Jun 15, 2011, 12:50 PM EDT
In the wake of Mark Connor resigning yesterday for personal reasons Jeff Zrebiec and Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun note that by replacing him with Rick Adair the Orioles have now changed pitching coaches 13 times in 17 years.
A couple guys have held the job twice during that span, but Connolly raises a good point by asking: “How can you expect a staff to be consistent when there is so much turnover with its direct supervisor?”
Obviously changing pitching coaches a bunch of times in 1990s doesn’t have any impact on the current Orioles’ pitching staff, but ditching Leo Mazzone after two years and then going through three different guys in the following four seasons certainly does.
Anything can affect a team for the better or worse so there’s no telling which way it will go. For us, we’re just losing someone we care for and we hope the best for him and the things he needs to handle. For me, some guys you work well with, other guys you don’t work as well with. That’s the most important thing. The transition itself isn’t too difficult. It’s, “How does the working relationship go?” And that’s something we’ll go through now with Rick as the pitching coach.
Adair is Guthrie’s fourth pitching coach in five seasons with the Orioles.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 9
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)