Jun 15, 2011, 2:49 PM EST
Dexter Fowler is currently on the disabled list with an abdominal injury and recently started a minor-league rehab assignment, but Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies have told the center fielder he’ll remain at Triple-A even after getting healthy.
In other words, the rehab assignment will eventually turn into a demotion and then Fowler will have to play his way back to the majors. All of which is what may have happened anyway had the injury not occurred.
According to Renck the Rockies have told Fowler that he “needs to make significant adjustments with his left-handed swing,” which has been a frequent topic this week as speculation swirls around his possibly giving up switch-hitting.
However, as our own Matthew Pouliot pointed out yesterday Fowler’s production throughout his career as a left-handed hitter hasn’t been that much worse than his production as a right-handed hitter, and in fact last season he had a higher OPS from the left side.
Fowler hasn’t exactly been dominant as a right-handed hitter and the much bigger issue is that he’s hit just .225 with a .646 OPS in 172 career games away from Coors Field. Which side of the plate he’s swinging from seems to be getting far too much attention and the fact that he’s simply not a very good hitter, period, seems to be getting overlooked.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)