Jun 15, 2011, 7:10 PM EDT
Even though the Padres will be using the designated hitter in Minnesota this weekend, they said after Wednesday’s game that they’re cutting veteran Jorge Cantu.
The move is likely clearing a spot for Orlando Hudson to come off the DL on Friday.
Cantu was signed to platoon with Brad Hawpe at first base and back up Chase Headley at third base, but he was a big failure in his role, hitting .194/.232/.285 with three homers in 144 at-bats. With the recent promotion of Anthony Rizzo, Cantu was no longer needed as a first baseman against lefties, leaving him with little to do.
It’s hard to say what’s next for Cantu. He drove in 100 runs in 2009, and he’s still just 29 years old. However, he’s struggled mightily over the last year and he’s a liability defensive anywhere except first base. He went unsigned into late January over the winter before settling for $850,000 from the Padres, and there should be even less demand for his services now. Odds are that he’ll have to spend some time in Triple-A before getting another shot.
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 0
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 9
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 28
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 5
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3