessential means?

2. aceshigh11 - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Not as bad as when Giuliani said he was simultaneously a Yankees and Red Sox fan.

Wow. Just wow.

This also reminds me of John Kerry’s “Lambert Field” gaffe in Wisconsin.

I can’t stand politicians who pander.

• GSheffield - Jun 16, 2011 at 12:23 AM

I hate Giuliani as much as the next guy, but I’m pretty sure it was Mike Bloomberg who was the simultaneous Sox/Yanks fan. Unacceptable no matter who it is.

• gammagammahey - Jun 16, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Bloomberg also referred to Joe Torre as “Joe Torres” (pronouncing it Taw-rez) while gesturing toward him at my college commencement. And this was in 2003. The man is not a sports fan, except for the revenue it brings in.

• bsandcs - Jun 16, 2011 at 9:59 AM

how about when boston mayor Menino talked about “Varitek splitting the uprights” in the superbowl…

3. aceshigh11 - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:39 PM

In other news, Josh Beckett just pitched a total gem of a 1-hitter against the Rays, K’ing 6 and walking none.

• Tim OShenko - Jun 15, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Good for Beckett! I bet he was relieved the game was indoors, so he wouldn’t have to deal with the sweltering heat and whatnot.

4. royalsfaninfargo - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:01 PM

This reminds me of when Pres. Obama was asked to name some of his favorite White Sox players of all time and couldnt name one.

• palehose56 - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Not to say Obama knows much about the Sox, but that’s a poor question considering he didn’t move to Chicago until he was in his twenties.

• purdueman - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:34 PM

You mean after Obama was born in Japan and then had his birth certificate falsified to show that he was born in Hawaii???

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 16, 2011 at 12:22 AM

I dont live in Chicago at all and i can name Frank Thomas.

• debage01 - Jun 16, 2011 at 12:31 AM

He may have been in his 20s when he moved to Chicago, but two decades later he should be able to name a Sox player

• palehose56 - Jun 16, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Frank Thomas’ first full season was the same year Obama turned 30. He grew up in his 30’s? The question wasn’t as you stated (‘favorite player of all time’). The question was, ‘who was your favorite player when you were growing up?’ It’s right in the blurb.

• jwbiii - Jun 16, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Hawaiian papers don’t really cover any particular team. They cover Hawaiian baseball players. If you were growing up in Hawaii now, the player that you would read about most would be Shane Victororino. At other times, Sid Fernandez or Benny Agbayani would have gotten top billing. When Obama was young, probably Mike Lum.

• royalsfaninfargo - Jun 16, 2011 at 12:25 AM

I am not trying to assert anything political about this at all. I just wanted to show that all politicians pander to their constituencies.

• tomemos - Jun 16, 2011 at 1:48 AM

Democrat and Obama supporter who cringed when I heard Obama fumble through that one (he eventually resorted to tired old “wine-sipping Cubs fans” cliches). He can walk the walk on basketball, but baseball…nope.

Obviously it doesn’t *really* matter, but it does bug me when any politician seeks the (probably tiny) political benefit of being perceived as a fan of a sport or team but doesn’t earn it.

5. jwbiii - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:09 PM

A similar gaffe made by Martha Coakley helped put Scott Brown in the senate. . .

6. oldpaddy - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:19 PM

I hate politicians. Show me an honest politician and I’ll show you a liar.

Howard Sterns penis!!!

7. Utley's Hair - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Drew, he hasn’t been governor since 2007, so he’s had plenty of time to follow his home team BooSux—oh…make that the Friars of San Diego.

But in his defense, the Trop isn’t a dome. I have no idea what it is—it does have some sort of roof—but it isn’t a dome.

8. purdueman - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:32 PM

What do you expect out of a Mormon? Unfortunately I’ve had to report to one (who was a two faced liar), and had neighbors who were one, and they are simply from a different planet… kindof like Al Gore, but much worse!

9. shaggylocks - Jun 15, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I’m willing to give Romney a pass on this one. I think every single Boston-based politician is required by law to be an avid Boston sports fan, regardless of whether or not he or she likes sports.

• hystoracle - Jun 16, 2011 at 11:34 AM

If you don’t know a lick about sports how “avid” are you, really?

10. raysfan1 - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Based on my team’s attendance figures, I’d say there are quite a few folks out there who do not know the Trop has a roof.

• purdueman - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Well, at least 2/3rd’s of a roof; the city clearly ran out of money when they got around to trying to finish left field.

11. dirtyharry1971 - Jun 15, 2011 at 11:59 PM

i heard the taliban are real big supporters of the redsox, they never miss a game on tv

12. jimtron11 - Jun 16, 2011 at 12:14 AM

LOL, Pretty fun that you leftists would choose to attack Romney for something like this, especially considering Obama, a self-proclaimed White Sox fan, couldn’t name a single White Sock (past or present) when being interviewed by the Nationals announcers during a game two years ago. I don’t seem to recall a writeup then, what’s up, G.E?

• Utley's Hair - Jun 16, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Well, there’s the whole “this thing hasn’t been around until last year” thing, and all. Oh, and I believe NBC is owned by Comcast now.

• debage01 - Jun 16, 2011 at 12:29 AM

The president also referred to the stadium the White Sox play in as “Cominsky Field.”

• jwbiii - Jun 16, 2011 at 12:54 AM

So does my wife, who has lived in Chicago all her life and visited the place where the ChiSox play dozens of times.

• bosfaninva - Jun 16, 2011 at 8:09 AM

Deion Sanders famously referred to interim Redskins Coach Terry Robiskie as “Coach Robinsky.”

• aceshigh11 - Jun 16, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Typical unhinged right-wing tirade.

Don’t you have a Congressperson to assassinate?

• david7590 - Jun 16, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Thats funny because Giffords was shot by a leftist Obamaite.

13. writtenbyross - Jun 16, 2011 at 6:34 AM

I’m not a Romney fan, but is there an actual quote of him claiming to be an “avid” Red Sox fan? I would think he’s a smart enough guy that if he would have called himself die hard he’d keep his mouth shut about what he doesn’t know. If he’s a casual fan there’s nothing wrong with him being honest about being excited when he learns something new like that.

And come one, when was the last time the Trop got good press?

14. Jason @ IIATMS - Jun 16, 2011 at 8:02 AM

At least Weiner is a fan of the Yanks

/too soon?

15. stairwayto7 - Jun 16, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Typical RedSox fan.. they know nothing and always make excuses!

16. liquidgrammar - Jun 16, 2011 at 9:15 AM

Not too soon on Weiner!!!! I hear he pulls for them every day!!!!!

17. simon94022 - Jun 16, 2011 at 9:33 AM

How did we get through all these comments without any mention of the all time classic? Sen John Kerry, presidential candidate and “big Red Sox fan” naming as his favorite player “Manny Ortiz”.

• professorperry - Jun 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Yeah. Worst response ever. It’s pretty clear Obama is actually a sports fan (at least, Baseball, basketball, football), whatever you think of his policies. Bush was/is actually a sports fan too, whatever you think of his policies.

It’s pretty clear Kerry is a pink-hat wearer, at best. Romney too.

18. Loren - Jun 16, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I’m no Romney fan, but in his defense, he might have known the Trop had a roof but was unaware that it had an air conditioner. That’s not just snark. I could see someone who had never been in a domed stadium thinking that, while it protected you from rain, the temperature was similar to outside temps.

19. bigdicktater - Jun 16, 2011 at 3:19 PM

If this lying moron of a former governor is the best the Republicans can trot out in 2012 they deserve to lose the election. I can’t believe half of their “contenders” are even getting serious consideration or support. God Bless America!

20. durabull1 - Jun 17, 2011 at 6:17 AM

I honestly wonder why this is a baseball story and shame on you Drew. I like your stuff but this one has nothing to do with baseball. I feel you just put it out there to stir the politcal kettle.

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4702)