Jun 15, 2011, 12:50 PM EDT
In the wake of Mark Connor resigning yesterday for personal reasons Jeff Zrebiec and Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun note that by replacing him with Rick Adair the Orioles have now changed pitching coaches 13 times in 17 years.
A couple guys have held the job twice during that span, but Connolly raises a good point by asking: “How can you expect a staff to be consistent when there is so much turnover with its direct supervisor?”
Obviously changing pitching coaches a bunch of times in 1990s doesn’t have any impact on the current Orioles’ pitching staff, but ditching Leo Mazzone after two years and then going through three different guys in the following four seasons certainly does.
Anything can affect a team for the better or worse so there’s no telling which way it will go. For us, we’re just losing someone we care for and we hope the best for him and the things he needs to handle. For me, some guys you work well with, other guys you don’t work as well with. That’s the most important thing. The transition itself isn’t too difficult. It’s, “How does the working relationship go?” And that’s something we’ll go through now with Rick as the pitching coach.
Adair is Guthrie’s fourth pitching coach in five seasons with the Orioles.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 115
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)