Jun 15, 2011, 2:49 PM EDT
Dexter Fowler is currently on the disabled list with an abdominal injury and recently started a minor-league rehab assignment, but Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies have told the center fielder he’ll remain at Triple-A even after getting healthy.
In other words, the rehab assignment will eventually turn into a demotion and then Fowler will have to play his way back to the majors. All of which is what may have happened anyway had the injury not occurred.
According to Renck the Rockies have told Fowler that he “needs to make significant adjustments with his left-handed swing,” which has been a frequent topic this week as speculation swirls around his possibly giving up switch-hitting.
However, as our own Matthew Pouliot pointed out yesterday Fowler’s production throughout his career as a left-handed hitter hasn’t been that much worse than his production as a right-handed hitter, and in fact last season he had a higher OPS from the left side.
Fowler hasn’t exactly been dominant as a right-handed hitter and the much bigger issue is that he’s hit just .225 with a .646 OPS in 172 career games away from Coors Field. Which side of the plate he’s swinging from seems to be getting far too much attention and the fact that he’s simply not a very good hitter, period, seems to be getting overlooked.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 0
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 36
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 14
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)