Jun 15, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
Dexter Fowler is currently on the disabled list with an abdominal injury and recently started a minor-league rehab assignment, but Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies have told the center fielder he’ll remain at Triple-A even after getting healthy.
In other words, the rehab assignment will eventually turn into a demotion and then Fowler will have to play his way back to the majors. All of which is what may have happened anyway had the injury not occurred.
According to Renck the Rockies have told Fowler that he “needs to make significant adjustments with his left-handed swing,” which has been a frequent topic this week as speculation swirls around his possibly giving up switch-hitting.
However, as our own Matthew Pouliot pointed out yesterday Fowler’s production throughout his career as a left-handed hitter hasn’t been that much worse than his production as a right-handed hitter, and in fact last season he had a higher OPS from the left side.
Fowler hasn’t exactly been dominant as a right-handed hitter and the much bigger issue is that he’s hit just .225 with a .646 OPS in 172 career games away from Coors Field. Which side of the plate he’s swinging from seems to be getting far too much attention and the fact that he’s simply not a very good hitter, period, seems to be getting overlooked.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)